Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weekend Trips in Europe  (Read 2667 times)

pedz

• http://www.why-not-photography.com
Weekend Trips in Europe
« on: July 01, 2017, 12:22:45 pm »

Hi,

I've talked management into allowing me to spend two months working in Germany.  Home base will be somewhere close to Chemnitz.  My game plan is to work until quitting time on Friday, grab my gear and jump on a train to some destination hopefully arriving before Saturday morning.  Then I'd walk around exploring for the weekend, jump back on the train and be back in time to go to work on Monday.  I figure I can do this type of outing at most six times over the two months but it might be good to have a list of about ten places and then pick a particular place based upon the weather forecasts.

Right now, my plans are not even half baked but I have several months to figure out the details.

I like landscapes but I also like most anything -- street photography, architecture, nature, etc.

I'm looking for suggestions of where to go, what to see, etc.  One friend insists on the Alps on from the Switzerland side.  Not sure how to do that.

And, I'm interested in what mistakes to avoid.

Please let me know your thoughts,
Perry

farbschlurf

• fototypo
Re: Weekend Trips in Europe
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 04:29:07 am »

Hello!

You plan sounds exhausting to me, but you're going to have a great time, too, this way!
;-)

Consider not traveling too far but nearer to your base to maximise the time for actual photography. I just give you some names of places you could easily find and evaluate, like the "Sächsische Schweiz" near Dresden, the whole "Harz" region (special recommendation the "Teufelsmauer" nearby, and "Quedlinburg" a _very_ nice town), for cities Berlin of course. The "Baltic Sea" and "Rügen" is possible, too. Bavaria and Prague isn't too far away, too. You're also relatively near Poland, so it might be worth looking out for places there, as well ("Krakow" and even the "Tatra" mountains). Are you planning to hire a car? Of course it's possible to come around by train in Germany/ Europe, but to find and see lots of locations a car would be required. Also you will spend some time waiting for trains, as the big cities are connected with each other pretty good, but it's not as good in the countryside and even smaller cities, specially at the weekends. I don't think you would like to make pictures of railway-stations ...

I didn't visit some of the above mentioned places, myself, unfortunately, but they are somewhat regarded/ known, I think, more or less, and since you asked ...

Have a great time!
f.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 06:00:07 am »

Allow plenty of room and time for management to change her mind. If she does not, worry.

Photography is just not worth it.

;)

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 06:38:35 am »

Hello!

You plan sounds exhausting to me, but you're going to have a great time, too, this way!
;-)

Consider not traveling too far but nearer to your base to maximise the time for actual photography. I just give you some names of places you could easily find and evaluate, like the "Sächsische Schweiz" near Dresden, the whole "Harz" region (special recommendation the "Teufelsmauer" nearby, and "Quedlinburg" a _very_ nice town), for cities Berlin of course. The "Baltic Sea" and "Rügen" is possible, too. Bavaria and Prague isn't too far away, too. You're also relatively near Poland, so it might be worth looking out for places there, as well ("Krakow" and even the "Tatra" mountains). Are you planning to hire a car? Of course it's possible to come around by train in Germany/ Europe, but to find and see lots of locations a car would be required. Also you will spend some time waiting for trains, as the big cities are connected with each other pretty good, but it's not as good in the countryside and even smaller cities, specially at the weekends. I don't think you would like to make pictures of railway-stations ...

I didn't visit some of the above mentioned places, myself, unfortunately, but they are somewhat regarded/ known, I think, more or less, and since you asked ...

Have a great time!
f.

Some British photographers find them fascinating. Ernst Haas found his big break shooting in one.

One ex-politician has made a great business going from one to another with a film crew in tow... no accounting for tastes. From the latter, the lesson learned is this: landscapes (and trains) look far better from the air - on a bright day.

Rob C

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 11:53:42 am »

It depends a lot on what your interests are: nature, cities, history, people... you will be located in the heart of Europe, surrounded by lots of interesting places and locations.

I would seriously consider trying to travel by airplane (pretty cheap flights these days), to save a lot of time.

pedz

• http://www.why-not-photography.com
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 11:56:50 am »

"hire a car" -- I guess you mean what we call "rent a car".  I'm open to renting a car or maybe jump on a tour bus.  The locations you give are close by so driving to them would seem viable.

My original pipe dream would be to just move to somewhere in Europe for a few years and then travel around, etc.  Going for two months is still a nice amount of time but I predict it will go by very quickly.

Thank you all for your insights

KMRennie

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 04:50:56 pm »

Enjoy it. Germany is a terrific place. Use DB the German Rail Company to explore possible places to visit.
https://www.bahn.com/i/view/index.shtml
I agree with Rob C about Sächsische Schweiz  and the Tatra Mountains either in Poland easier to get to or Slovakia. My favourite place in Germany is Berchtesgaden which is an overnight trip away and once there is a great place to explore by public/ tourist transport . I would also consider the Salzgammergut in Austria for more mountain scenery, this would require a hire car once there by train but the scenery is stunning. You are also an overnight journey away from Copenhagen which although not a landscape location is a terrific place to visit. I have not visited the Baltic Coast but it is on my must visit list. Germany has plenty of tourist web sites so find what interests you. The people are friendly and mostly speak English, the beer is terrific and the scenery is great throughout the land. Good luck. Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up