Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem w/Final Print Size  (Read 3396 times)

gdi

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
Problem w/Final Print Size
« on: August 05, 2017, 06:02:25 pm »

I have a Pro-4000 and printed a canvas 36x54 for a gallery wrap.  I used Photoshop and use the Canon Layout Plugin to set the borders and edge reflection, and then final print with the Canon Print Studio Pro plugin.

Everything looks great, except the final print dimensions are slightly smaller than stated in the software - instead of 54 inches wide the print area (excluding the edges and extension) is 53.375".  This obviously causes a problem when stretching the canvas.  I was sure not to leave any "fit to paper size" type settings on.

Has anyone seen the same problem, or have any suggestions?  I find the PS ->Layout Plugin-> Print Studio Pro  workflow to be very appealing, I just have to figure out how to get the final print to right size.

Thanks
Logged

Bako88fan

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
Re: Problem w/Final Print Size
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 09:40:05 pm »

I had the same problem with my HP drivers for my z3100 and z6100. It ended up being the margin settings. I don't have a Canon but since the issue was the same, I'd start with the margin setting first. I had to switch the margins to oversize.
Logged

gdi

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
Re: Problem w/Final Print Size
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 08:07:23 pm »

I'll try to do some testing with margins to see if it helps, thanks.
Logged

mkihne

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 83
Re: Problem w/Final Print Size
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 11:07:14 pm »

Is this measured after coating?
Logged

gdi

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
Re: Problem w/Final Print Size
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 04:42:59 pm »

Is this measured after coating?

Either way - before or after the size is off.  Thx
Logged

stcstc31

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 53
Re: Problem w/Final Print Size
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 07:00:15 am »

some canvas does shrink slightly as it comes off the roll as it put on under tension, its not because of that maybe?
Logged
Stephen Crozier

www.360-dpi.com

Ernst Dinkla

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4036
Re: Problem w/Final Print Size
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 10:14:42 am »

I have a Pro-4000 and printed a canvas 36x54 for a gallery wrap.  I used Photoshop and use the Canon Layout Plugin to set the borders and edge reflection, and then final print with the Canon Print Studio Pro plugin.

Everything looks great, except the final print dimensions are slightly smaller than stated in the software - instead of 54 inches wide the print area (excluding the edges and extension) is 53.375".  This obviously causes a problem when stretching the canvas.  I was sure not to leave any "fit to paper size" type settings on.

Has anyone seen the same problem, or have any suggestions?  I find the PS ->Layout Plugin-> Print Studio Pro  workflow to be very appealing, I just have to figure out how to get the final print to right size.

Thanks

There is no compensation setting in the Canon Layout or Print Studio Pro plug-in for canvas shrinking while there is edge reflection and a border option aboard for canvas ?  That seems to be overlooked then.  I added that step in my Canvas Wrap Actions right away. It has to said though that Qimage got the wrap features also ahead of shrink compensation.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Logged

gdi

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
Re: Problem w/Final Print Size
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 07:06:00 pm »

I question that it is shrinking canvas.  It is only short in the long dimension, but still correct in the short dimension.  I am quite sure that it is coming right off the printer that way.  I read that sometimes the printers will not feed the canvas correctly - so maybe there is a calibration option?
Logged

Ernst Dinkla

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4036
Re: Problem w/Final Print Size
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 04:04:16 am »

I question that it is shrinking canvas.  It is only short in the long dimension, but still correct in the short dimension.  I am quite sure that it is coming right off the printer that way.  I read that sometimes the printers will not feed the canvas correctly - so maybe there is a calibration option?

To me that information says; canvas shrinking!  No compensation setting in the plug-ins?

Ernst, op de lei getypt.
Logged

gdi

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
Re: Problem w/Final Print Size
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2017, 05:11:56 am »

The plugin has settings for the width of the bars and the extension onto the back of the bars.  So it will shrink in only one direction? It seems that if it were shrinking it would effect both length and width.
Logged

Ernst Dinkla

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4036
Re: Problem w/Final Print Size
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 07:44:12 am »

The plugin has settings for the width of the bars and the extension onto the back of the bars.  So it will shrink in only one direction? It seems that if it were shrinking it would effect both length and width.

There have been several theories what actually causes the shrinking of the canvas. The more because it is not the same percentage between different canvas qualities. If it was rolled upon the core with a lot of tension you can expect a time traject for the shrinking to its normal shape when it is unrolled, the ink applied might cause a faster return to that last shape. In theory that tension could also decrease the width of the canvas on the core, imagine bandage applied on a leg or arm, the bandage gets smaller. Inkjet coating etc reduces that effect and the manufacturers will keep an eye on the tension applied. But I would not expect that the width of the canvas shrinks after derolling, more chance it widens.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Logged

hogloff

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1194
Re: Problem w/Final Print Size
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 08:33:34 am »

I agree with Ernst. The tension is in the length when it's rolled up, not the with. It's this tension that is released when the canvas is unrolled that is causing the shrinkage.

You can try unravel and cut some canvas and let sit for a day or two, then print on this cut canvas to see if the shrinkage is gone.
Logged

dgberg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2954
    • http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Problem w/Final Print Size
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 09:20:39 am »

Yes it is the well documented shrinkage issue.
Since we custom cut our stretcher bars we just take the measurement after we spray coat the canvas then build the stretcher bar frame.
Also in Lightroom we have advanced media/paper feed adjustment set to +70 It does help but still not perfect.
Logged
Dan Berg
http://www.bergsprintstudio.com/workshops/
Our Studio is a Canson Certified Print Lab

arobinson7547

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 190
Re: Problem w/Final Print Size
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 05:32:10 pm »

In many Proofing Rips, a 4ft. Scale is printed and then measured. The 'actual' size is entered into the Rip and a Compensation is calculated, that essentially Scales the job (longer or shorter) to adjust for the difference between printed and measured (actual) size.

So, if the the Job printed one half inch short (in the feed direction) the job would be increased in size to compensate. The Rip does the Calculation. But, if you print that same scale again with the Compensation applied; now when you measure 4 Feet Scale, it measures 4 Feet.

Try to [manually] increase/decrease the length of your job in Photoshop, just before Printing and see what you get. You can still benefit from Printing a 4 Foot Scale and measuring the difference to see how much the print is off — as a starting point

Even if you make your scale a little longer [or shorter] to simulate your typical size, better one of these then many wasted prints
Logged

gdi

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
Re: Problem w/Final Print Size
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 07:23:58 pm »

Ok, I  see what you guys mean now. 

I like the idea of printing a scale, and using that to estimate the compensation.  But I do dread wasting 4+ feet of expensive canvas -  I estimate it will cost around $24-25 for my 44" Lyve, and I assume I would need that for every type canvas I use.  But better to dial it in now, I suppose. 

Any tips on creating an accurate scale to print out in Photoshop?

Thanks to all.



Logged

hogloff

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1194
Re: Problem w/Final Print Size
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 09:45:50 pm »

Ok, I  see what you guys mean now. 

I like the idea of printing a scale, and using that to estimate the compensation.  But I do dread wasting 4+ feet of expensive canvas -  I estimate it will cost around $24-25 for my 44" Lyve, and I assume I would need that for every type canvas I use.  But better to dial it in now, I suppose. 

Any tips on creating an accurate scale to print out in Photoshop?

Thanks to all.

I'd also think the stretching would vary depending where you are on my he roll. Outside part of the roll might stretch less than the inner part.

I always stretch to the size of the print after coating it.
Logged

Ernst Dinkla

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4036
Re: Problem w/Final Print Size
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 03:01:18 am »

Ok, I  see what you guys mean now. 

I like the idea of printing a scale, and using that to estimate the compensation.  But I do dread wasting 4+ feet of expensive canvas -  I estimate it will cost around $24-25 for my 44" Lyve, and I assume I would need that for every type canvas I use.  But better to dial it in now, I suppose. 

Any tips on creating an accurate scale to print out in Photoshop?

Thanks to all.

You got a print already. Check what the original image size was at printing time and the resulting image size on the print (apply some stretch tension) and calculate the + percentage you need for the next jobs. This is not a Mars landing thing, there will always be some differences per print.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
Logged

gdi

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
Re: Problem w/Final Print Size
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 07:14:27 am »

No, it's not rocket science, but it needs to be in the ballpark at any length to minimize hassles.  I am not inclined to cut my own stretcher bars, and will continue to buy them in standard sizes.

I still need to do some testing to better understand what is going on.  I read several things here - that the shrinkage is due to coating ( I know that this is not the only reason, since I measured prior to coating),  that it is the ink that shrinks the canvas, and finally that it is a result of the canvas being stretched as it is wound on the roll then "shrinking" as it comes off the printer. Very different reasons that may require different solutions.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up