Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monkey sues photographer over selfie  (Read 2751 times)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Monkey sues photographer over selfie
« on: August 05, 2017, 05:57:59 pm »

Monkey selfie photographer says he's broke: 'I'm thinking of dog walking'

David Slater has been fighting for years over who has the copyright to photos taken by monkeys using his camera, and says he’s struggling as a result.

Monkey sues photographer

Cheers,
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 01:31:33 am by tom b »
Tom Brown

tom b

Re: Monkey sues photographer over selfie
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 06:19:16 am »

Honestly, can a monkey hold copyright of an image. Surely there should be some response. Has LuLa become so indifferent to professional photographers needs?

Worried,
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 06:39:16 am by tom b »
Tom Brown

Farmer

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 06:55:40 am »

Sorry, Tom - it's just that this story has been ongoing for so long and even the most recent struggle and situation are a couple of weeks old.  It's absurd.  I really am troubled by Wikipedia being one of the lead protagonists here - they take a view of copyright that it basically shouldn't exist because they want to use anything they want and that troubles me because it's such a good project but on this issue Jimmy Wales is miles off target.

Anywhere other than the US I would have said no way a monkey can hold copyright.  It has no legal standing to do so.  The owner of the monkey, maybe, if it's in a zoo or something.  The whole situation is absurd.
Phil Brown

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 03:00:45 pm »

It is ridiculous. If this monkey has the copyright, then every photo where an animal has tripped an infra red beam, is owned by that animal. I would suggest paying into their bank accounts. Good luck with that.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 03:48:52 pm »

Has anyone interviewed the monkey to get its opinion?  (Sorry, couldn't stop myself.)
--
Robert

BJL

Monkey [actually PETA] sues photographer over selfie
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 03:58:16 pm »

There are two separate legal issues here.

One is the case which denied the camera owner's claim to copyright, and put the image in the public domain. That is the one involving TechDirt and then Wikipedia.

The other far more absurd case is the one taken by lawyers employed by PETA on the farcical claim that they represent the monkey which pressed the shutter release on the camera, claiming copyright for the monkey. I am mystified as to why the courts have not dismissed that case on the basis that the lawyers have no standing, given that they have no evidence that the monkey wants this case to be pursued by them (or anyone else). That case also wants the owners of web-sites that allow self-publishing to be financially responsible for copyright violations, which could potentially shut down sites like LuLa if people start suing over copyright claims to images posted in forums or on blogs. (Take-down orders might be appropriate in that case, but nothing more.)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 04:22:39 pm »

Has anyone interviewed the monkey to get its opinion?  (Sorry, couldn't stop myself.)

Just wait till the said monkey becomes Time's Person of the Year ;)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 07:40:49 pm »

or runs for president

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 08:08:12 pm »

or runs for president

Now you are just monkeying around 😀

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Monkey [actually PETA] sues photographer over selfie
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 04:05:50 am »

The other far more absurd case is the one taken by lawyers employed by PETA on the farcical claim that they represent the monkey which pressed the shutter release on the camera, claiming copyright for the monkey. I am mystified as to why the courts have not dismissed that case on the basis that the lawyers have no standing, given that they have no evidence that the monkey wants this case to be pursued by them (or anyone else).

A court (why the plural?) has done just that, albeit not in quite those terms, as I understand it; the case has been dismissed but an appeal is proceeding.

Jeremy

BJL

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 06:54:21 am »

A court (why the plural?) has done just that, albeit not in quite those terms, as I understand it; the case has been dismissed but an appeal is proceeding.
I'm glad to hear that the case has been rejected again; last I heard, a settlement was being planned.

I said "courts" because the case has gone through appeals and thus several courts, dragging on for about two years, and I am puzzled why multiple judges did not dismiss it more quickly.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/08/monkey-selfie-animal-rights-brouhaha-devolves-into-a-settlement/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:05:59 am by BJL »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 03:02:54 pm »

I'm glad to hear that the case has been rejected again; last I heard, a settlement was being planned.

I said "courts" because the case has gone through appeals and thus several courts, dragging on for about two years, and I am puzzled why multiple judges did not dismiss it more quickly.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/08/monkey-selfie-animal-rights-brouhaha-devolves-into-a-settlement/

Interesting; and thanks for the link. I now know that what we call a respondent, Americans call an appellee. It's a sad day when you learn nothing new.

Jeremy

Rand47

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 01:44:06 pm »

Hey, no primate bashing.  This is typical of you conservative, xenophobes!  You should be severely punished by the full force of the law for being so intolerant of the "right way to think."  What's the matter with you?  Don't  you know that we're merely another primate?  To suggest that a fellow primate shouldn't be Time's Person of the Year (or president for that matter - we got really close on this last election) only shows the depths of your shallow thinking.  An outrage, I say!  The only legitimate "non-persons" allowed in this paradigm are the unborn. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

tom b

Tom Brown
Pages: [1]   Go Up