Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A move up / sideways from Lr? What other PP software would you recommend?  (Read 4511 times)

FataMorgana

Hello.
Using a number of 35mm FF digital different bodies, D800, a7r, M240, rendering their respective RAW files out as DNG's, I was considering an alternative post processing software to Lr.

Reasons: maybe give the files a different look, perhaps?
Extract extra information?
Learn another work flow?
Give me a fresh perspective on my work, both current and old RAW files too?

Has anyone any experience of this?

I have had no end of issues within cataloging in Lr since day-dot, which has lead me to set up a catalogue each shoot - don't go there  - so leaving catalogues behind doesn't concern me.

What should I be looking at please as to alternative software, I was recommended the Phase 1 and PhotoMechanic?

Thanks.
Sony 2018 Professional Shortlist. 22 IPA H'Mentions 2017-15 +a 2nd 2016, Px3 cat' winner 2008

patjoja

Hello.
Using a number of 35mm FF digital different bodies, D800, a7r, M240, rendering their respective RAW files out as DNG's, I was considering an alternative post processing software to Lr.

Reasons: maybe give the files a different look, perhaps?
Extract extra information?
Learn another work flow?
Give me a fresh perspective on my work, both current and old RAW files too?

Has anyone any experience of this?

I have had no end of issues within cataloging in Lr since day-dot, which has lead me to set up a catalogue each shoot - don't go there  - so leaving catalogues behind doesn't concern me.

What should I be looking at please as to alternative software, I was recommended the Phase 1 and PhotoMechanic?

Thanks.
My workflow is generally Lightroom for cataloging and sorting, Photoshop for de-noising and first cut sharpening, DXO Optics 11 for expanding the dynamic range, and then back to Lightroom for tweaking in Develop Module before printing, and then printing from Lightroom.

Patrick

mbaginy

For a while, I had contemplated a switch from LR to some other software.  In the end, I decided against such a migration.

While my catalog isn’t massive, I didn’t want to lose my adjustments, didn’t feel like acquiring proficiency with new software, didn’t feel like the time investment and learning curve was worth it for my use.

I’d rather invest time taking photographs, participating in exhibitions or working on book projects.  I like LR (with limited PS use) and the workflow, have become confident in using the tools I regularly use.  Having said that, I’m still not thrilled with the printing module, but I’ve learned to deal with it.

I suggest you view everything such a switch would require and weigh the pros and cons.

Tibor O

kirkt

Mac or PC?

For sort and culling raw files:

Fast Raw Viewer

For raw conversion:

Capture One
DxO
Iridient Developer (MacOnly)
Raw Photo Processor (MacOnly).

kirk

32BT

• Pictures

I just tested loading a camera dcp file in iridient and it seems to then mimic the adobe colorrendering exactly. I don't like the multitude of sliders and seperate versions for each option, but it's increasingly clear that it's a speedy and capable converter. It's even plenty interactive on my near obsolete mid 2009 macbook pro.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

I just tested loading a camera dcp file in iridient and it seems to then mimic the adobe colorrendering exactly. I don't like the multitude of sliders and seperate versions for each option, but it's increasingly clear that it's a speedy and capable converter. It's even plenty interactive on my near obsolete mid 2009 macbook pro.
It's an awesome product. I keep hoping Adobe will buy em out; they need this kind of help.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

32BT

• Pictures

It's an awesome product. I keep hoping Adobe will buy em out; they need this kind of help.

Hahaha, omg no, I rather have Fuji buy em out, so it is provided gratuitous with the camera, instead of ... gasp ... cough ... subscription only .. cough

;-b
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures
Pages: [1]   Go Up