Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Monitor: BenQ SW320 / Eizo 31" 4k / LG 38" Ultrawide  (Read 4657 times)

zineevo

New Monitor: BenQ SW320 / Eizo 31" 4k / LG 38" Ultrawide
« on: July 13, 2017, 06:39:35 am »

I'm currently using a 27" EIZO EV display and thinking of getting a new one, especially a bigger one.

My first choice was the EIZO ColorEdge CG318-4K, but it's crazy expensive, but surely worth the price.
Also I'm interested in the BenQ SW320 as a cheaper alternative, as a new display is not my main priority.

A friend of my recommended me the LG 38" 38UC99-W my main monitor. I fell in love with the size, multitasking is superb and for my office work it would be perfect.

But as a photographer, display quality, color accuracy is key - now I try to find a balance and would love to hear your feedback and opinion about those three displays. Maybe some of you had a good or bad experience with one of those.

Fore more information about how I use it:
My current display is connected to a MacPro 2013 as my main workstation for photo editing, office work and so on.
I work as a portrait and advertising photographer and do a bit of motion work.

scyth

Re: New Monitor: BenQ SW320 / Eizo 31" 4k / LG 38" Ultrawide
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 08:00:22 am »

But as a photographer, display quality, color accuracy is key
for example how big panel non uniformity you accept "as a photographer" ? that shall be first obvious difference between that Eizo and Benq/LG

zineevo

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 04:01:39 am »

for example how big panel non uniformity you accept "as a photographer" ? that shall be first obvious difference between that Eizo and Benq/LG

Not much. I'm not a heavy retoucher and I don't print myself - so there's a bit of "space".
Of course it should not be less color-accurate and the panels should be equal or better than my current Eizo FlexScan EV2736W

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 01:28:27 pm »

I've heard and read very good things about the BenQ monitor, the best of which is being 99% aRGB. And a great price. I owned a BenQ monitor before I bought my NEC Multisyncs a few years ago. It had far better color and was easier to calibrate than my second monitor what was, I believe, and LG. I ditched those to get my pair of NEC I have now.

Why spend the money on an Eizo if the BenQ will work? The greatest advantage of the Eizo, which is one of the things I like about the NEC, is the built in color calibration dedicated to the monitor. But that's a relatively minor detail if you have i1 Pro or the latest Datacolor Spyder5.

zineevo

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 02:11:27 pm »

I've heard and read very good things about the BenQ monitor, the best of which is being 99% aRGB. And a great price. I owned a BenQ monitor before I bought my NEC Multisyncs a few years ago. It had far better color and was easier to calibrate than my second monitor what was, I believe, and LG. I ditched those to get my pair of NEC I have now.

Why spend the money on an Eizo if the BenQ will work? The greatest advantage of the Eizo, which is one of the things I like about the NEC, is the built in color calibration dedicated to the monitor. But that's a relatively minor detail if you have i1 Pro or the latest Datacolor Spyder5.

That's also my verdict. There are some features, where the Eizo is better - also in the warranty-business.
I will try the BenQ myself and testdrive it. I already ditched the LG for the lack of a sunshade and most-importent, only 78% of Adobe RGB.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 03:51:08 pm »

If you do go with the BenQ (especially the 32"), I'll be very interested to hear how it is. I, too, ditched the LG, as well as the older BenQ, because of lack of AdobeRGB coverage.

zineevo

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 03:57:15 pm »

If you do go with the BenQ (especially the 32"), I'll be very interested to hear how it is. I, too, ditched the LG, as well as the older BenQ, because of lack of AdobeRGB coverage.

The BenQ is currently living on my desk for a week - if you have any specific question, just ask and hopefully I can answer them :)
So far I'm impressed with the built-quality and the overall look-and-feel.
The quality of the screen is also very good and better (IMHO) than my old EIZO, the sunshade is super welcomed and has a door on top to add a calibration tool like the i1 display pro - love that.

I think for the price you can't go wrong.

JaapD

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2017, 02:19:33 pm »

HI zineevo,

Quick questions:
- Did you get the Benq directly working at 4K native resolution AND 60Hz framerate?
- Any particular setting you used?  What video card do you use?
- Mac or Win?

Thanks!
regards,
Jaap.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 06:18:17 am by JaapD »

Dinarius

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 05:40:21 pm »

Don’t feel the need to start a new thread....

So, a few months on, anyone care to share their experiences with the BenQ SW320?

I’m very impressed with what I’ve been reading (the Eizo is outside my price range) about the BenQ.

Any other 4K I should be considering?

Many thanks.

D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up