Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 184   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 3  (Read 386381 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #760 on: December 14, 2017, 02:30:26 pm »

Surprising but this is the ultimate proof!

I choose to see that as a compliment, for which I thank you; quite how my daughter might react to the idea she may have too much of me in her makeup may be something quite else!

:-)

Rob

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #761 on: December 14, 2017, 03:36:47 pm »

That's harsh: I don't believe my wife even knew Leiter! In any of the senses. I was far too careful to give her cause for vengeance - I think.

Seriously, though, I think she might have made a good job of it - my daughter - as fashion photographer; a least she'd have had a good idea what it entailed. Maybe that was the trouble! Knowing too much can prevent mistakes... what's that thing about the sins of the father being visited upon the sons?

But she made her own way, had her family, got both girls through university and into good prospects, and that's what counts at the end of it all. Not that it's the end yet, I trust!

Rob

Dear god i should hope not. Leiter would be the first to roll over...

;-(
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #762 on: December 14, 2017, 03:39:17 pm »

"Vandalism"
Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #763 on: December 14, 2017, 03:56:50 pm »

The cell phone discussion reminds me of a couple of my own shots, that I probably posted somewhere on LuLa before.

In the first, three people are actually reading books on a bench in New York.

Then five minutes later, same bench...

Hmm, would make an interesting triptych with a final picture showing an empty bench...
Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #764 on: December 14, 2017, 04:13:21 pm »

Lovely, Rob, just lovely. The colors, composition, mood..., in-focus and out-of-focus, straight on and reflected. Perhaps a literary equivalent would be... stream of consciousness? Or am I too reflective this morning?

Speaking of literary equivalent, we have an author here who wrote a book called "stream of consciousness" which is several hundred pages of his thoughts void of punctuation and allineation. Unreadable and incomprehensible of course, which makes one wonder whether it should be called "stream of unconsciousness" or subconsciousness, depending on your believesystem whereby the latter might be a better fit for that experiment or Rob's picture for that matter...
Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #765 on: December 14, 2017, 04:43:35 pm »

"Vandalism"

Which just goes to prove that plastic bags are not all bad: one over the seat (of the bike, of course - but I don't know...) would have made it safe to drive away. Two more, one over each handgrip, and total European winter comfort!

Nice sense about it; you can hear the silence snow brings.

Rob

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #766 on: December 14, 2017, 05:14:55 pm »

Which just goes to prove that plastic bags are not all bad: one over the seat (of the bike, of course - but I don't know...) would have made it safe to drive away. Two more, one over each handgrip, and total European winter comfort!

Nice sense about it; you can hear the silence snow brings.

Rob

I think neither of these bikes will go anywhere safely under normal configuration, regardless of snow or plastic bags, but I admit that even I had to look twice before I got that. It was however the reason for stopping to take a picture despite that it was still snowing. I couldn't quite figure out why the foreground bike was still there.
Regards,
~ O ~

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #767 on: December 14, 2017, 08:38:56 pm »

Barbie's head was spinning...

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #768 on: December 14, 2017, 08:40:05 pm »

Hmm, would make an interesting triptych with a final picture showing an empty bench...
I'll try to capture that bench the next time I'm in New York. Thanks for the idea.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #769 on: December 14, 2017, 08:41:38 pm »

Barbie's head was spinning...
Wow! What is she on?
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #770 on: December 15, 2017, 04:35:37 am »

I think neither of these bikes will go anywhere safely under normal configuration, regardless of snow or plastic bags, but I admit that even I had to look twice before I got that. It was however the reason for stopping to take a picture despite that it was still snowing. I couldn't quite figure out why the foreground bike was still there.

Ah! There appears to be a break in the frame just where the bottom of the V meets the drive/pedal stucture. Nothing like snow to provide perfect camouflage! Doping, obviously.

;-)

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #771 on: December 15, 2017, 04:37:16 am »

Wow! What is she on?

Spokes: it's the new thing.

Did Saul ride a bike?

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #772 on: December 15, 2017, 05:27:58 am »

Speaking of literary equivalent, we have an author here who wrote a book called "stream of consciousness" which is several hundred pages of his thoughts void of punctuation and allineation. Unreadable and incomprehensible of course, which makes one wonder whether it should be called "stream of unconsciousness" or subconsciousness, depending on your believesystem whereby the latter might be a better fit for that experiment or Rob's picture for that matter...

Which reminds me of the book on "Grammar for the time traveller" described in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy... since no-one could actually read more than a few pages, "later editions were printed with the remainder of the pages left blank, to save printing costs".

Ah yes, Chapter 15 of The Restaurant at the End of the Universe:

"The major problem is simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr. Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveler's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you, for instance, how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time-jumping forward two days in order to avoid it. The event will be descibed differently according to whether you are talking about it from the standpoint of your own natural time, from a time in the further future, or a time in the further past and is futher complicated by the possibility of conducting conversations while you are actually traveling from one time to another with the intention of becoming your own mother or father.

Most readers get as far as the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional before giving up; and in fact in later aditions of the book all pages beyond this point have been left blank to save on printing costs."

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #773 on: December 15, 2017, 05:31:55 am »

I adore the bike photo, btw, dislocated bottom-bracket or not.

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
« Reply #774 on: December 15, 2017, 08:07:31 am »

Wow! What is she on?

An overdose of a-CYCLO-vir. (Sorry – just couldn't help myself)

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #775 on: December 15, 2017, 11:51:48 am »

Think of it as coca-cola red, if it wasn't for Sony's interpretation of that color. To stay in theme and flow of coke and bikes. Coke and bikes, because Barbie must have gone high on something.
Regards,
~ O ~

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #776 on: December 15, 2017, 11:56:22 am »

Which reminds me of the book on "Grammar for the time traveller" described in The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy...

One day i'm going to buy an old jaguar for a roadtrip, vanity plates read "don't panic", cautionary words to the self or other drivers, don't know yet. But first i'll need to figure out how to move the couch out of the stairway...
Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #777 on: December 15, 2017, 02:04:01 pm »

Think of it as coca-cola red, if it wasn't for Sony's interpretation of that color. To stay in theme and flow of coke and bikes. Coke and bikes, because Barbie must have gone high on something.

Great graphics!

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #778 on: December 15, 2017, 02:56:18 pm »

The Friedlander thread reminded me of the attached iPhone pic, from a few years ago. For a month or so c. early 2000 I kept my Contax IIa hanging around my neck while driving and ended up with some pics I liked. But I stopped after photographing an accident and realizing I was likely being careless enough to cause one.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #779 on: December 15, 2017, 03:57:31 pm »

The Friedlander thread reminded me of the attached iPhone pic, from a few years ago. For a month or so c. early 2000 I kept my Contax IIa hanging around my neck while driving and ended up with some pics I liked. But I stopped after photographing an accident and realizing I was likely being careless enough to cause one.

-Dave-

It's funny how one thing leads to another; my Coke shot this a.m. must have been directly influenced by the same source, yet I always felt that my pro life was not influenced much by other people, if only because their situations were inevitably different to mine, and so were the people with whom I interconnected through work. I wonder, now, whether had I ever had the pleasure of a shoot with Shrimpton or Twiggy I'd have felt a pull to ape Bailey or Lategan? An interesting question, to me. Would it have been possible to ignore the iconic-in-their-time images we all knew so well?
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 184   Go Up