Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mounting photo up to 16x20  (Read 2411 times)

ymc226

Mounting photo up to 16x20
« on: June 28, 2017, 04:19:23 pm »

Presently, I mount my photos under 8 ply mat paper on Crescent board using adhesive photo corners.  The mat opening is 1 inch smaller on both the height and width of the photo so the adhesive corners are not visible and this results in losing about 1/2 inch of view of the photo on all sides. 

I'd like to change out the mat to a larger opening so the whole paper the photo (paper with a 1/2 inch border along all edges) is printed on is exposed which is another conventional way to display the picture.  How does one attach the photo to the Crescent board so it continues to lay flat from corner to corner?  Is there a way to do this in a removable way?

deanwork

Re: Mounting photo up to 16x20
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 04:53:52 pm »

Dry mounting to a piece of rag board using Fusion 4000 dry mounting tissue makes it both archival and removable with heat from the dry mount press.

quote author=ymc226 link=topic=118716.msg985250#msg985250 date=1498681163]
Presently, I mount my photos under 8 ply mat paper on Crescent board using adhesive photo corners.  The mat opening is 1 inch smaller on both the height and width of the photo so the adhesive corners are not visible and this results in losing about 1/2 inch of view of the photo on all sides. 

I'd like to change out the mat to a larger opening so the whole paper the photo (paper with a 1/2 inch border along all edges) is printed on is exposed which is another conventional way to display the picture.  How does one attach the photo to the Crescent board so it continues to lay flat from corner to corner?  Is there a way to do this in a removable way?
[/quote]

ymc226

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 06:42:41 pm »

I thought of dry mounting.  I have a Seal 210M Press that I used to flatten prints from my film days but it would be too small to get a large backing board into.  Does anyone iron the print onto the board using a regular iron using the dry mounting tissue?

I would want to mount color prints printed on matte paper (Epson Hot Press Bright) printed on an Epson 3880.  Would these be damaged from a hot iron going over the print to adhere it to the board?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 06:49:14 pm by ymc226 »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 07:06:51 pm »

I use self adhesive foam board with a 5mm each side cover on the mat.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Rand47

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 07:07:23 pm »

How about linen tape at the top of the image only?  This allows the image to "breathe" and is completely alterable/removable.  This is how I mount matted prints for competition for my customers.

E.g.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv4-Zk0Nz0k

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

BradSmith

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 08:03:07 am »

When I want to do this, I print on larger paper so that I have at least a 1 inch white boarder surrounding the image.  Then I use the same removable corner mounts you use.  By doing this, I can cut the image window in the overmat say, 1 inch larger than the image dimensions, leaving ½ inch of the image's border visible below the window mat.
Brad

pearlstreet

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 10:08:32 am »

How about linen tape at the top of the image only?  This allows the image to "breathe" and is completely alterable/removable.  This is how I mount matted prints for competition for my customers.

E.g.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv4-Zk0Nz0k

Rand

+1

I didn't look at the video but assume it is describing hinging the photo with a couple of pieces of tape.

deanwork

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 04:42:36 pm »

I have the old Seal 20x24 inch press and just finished drymounting a whole show of mine on rag board. The prints were all around 20x30. I used the seal MT 5 tissue that you can order online. Their have been tests in the past that show it just as save as fusion400, but it is mounted forever.  I did it in two sections with another 20x30 cover board. Worked great. I was able to frame these in shadowbox frames suspended from the plexi and they lay really flat for that size. I can also remove them easily after the show, store them away and reuse the frames for other 20x30 prints in the future. Wish I had a really big drymont press. We have a great local framer that will let me order my own 8 ply board and he will dry mount my 40x60 prints for $ 40.00 each. Then I put them in my own custom frames that I buy wholesale. A whole show done that way would save me at least 50% .

quote author=ymc226 link=topic=118716.msg985262#msg985262 date=1498689761]
I thought of dry mounting.  I have a Seal 210M Press that I used to flatten prints from my film days but it would be too small to get a large backing board into.  Does anyone iron the print onto the board using a regular iron using the dry mounting tissue?

I would want to mount color prints printed on matte paper (Epson Hot Press Bright) printed on an Epson 3880.  Would these be damaged from a hot iron going over the print to adhere it to the board?
[/quote]
Pages: [1]   Go Up