Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any camera offering blacked-out cropped viewfinder?  (Read 2340 times)

gwhitf

Any camera offering blacked-out cropped viewfinder?
« on: July 14, 2017, 04:26:34 pm »

I remember for an older 5D you could buy these black-out focusing screens from Canon, that could simulate 4x5 and square-crop. I don't think I can change focusing screens in my 5DMarkIII.

Does any modern 35mm digital camera offer a viewfinder system, where the viewfinder can be blacked out (not just a simple thin crop line) to show 4x5 or square proportion?

Thank you.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Any camera offering blacked-out cropped viewfinder?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 05:00:15 pm »

I remember for an older 5D you could buy these black-out focusing screens from Canon, that could simulate 4x5 and square-crop. I don't think I can change focusing screens in my 5DMarkIII.

Does any modern 35mm digital camera offer a viewfinder system, where the viewfinder can be blacked out (not just a simple thin crop line) to show 4x5 or square proportion?

GFX 50S, D4, and, I believe but am not sure, D5.

Jim

CeeVee

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 05:47:35 pm »

This, legacy crop marks, is so obvious it puzzles me why it isn't touted by all camera companies. Surely no one owns the rights to traditional photo crops!??

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

wallpaperviking

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:22:54 pm »

The Nikon D810 as well....

Was looking at that before I got the GFX.

The "aspect ratios" available on this camera are awesome!  I also do not understand why EVERY camera with an EVF does not have these options!

Sony, I am especially looking at you..

BJL

Re: Any camera offering blacked-out cropped viewfinder? In OVF or EVF?
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 03:41:50 pm »

Are you asking about OVFs in DSLRs? In all the digital cameras I have used, the EVF (if present) and the rear-screen LCD show just the selected crop surrounded by black, typically using the dead-space for extra info display. But some posts suggest that Sony's EVF cameras do not do this.

wallpaperviking

Re: Any camera offering blacked-out cropped viewfinder? In OVF or EVF?
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 03:34:49 am »

Are you asking about OVFs in DSLRs? In all the digital cameras I have used, the EVF (if present) and the rear-screen LCD show just the selected crop surrounded by black, typically using the dead-space for extra info display. But some posts suggest that Sony's EVF cameras do not do this.

Sony only provides the standard 3:2 for stills and 16:9 for video.  I believe it is the same for Fuji apsc cameras..

Nikon provides a 5:4 aspect ratio in the OVF in their higher end cameras DSLRs (D810, D800, D4 etc etc).

Canon only provides different aspect ratios in "live view" in their DSLRs, which is something but sorta defeats the purpose for me..

My annoyance with Sony is that they provide different aspect ratios in their consumer RX100 series and the fixed lens RX1R2 (3:2, 16:9, 1:1 and 4:3) but do not provide it in the high end A7RII or A9.

I sold my A7RII for the Fuji GFX and this is one of the main reasons.  I LOVE the different aspect ratios it provides in the EVF (4:3, 1:1, 7:6, 5:4, 3:2, 16:9 and 65:24)

And the RAW file retains all the sensor data for post cropping.... Awesome!

elliot_n

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 05:47:40 am »

The Nikon D3, D4, D5, D700, D800, D810 all offer the 4:5 aspect ratio. To get a blacked out viewfinder (more accurately, greyed out), you need to go to the Autofocus section of the Custom Settings menu and switch off 'AF point illumination' - otherwise you just get a thin black line to indicate the crop. When using 4:5 mode, the raw file is cropped - i.e. it is not possible to return to full frame 2:3 ratio. I use my D800 in 4:5 mode nearly all of the time.

wallpaperviking

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 09:47:13 am »

Hate to link to this particular site but I was under the impression that the D700 did not offer the 5:4 mode of other higher end Nikon cameras?

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d700.htm

Would love to see this feature in lower end Nikon cameras, would love to be proven wrong as well :)

elliot_n

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 11:19:41 am »

My mistake - there's no 4:5 aspect ratio with the D700.

My main point in posting was to draw attention to the sometimes unknown method of switching off AF illumination to get a blacked out viewfinder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up