Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cost Effective Source for Gator Board  (Read 2775 times)

ad9t

Cost Effective Source for Gator Board
« on: August 14, 2017, 05:58:03 pm »

I plan to mount a few prints on self-adhesive Gator Board and need a cost effective source.  Can anyone suggest a good local, or cheap online source for Gator Board? I live in the Indianapolis area.

My printer max width is 17in. Prints will mostly be around 25 inches long. I may also make some longer panoramas. I have not seen Gator Board pre-cut to 17 inches. I may have to go with the next size up.

Jeff

Frodo

Re: Cost Effective Source for Gator Board
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 07:34:53 pm »

Hi Jeff

I realise that this is not an answer to your question, but I use MDF fibreboard, roller-painted with a sealer/undercoat, and the print attached with Scotch 568 positionable adhesive.  I use a router to shape the edges and paint the edges in matt black.  This gives me considerable flexibility with sizes and thicknesses.

I don't know how archival this is, but I hope that the use of sealer/undercoat will prevent degradation of the print, at least in the medium term.  I have decade old prints on unsealed MDF.  The only issue is the spray adhesive has let go in the corners of a few of the prints. I'm hoping that the Scotch adhesive will be more permanent.

Bob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 08:55:03 pm »

Hi Jeff,

Here is a link to source...

http://www.foamboardsource.com/gatorfoams--gatorfoam.html?gclid=CP3GkJ-D2NUCFVKHswodMQgFug

Look around on their site. I use them.

Peter

Mike Raub

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 05:11:55 pm »

Here are some online places I have ordered adhesive coated mount boards from in the past:

http://codamount.com/

http://www.artgrafix.net/store/page52.html

snowrs

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 12:33:48 pm »

I second FoamBoardSource. 

They have many pre-cut sizes and will cut to custom sizes.  I have used them for several years, and they have always impressed me with their excellent packing...unbelieveable! 

I normally use Sintra with adhesive on one side, but have also used the Gatorfoam product and the less expensive but non archival foamboard.

bob snow

stockjock

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 04:33:02 pm »

As long as you are willing to hot glue some sort of rigid support to the back Sintra is easier to use than Gator.  Artgrafix.net is a good source when their products are on sale.

CeeVee

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 03:45:19 pm »

I find gator board sheds (we buy 4x8s and cut down), foam board is even worse and Sintra is not cheap and difficult to cut.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

patjoja

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2018, 12:58:20 am »

I second FoamBoardSource. 

They have many pre-cut sizes and will cut to custom sizes.  I have used them for several years, and they have always impressed me with their excellent packing...unbelieveable! 

I normally use Sintra with adhesive on one side, but have also used the Gatorfoam product and the less expensive but non archival foamboard.

bob snow

Another vote for FoamBoardSource.  Pricing seems to be some of the best online, and there are many available sizes so I don't have to resize.

Patrick

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 10:55:02 am »

+1 on foamboardsource.  I had an issue with quality control on a recent Gator shipment.  Refund was prompt and courteous.
Pages: [1]   Go Up