Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200 Drive belt replacement snag...one of these things is not like the others  (Read 1026 times)

dkennedy2016

I've posted once before and had great success getting help with my Z3200 so I'm hoping for a second strike of lightning.  Last week the main belt finally bit the dust after 6.5 years of service.  Although, now that I realize all the gray crud that has been plagueing me had been coming from it, I think I should have replaced it a couple years ago.  Any ways, I digress.

For reference, I have a 44" Z3200 Photo model Q6719A.  I mention this because I wonder if it's relevent.

The service manual, Mark Lindquist's pictures on z3200.com, and the video by Bryan Glynn all show the same attachment method for the belt to the carriage.  Up to that point, everything had matched from the  manuals and the videos and my printer, so I had forgone Mark's suggestion of photographing everything as I went.  Unforunately, I did not snap a photo of the way the old shredded belt was attached to the carriage, because when I went to thread the new one on, I realized something was different.

This is a photo of the attachment points on my printer' carriage (with the new belt laying on top of it)

For reference, Mark's photo of what the attachment on his (and in the manual) is the second photo down on this page.

So, I think I figured out how to put the belt back on, but I do see two options (originally I saw a third, which was that the bottom of the band somehow threaded onto the part as well, but I have since ruled that option out as t doesn't make sense to have it "pinch" at any point.)

Here is the option I think is correct.

Here's the option that makes use of the little triangular tabs, but I don't think it makes sense:
Here's the option that makes more use of the tabs, but I don't think it makes sense to give the belt "wings"

The HP oil was just delivered by FedEx a few moments ago so once a consensus is reached I can begin reassembly.  Thanks so much!

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS

Hmmmm.  What happens if you flip the belt over?

What year was your Z3200 manufactured?  (Says on back left of printer)
24" or 44"?

A Rev or B Rev?

Where did you get the replacement belt?

LPS?

Was there any other part that got moved out of the way on the Printhead?  Like  on the clamp device?

Hmmmmm.

Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

dkennedy2016

Hmmmm.  What happens if you flip the belt over?

What year was your Z3200 manufactured?  (Says on back left of printer)
24" or 44"?

A Rev or B Rev?

Where did you get the replacement belt?

LPS?

Was there any other part that got moved out of the way on the Printhead?  Like  on the clamp device?

Hmmmmm.

Hi Mark,
It is a 44" built December 8, 2010 and it's a Revision A (Q6719A).  I actually went ahead with the reinstall this afternoon after watching and re-watching Bryan's video and the way it was threaded is very similar to the photo I posted saying I was pretty sure it was right.  It's just rather surprising that there's an entirely different interface there!

And yes, the belt is from LPS.

Printer seems to be working.  Just finished with all of the things that the service manual wants me to do...from what I've been reading it sounds like a lot of people run into the carriage test complaining that the colorsensor has an unacceptable Delta E and quitting (error 58:11).  I ran the color sensor test separately (COL) and it passed with a Delta E of 4.26, and the scan axis and other tests went fine.

About to make a test print...here goes something?

At minimum, maybe this post will serve someone else who is also surprised to find a different attachment method on the carriage.  I know I was caught off guard!

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS

Hi Mark,
It is a 44" built December 8, 2010 and it's a Revision A (Q6719A).  I actually went ahead with the reinstall this afternoon after watching and re-watching Bryan's video and the way it was threaded is very similar to the photo I posted saying I was pretty sure it was right.  It's just rather surprising that there's an entirely different interface there!

And yes, the belt is from LPS.

Printer seems to be working.  Just finished with all of the things that the service manual wants me to do...from what I've been reading it sounds like a lot of people run into the carriage test complaining that the colorsensor has an unacceptable Delta E and quitting (error 58:11).  I ran the color sensor test separately (COL) and it passed with a Delta E of 4.26, and the scan axis and other tests went fine.

About to make a test print...here goes something?

At minimum, maybe this post will serve someone else who is also surprised to find a different attachment method on the carriage.  I know I was caught off guard!

OK, so very good you got it running.  I have not seen that configuration before, either.  Strange.
Good for you for figuring it out. 
Yes the colorsensor test never works - it's a bug.  Sounds like you should be good to go with it.

Would very much like to hear that it's passed a printhead diagnostic test and is printing perfectly.

Good work - sounds like you've done everything right.

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up