Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji XT2 Acros image  (Read 175252 times)

mtakeda

Fuji XT2 Acros image
« on: August 22, 2017, 10:54:47 pm »

I just bought this camera mainly because of Acros option. When I import the raw image of Acros into Lightroom they are shown as black and white but as soon as they are moved to the develop module they are change to color image. Is this the way it is? Ot is it waste to shoot raw image of Acros? Please comment. Thank you.

Rand47

Re: Fuji XT2 Acros image
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 11:49:38 pm »

I just bought this camera mainly because of Acros option. When I import the raw image of Acros into Lightroom they are shown as black and white but as soon as they are moved to the develop module they are change to color image. Is this the way it is? Ot is it waste to shoot raw image of Acros? Please comment. Thank you.

Fuji's film simulatiions only affect jpeg files, not raw files.  The only way to get to Acros in raw is to use the "Camera Calibration" panel, and select Adobe's version of Acros (pretty darn close to Fuji's) in that panel.

Try setting your camera to record raw + jpeg.  Set film sim to Acros, and then tell LR to see jpegs as "separate files" so that the jpeg and RAF files are both imported.  Then use the Camera Calibration panel to change the RAF to Acros.  Compare Fuji's Acros jpeg to Adobe's Camera Calibration version of Acros in order to get a sense of how close, or not, you feel it is.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

mtakeda

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 03:29:39 pm »

Thank you for your advice. I process the same color image via LR camera calibration per your comment and compared to my noramal process blank and white. Comparing them side by side I liked the mid tone from camera calibration path better. That means I do not need to set up film simulation in the camera?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 03:42:18 pm »

You don't really need to set the film simulation, but you may want to do so. It can be that you shoot the picture intending it to have a particular look, maybe a red filter B&W or a gentler yellow filter look, or I've certainly taken pictures with my XT2 where the use of a film simulation made me change my composition, just like with B&W film and colour filters.

Adobe and Fuji cooperated to produce the profiles in the camera calibration tab, and the colours are indeed pretty close. If you want to automatically match profiles to the film simulation you had used, my X-LR plugin reads the Fuji film simulation data from the raw file. Take a look - the link is in my signature.

John
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 03:45:54 pm by john beardsworth »

Rand47

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 05:10:00 pm »

Thank you for your advice. I process the same color image via LR camera calibration per your comment and compared to my noramal process blank and white. Comparing them side by side I liked the mid tone from camera calibration path better. That means I do not need to set up film simulation in the camera?

I agree with John.  You don't need an import pre-set, though if all you are shooting is monochrome there's nothing wrong with that.  And, setting the film simulation "in camera" to Acros enables you to "see and compose in monochrome" which can be a good guide.

Another approach, though a bit slower, is to use the Fuji's "in camera raw processor."  Using that you can spin off as many jpegs as you like in the various Acros + filter that you like.  Increase / decrease sharpness, grain, etc.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 02:54:21 am »

You don't need an import pre-set, though if all you are shooting is monochrome there's nothing wrong with that.  And, setting the film simulation "in camera" to Acros enables you to "see and compose in monochrome" which can be a good guide.

Applying a B&W preset during import only applies one B&W style. The trouble is, there isn't only one monochrome, and you may (or should) have deliberately chosen Acros+Green for some of the pictures, preferred Acros+Red for others, etc. That's what led me to write the plugin, so you can take advantage of seeing the B&W treatment in the electronic viewfinder and then apply that look to the raw file in LR.

AndyS

• http://www.astannard.com
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 07:14:56 am »

Hi,

It's worth pointing out that an in-camera ACROS JPG includes Fuji's grain simulation. This is a more complex (and nicer in my opinion) grain emulation than that provided in Lightroom - and can't be properly reproduced from the RAW file in Lightroom. I sometimes like to shoot at high-iso with ACRO JPGs just to get some nice grain :)

Acros Film Simulation Details

The Fuji cameras do have a lovely built in RAW convertor, that lets you play around with film emulation contrast, highlights, shadows, exposure etc, and then output a full-res JPG once you're happy.

Regards,
Andy.

Rand47

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 12:35:00 pm »

Hi,

It's worth pointing out that an in-camera ACROS JPG includes Fuji's grain simulation. This is a more complex (and nicer in my opinion) grain emulation than that provided in Lightroom - and can't be properly reproduced from the RAW file in Lightroom. I sometimes like to shoot at high-iso with ACRO JPGs just to get some nice grain :)

Acros Film Simulation Details

The Fuji cameras do have a lovely built in RAW convertor, that lets you play around with film emulation contrast, highlights, shadows, exposure etc, and then output a full-res JPG once you're happy.

Regards,
Andy.

Good info.  Another reason the OP might want to consider using the in-camera raw processor to spin off variations of Acros jpegs.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

TommyWeir

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 01:54:59 pm »

I shoot RAW+JPEG set to Acros+Y for my default setup on my X-T2.   

I use Capture One however and there's a number of presets that approximate quite closely the Fuji versions.  As noted by Andy, the grain simulation on the camera is unique, highlights always seem to fall off gracefully, lots to like in their simulation.    Anyway, I find that with the occasional tweak, the Acros JPEG is generally very usable indeed and quite often ends up being my chosen final image.

It's worth experimenting and getting a few setups programmed into the Quick menu.  I have ones using Chrome and ProNeg Hi.  I've one high contrast Acros+R with grain maximised version.  It's fun to be able to confine a city walk to it.

mtakeda

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 06:33:41 pm »

Thank you for all kind input. I will try John's plugin.

David S

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 12:40:08 pm »

On reason to use RAW+JPEG and set the camera to the Acros image setting is that the viewfinder shows you what the image will look like. Also the JPEG can be used if you use the large JPEG setting.

Dave S

Telecaster

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 05:47:32 pm »

I'm much impressed by Fuji's Acros emulation. IMO it's way past time for a 16-bits-per-channel lossy standard, whether a JPEG variant or otherwise.

-Dave-

BAB

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 06:19:14 pm »

If you don't shoot RAW+JPEG you will get an image that you love and wish you had enough pixels do maybe do something with that image that the JPEG wont allow.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic
Pages: [1]   Go Up