Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 184   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 3  (Read 385984 times)

muntanela

• BRATA
Re: Without Prejudice 3
« Reply #180 on: August 17, 2017, 03:44:41 am »

Crocus vernus (L.) Hill subsp. albiflorus (Kit.) Ces. (Sperella Valley, Western Grosina Valley, April)

Ranunculus kuepferi Greuter & Burdet (Pian del lago, Western Grosina Valley, June).

Zygaena (Zygaena) transalpina (Esper, 1780) (Pian del lago, Western Grosina Valley, July)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2017, 11:50:21 am »

That's an awesome butterfly

armand

• Photos
« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2017, 04:16:06 pm »

mosquitoes

Rob C

« Reply #183 on: August 17, 2017, 05:22:15 pm »

;D  I thought someone might catch that!

Yep, some of 'em anyway. Fender has had a factory in Ensenada for some years now. Back in the day Leo Fender insisted on hiring Latinas to wind guitar pickups and wire up guitars & amps. He found they tended to have the right combination of skill and patience necessary to do the job to his demanding standards. In Fender collectors' circles these ladies are well regarded and folks know some of their names. My old Telecaster was wired by Gloria Fuentes, and the pickups in some other Fenders I own or once owned were wound by Abigail Ybarra. (I met Abby ~10 years ago at a guitar show. She's still living.) Both often signed their work.

-Dave-

Dave,

One of the points made by a Mexican official was that, simply, in the US of A they can't legally use certain sprays to varnish, but in Mexico they can. US pickups are hand-made (he said) but Mexican ones bulk produced; both work just as well.

Chinese Nikkors?

Rob

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #184 on: August 17, 2017, 07:37:07 pm »

That's an awesome butterfly

It was motionless, even with the frontal lens at less than 7 cm, maybe it was paralyzed by the low temperature.

graeme

« Reply #185 on: August 17, 2017, 08:11:57 pm »

;D  I thought someone might catch that!

Yep, some of 'em anyway. Fender has had a factory in Ensenada for some years now. Back in the day Leo Fender insisted on hiring Latinas to wind guitar pickups and wire up guitars & amps. He found they tended to have the right combination of skill and patience necessary to do the job to his demanding standards. In Fender collectors' circles these ladies are well regarded and folks know some of their names. My old Telecaster was wired by Gloria Fuentes, and the pickups in some other Fenders I own or once owned were wound by Abigail Ybarra. (I met Abby ~10 years ago at a guitar show. She's still living.) Both often signed their work.

-Dave-

When I realised I was a bloody awful guitarist I bought a Vox Continental Organ.

There was a humungous amount of wiring inside which had labels attached to it with the names of the girls who had assembled the thing.

It sounded fantastic.

Unfortunately I'm a bloody awful keyboard player.

( Sorry Rob, this is drifting - I'll post a photo soon ).

Telecaster

« Reply #186 on: August 18, 2017, 12:15:21 am »

One of the points made by a Mexican official was that, simply, in the US of A they can't legally use certain sprays to varnish, but in Mexico they can. US pickups are hand-made (he said) but Mexican ones bulk produced; both work just as well.

Chinese Nikkors?

Yep, in Mexico there are fewer restrictions on how you can use nitrocellulose lacquer. It's toxic stuff, though modern formulations are less so than those of the mid 20th century. Ironically most Mexican-made Fenders have polyurethane finishes anyway (as have most US-made Fenders since the 1970s). In the guitar world Nitro vs. Poly is one of those hot-button fanboy topics that causes people to discombobulate.  ::)  My own experience tells me it isn't important.

The thing about hand-made pickups is mostly marketing BS: only Fender's custom shop (the real high-end guitars) has individual winders hand-guiding pickup wire into a machine, and even then the machine is doing most of the work. Even Abby Ybarra used a winding machine back in the '60s. The art is in the guiding technique: controlling wire tension around the pickup's coil (or dual coils with hum-canceling designs). As a fellow guitarist I know says, pickups are magic and making them is wizardry.

Doesn't Nikon have a plant in Vietnam too?

I should photograph an Abby pickup!

-Dave-
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:23:31 am by Telecaster »

Rob C

« Reply #187 on: August 18, 2017, 03:09:30 pm »

Yep, in Mexico there are fewer restrictions on how you can use nitrocellulose lacquer. It's toxic stuff, though modern formulations are less so than those of the mid 20th century. Ironically most Mexican-made Fenders have polyurethane finishes anyway (as have most US-made Fenders since the 1970s). In the guitar world Nitro vs. Poly is one of those hot-button fanboy topics that causes people to discombobulate.  ::)  My own experience tells me it isn't important.

The thing about hand-made pickups is mostly marketing BS: only Fender's custom shop (the real high-end guitars) has individual winders hand-guiding pickup wire into a machine, and even then the machine is doing most of the work. Even Abby Ybarra used a winding machine back in the '60s. The art is in the guiding technique: controlling wire tension around the pickup's coil (or dual coils with hum-canceling designs). As a fellow guitarist I know says, pickups are magic and making them is wizardry.

Doesn't Nikon have a plant in Vietnam too?

I should photograph an Abby pickup!

-Dave-

I should have gone straight back in and refused to come out again until they gave me some musical talent. I would rather be an accomplished musician than a photographer. Music can easily bring me goosebumps and piccys almost never. Of course, one has to be partial to goosebumps.

Graeme, enjoy the drifting whilst the current lasts. It's what retirement (or close-cousin unemployment) is all about. The more you practise now the better to enjoy the real thing.

;-(

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2017, 12:52:57 am »

I'm into the Wing It approach to life in general. Or you could call it the Be Like Water approach if you have a fondness for Taoist philosophy. Among other things it probably accounts for both my early retirement and off-topic tendencies.  :D

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2017, 04:52:27 am »

I'm into the Wing It approach to life in general. Or you could call it the Be Like Water approach if you have a fondness for Taoist philosophy. Among other things it probably accounts for both my early retirement and off-topic tendencies.  :D

-Dave-

I didn't know you'd hung up the daily handcuffs (as in work, I hasten to add - or did that correction just make it sound worse?) but yes, I do think that allowing the tide to do the pulling makes sense. After all, it will always be stronger than us, and I have come to accept the general truth behind that saying that by thirty-five or forty we are all the person we shall ever be. That accomplished, I realised the rest of it wasn't going to get a whole lot better, so I gave up beating my brain and soul out, and by forty-four took my happy wife and myself out of the local treadmill and into another country where the Sun actually shone. (But that brought me another set of problems now manifest.)

I'm sure we didn't enter into the wheels of another such mill, but life certainly did change dramatically. Most of that was positive but not all. Eventually I did come to miss the actual photographic part of the photographic life, but the time we had together was our own at last and no longer dependent upon the whims of some Friday evening agency call telling me how they just had to have the prints on their desk first thing Monday. So long weekend. I actually do remember one such incident when I gave prints as requested on the Monday, was back in the guy's studio on Wednesday, and my unopened packet of prints still lay on the desk... True love grows from such events.

;-)

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2017, 04:09:38 pm »

Rob, you beat me into "post-work" life by a year.  :)  I stopped as soon as I could afford to, and have been busy ever since with a combination of what I choose to do and what chooses me. The most meaningful thing has been taking care of my dad during the last year (2010) of his life, but there have been plenty of other rich experiences too. It's nice to wake up in the morning with "What cool new thing(s) can I see/do/learn today?!" in my head.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2017, 05:06:32 pm »

Hi Dave,

I couldn't really afford it, though I thought maybe I could, but we did keep on with a few calendars over the years, but obviously, all the local and short jobs ended pretty damned quickly with the decisive, one-way air tickets! So a staggered commercial diet of caviar (and some stock) for a few more years... but Ann's cooking was even better! And she loved the life here and one of her best days was Sunday when she'd drag me out of bed at 7.30 so we could get to the market and park. Any later and it meant a walk carrying a week's supply of veggies etc. far too far. Then we bought a wheelie thing, and now it gets a very rare outing for carrying the Gitzo. No contest.

Wouldn't have missed it for the world. I hope she'll be waiting for me in the next (with a smile!).

;-)

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #192 on: August 19, 2017, 08:20:24 pm »

Wouldn't have missed it for the world. I hope she'll be waiting for me in the next (with a smile!).

;-)

Hope so too.  :D

To bring it back around here's an alternate take of Mrs. Cardinal.

-Dave-

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #193 on: August 20, 2017, 05:00:35 am »

Can I just say that my Japanese-made Yamaha SG700s plays like a dream? I'll post piccies :-)

graeme

« Reply #194 on: August 20, 2017, 05:50:07 am »

Can I just say that my Japanese-made Yamaha SG700s plays like a dream? I'll post piccies :-)

That looks similar to this:

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Yamaha_SG2000

We had one in the shop for a while, it was a superb guitar. Weighed a f****g ton.

graeme

« Reply #195 on: August 20, 2017, 06:02:19 am »

This was my first electric guitar:

https://reverb.com/item/11625-vintage-epiphone-et-270-early-1970-s-kurt-cobain-style-japan

Got it in 1979 & sold it in 1983 or 4 to a very cool looking African guy who was crew from a ship docked on the Tyne. I'm sure he did the guitar more justice than I ever could.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #196 on: August 20, 2017, 06:59:46 am »

That looks similar to this:

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Yamaha_SG2000

We had one in the shop for a while, it was a superb guitar. Weighed a f****g ton.

The article is wrong though - Santana originally played a Yamaha SG95 (see Moonflower), and Yamaha made changes based on his feedback, changes that went into the later SG models, including the 2000. And yes, it's quite heavy, but then like the Les Paul, it's a solid mahogany body. Mine looks pretty much like the one in the article, but less bling; many of the differences were down to things like whether or not it had gold-covered bits & pieces.

A nice thing about my SG700s is that the tone controls can be pressed in/out to switch between single coil or humbuckers, which opens up a wider range of tones. I can get pretty much everything from Telecaster through to Les Paul, which is nice.

Telecaster

« Reply #197 on: August 20, 2017, 03:35:05 pm »

Well, since we're still on guitars…   :)  I have an Ibanez AR-300, their late '70s–early '80s take on a double-cut Les Paul type. Similar in appearance to Yamaha's SG series. I previously owned an AR-105, much the same guitar but not as fancy. The 300 has a coil splitter as well as a parallel option in humbucking mode. Made in 1982, which seems to have been a primo year for Japanese electrics in general. Fantastic Maxon-designed "Super 58" pickups. Weighs a bit over 9 lbs, the heaviest guitar I currently own. (The 105 was 10+ lbs., which is mainly why I eventually sold it.) Overall I prefer light guitars but this one is a gem. I've attached a mediocre iPhone pic.

-Dave-

graeme

« Reply #198 on: August 20, 2017, 08:25:32 pm »

I had a play on one of these once:

http://www.terrym.co.uk/1website/page17.htm

Very sexy.

I wish I'd bought it.  ::)

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #199 on: August 21, 2017, 02:42:08 am »

Still experimenting with long time exposures. Slowly progressing, still a lot of failed frames ... here's one of the better ones. I realise when exposing for several minutes and light is changing fast, it's a lot about guessing when the amount of light might be sufficient ...

This one is rather blurred due to strong wind. Vey old fashioned mood from that.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 184   Go Up