Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this a good idea?  (Read 1664 times)

Mad_Reptilian

Is this a good idea?
« on: July 31, 2017, 11:23:12 pm »

I have been creating these collage images of our digital photos for a few years now. The concept is to simply merge a number of digital photos into a single image, by erasing and blending the backgrounds of the photos, then printing the final image onto a stretched canvas. I would like to get some feedback from professionals if you think this is a sellable concept or not? I have only created these images for personal use. But I've considered creating these images on the side to generate extra income. However, I feel torn that most people would not be willing to pay for the custom work required to create such an image. I feel most people would opt for a linear collage from Costco or other online printers. I'm estimating I would charge about $200 for a 16" x 20" canvas using 12-15 images. I can create any size, but just giving an example for price. Appreciate any input.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Is this a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 09:41:49 am »

The difficulty is convincing people that your work (underpriced at $200 for the amount of time involved with what should be regarded as a high level skill) is worth paying for when there are a number of websites and apps out there that fulfill a similar service; e.g.
Fotor.com
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Mad_Reptilian

Re: Is this a good idea?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 11:32:32 am »

I agree. That seems to be the biggest sticking point is conveying the handmade quality of my collages vs. adding photos to pre-made templates. My belief is the general public would not be willing to step up to pricing worthy of the labor. I could be wrong, but we live in a time of "instant gratification". I appreciate you stating that it is underpriced at $200. I was throwing out a number that people wouldn't choke on while still making it worth my time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up