Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 184   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 3  (Read 388296 times)

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #3340 on: April 30, 2020, 11:06:05 pm »

Excuse my ignorance but what is the meaning of "without prejudice"?
Neil

francois

« Reply #3341 on: May 01, 2020, 04:54:54 am »

Excuse my ignorance but what is the meaning of "without prejudice"?
Neil

Quoting Rob C.'s brilliant initiative:

I've knocked the idea around a few times, may be worth trying to see if it sticks.

Basically, I thought it might be nice to have a spot where we can hang pix that aren't looking for 'critique', that exist just for the hell of it, and seemed to be a good idea at the time they were sketched.

I kick it off with a self portrait shot in the office by looking out of the door.
Francois

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #3342 on: May 01, 2020, 04:58:37 am »

Okay got it thanks.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3343 on: May 01, 2020, 12:10:23 pm »

It's a great idea, and I'm going to nominate Rob C for the Nobel Prize in LuLa Thread Naming!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3344 on: May 01, 2020, 03:58:06 pm »

Thank you Eric and Rob!

The scene was very nice, lots of fog around me. Unfortunately I was on my way to work so this was a very quick grab from the car.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3345 on: May 01, 2020, 03:58:41 pm »

of better times

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #3346 on: May 01, 2020, 05:47:38 pm »

Nice catch.

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #3347 on: May 01, 2020, 09:08:41 pm »

Okay got it thanks.
My Bike shot with my Chamonix 8x10

Neil

Rob C

« Reply #3348 on: May 02, 2020, 04:57:50 am »

It's a great idea, and I'm going to nominate Rob C for the Nobel Prize in LuLa Thread Naming!

That would be a fine conceit, but does it come with a cash reward, Eric? Cash has been known to move the world... titles bring but hubris, envy and the occasional execution.

That said, I did manage to get a washing done along with my breakfast, and it hangs in the sun to dry; the washing that is. Got to go start on the preparatory cleaning of the second half of a terrace shutter. The first half now varnished, it shames me into action for this second leg of purgatory. I long ago learned the art of doing one thing whilst living in a quite different moment. I followd a TED link someone placed yesterday and ended up looking at several; I am starting to worry about myself: I finish them and wonder what was new, what I missed. It's often a stand-up comedic retelling of old truths and even sometimes a disingenuous downplaying of talents. But it works for the people on the circuits, and the possibly bemused audiences frequently exhibit a dose of clap.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #3349 on: May 02, 2020, 06:43:14 am »

Peter's lonely cup of coffee reminded me of my own blues - which have been around for, well, how long, how long, has this lonesome train been gone...

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #3350 on: May 02, 2020, 06:45:53 am »

Thank you Eric and Rob!

The scene was very nice, lots of fog around me. Unfortunately I was on my way to work so this was a very quick grab from the car.

That's what St Ansel said about Hernandez.

francois

« Reply #3351 on: May 02, 2020, 09:40:37 am »

My Bike shot with my Chamonix 8x10

Neil

Super nice bikeā€¦No need of colors here!
Francois

Rob C

« Reply #3352 on: May 02, 2020, 02:43:48 pm »

Bike branding has changed a lot since my Raleigh Lenton of 1953...

I don't think anyone would have owned a bike with all that writing all over every available inch. Much has changed, not just in bikes but with people and how they are prepared to be seen by others. There was a sort of peak of consumer vulgarity in the 80s when people bought expensive track suits with logos on the chest and down one leg; from being absolutely ubiquitous, they have vanished without trace - at least in my neck of the woods. Dear God, does anyone remember those women in power suits, with all those vast shoulder pads? Ghastly!

Photographers who travelled a lot used to festoon their camera bags and straps with flight stickers and swing tickets etc. and I was no different in that respect: I probably rustled when I walked along with the thing over my shoulder; the strap certainly fluttered a lot and might have had the quack science benefit of scaring off mosquitoes. Cringewothy today. Or at least it makes me laugh at myself. I still own that box-like leather case but the swing tickets have long left the straps. It's never used; just another memory I don't want to - can't - put into the bin. Maybe it has a bearing on my technique of recent years of never having more than one camera and one lens with me when I venture out?

A contemporary thing that amuses me: I have worn Levi jeans, it seems, for ever; the last time I went to buy a pair they could only offer the very narrow-legged ones (not leggings) that look okay on some women but I think a bit doubtful on men. Funnily enough, as I'm pretty thin - and getting thinner - it's hard to tell whether they are narrow or not, so that's all right then. Maybe when I pop they can make do with a long pencil box? Save a lot of money and a bit of forest.

Which makes me wonder about coffins: I can get the fact that one serves a purpose in burials, but what about cremation? Do they burn the box too or is it recycled? That would make a lot of sense and save money for the clients (if they knew): coffin rentals might be the new way after recent events. I wouldn't mind very much.

;-)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 02:50:19 pm by Rob C »

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #3353 on: May 02, 2020, 06:13:44 pm »

My main bike was also a Raleigh Lenton. Great bike.
Eventually I moved up to a Norton (500 cc, single cylinder) motorcycle,  and eventually to a more discreet BMW R26.

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #3354 on: May 02, 2020, 08:16:04 pm »

Bike branding has changed a lot since my Raleigh Lenton of 1953...

I don't think anyone would have owned a bike with all that writing all over every available inch. Much has changed, not just in bikes but with people and how they are prepared to be seen by others. There was a sort of peak of consumer vulgarity in the 80s when people bought expensive track suits with logos on the chest and down one leg; from being absolutely ubiquitous, they have vanished without trace - at least in my neck of the woods. Dear God, does anyone remember those women in power suits, with all those vast shoulder pads? Ghastly!

Photographers who travelled a lot used to festoon their camera bags and straps with flight stickers and swing tickets etc. and I was no different in that respect: I probably rustled when I walked along with the thing over my shoulder; the strap certainly fluttered a lot and might have had the quack science benefit of scaring off mosquitoes. Cringewothy today. Or at least it makes me laugh at myself. I still own that box-like leather case but the swing tickets have long left the straps. It's never used; just another memory I don't want to - can't - put into the bin. Maybe it has a bearing on my technique of recent years of never having more than one camera and one lens with me when I venture out?

A contemporary thing that amuses me: I have worn Levi jeans, it seems, for ever; the last time I went to buy a pair they could only offer the very narrow-legged ones (not leggings) that look okay on some women but I think a bit doubtful on men. Funnily enough, as I'm pretty thin - and getting thinner - it's hard to tell whether they are narrow or not, so that's all right then. Maybe when I pop they can make do with a long pencil box? Save a lot of money and a bit of forest.

Which makes me wonder about coffins: I can get the fact that one serves a purpose in burials, but what about cremation? Do they burn the box too or is it recycled? That would make a lot of sense and save money for the clients (if they knew): coffin rentals might be the new way after recent events. I wouldn't mind very much.

;-)
I'm glad to see that my picture of my bike brought back so so many memories............Neil

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3355 on: May 03, 2020, 12:16:26 am »

Nice catch.

Thank you Eric! Quick cellphone snap.

That's what St Ansel said about Hernandez.
Funny! I regretted not leaving a little earlier that morning so I can have a little more time to get some proper (sharper) shots. I ran this through a sharpening program, but while it did well on the foreground and middle ground, it made a mess of the branches. So I combined the two shots.
I see many nice scenes but rarely have the determination to pull the car for the shot and I am sorry later. For example last week I saw a flock of turkeys, with a nice background, with the male in full display in the middle; a little far but within the reach of the telephoto that I had with me, alas I didn't stop.

Rob C

« Reply #3356 on: May 03, 2020, 04:33:35 am »

My main bike was also a Raleigh Lenton. Great bike.
Eventually I moved up to a Norton (500 cc, single cylinder) motorcycle,  and eventually to a more discreet BMW R26.

I had no idea you could buy British bikes in America; I thought you made so many of your own, especially with that strange backwards pedalling to brake. I wanted a motorbike when I was a teen, but Ann's Dad told me that no way was his daughter going on the back of any motorbike, so that one fell to Earth with a bump. Funny thing is, many years later, here in Mallorca, I bought our son a scrambles bike and she rode that one - once. It was most unreliable, and the poor kid once pushed it all the way back home to Puerto Pollensa from Formentor, which meant climbing up a long, narrow winding road from the beach, up the mountain and then down the other side again, all with tour buses clearing the way. Turned out to be a broken throttle cable which his mother replaced for him once we found a new one! Which was the same thing as happened when our daughter was at university and had gone in her mother's car - a Hillman Imp. I ended up driving out to find out what had happened to it and then to fix it. Kids! Or should that read Imps and Derbis?

Imps were nippy but also unreliable. My first one left me stranded out in the drizzle and wilds of northern England one day when the transaxle broke, and on another Imp my wife was left holding the gear stick as it came right out of the floor as she left home one morning. These were all first-owner cars. You may wonder: why buy more than one? Answer: at the price, what else was there any better? Certainly not the original Minis! I hated them. A positive for the Imp was that the opening rear window meant I could transport a 9" roll of background paper which I could not do in the Humber, the X1/9 nor the Alfa that followed that!

armand

• Photos
« Reply #3357 on: May 03, 2020, 02:14:12 pm »

a matter of zoom

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #3358 on: May 04, 2020, 04:59:46 pm »

A grim looking selfie...

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #3359 on: May 04, 2020, 05:32:00 pm »

A grim looking selfie...

You survived that lightning strike?

;-)
Pages: 1 ... 166 167 [168] 169 170 ... 184   Go Up