Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with Lightroom 6 Previews  (Read 2456 times)

ahbnyc

Problem with Lightroom 6 Previews
« on: June 24, 2017, 01:54:31 pm »

My computer irreparably crashed and I got new computer, transferred photos from old computer backup, installed my previously purchased copy of Lightroom 6 and my old catalog.  Photos all seem to be linked to right folders.  Only problem is that all the photos show up as blank in the Lightroom catalog.  When I click on "build standard previews", it seems to start doing it but then says there is some problem and Lightroom closes.  Am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

ahbnyc

Re: Problem with Lightroom 6 Previews
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 02:27:14 pm »

Actually I am now even more confused.  When I selected one of the blank thumbnails and clicked "Develop" it syas file not found.  However, it appears that the folder location is correct.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 02:43:05 pm »

State the exact error messages.

Anyway, concentrate on one photo for now. Does it have an exclamation mark on it, indicating it is missing? Right click and Show Folder in Library - does that folder have a question mark on it, and is it dimmed out?

ahbnyc

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 03:02:38 pm »

Thanks John but I think I just figured it out (or most of it).  Apparently, even though the folder list on the left side of screen in library mode indicated the correct location of all the folders, nothing is really linked until you import the folders which I just did. This all seemed to work except that photos which I had stacked in lightroom don't seem to have imported and lightroom thinks they are missing.

ahbnyc

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 03:13:09 pm »

Actually I am more confused than I thought.  Everything including the stacked photos imported. What seems to be happening is that the "missing" photos still show up (as blank and missing) in the catalog.  Is there any way to get the blanks out of the catalog?  I am afraid that if I start fresh as a new catalog and import everything all my metadata on past edits will disappear.

ahbnyc

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 03:47:28 pm »

After some more flailing around I figured out that all I had to do was go to Library- Synchronize Folder and check "remove missing photos" and problem was solved. Apologies to anyone who tried to answer my questions, but maybe this will be useful to someone else -- this is all less intuitive than it should be, or maybe I'm just stupid.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 03:50:21 pm »

You should not have imported - now your catalogue has the newly-imported files, and the missing files that you previously edited. Slow down.

Now, have you a backup of the catalogue before you imported? If so, restore it. If not, remove the imported files - in the Catalog panel, they will probably be under Previous Import. And remember, remove, not delete - make sure you read each dialog box carefully. Do not use Folder Synchromize, and do not import - neither step gets you out of trouble. Again, slow down, take a backup of the catalogue, and resolve this calmly.

Once you are back to the position before you just imported, please go back to my previous questions. Are the photos showing an exclamation mark, and do their folders have question marks? What you should be able to do is click the exclamation mark, and point LR to where the missing photo now is. If the folders have question marks, you can right click the folder and choose Update Folder Location, pointing to where the folder now is - and this may prove quicker than fixing the photos' locations.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 03:51:23 pm »

Your last message was while I was typing mine. So now you've probably lost adjustments, stacks etc. I suggest you read my last message again.

ahbnyc

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 04:06:08 pm »

Thanks again John.  For whatever reason I am pretty sure there was no exclamation mark or question mark next to the photos or folders or anything else indicating that the catalog couldn't find them (other than claiming they were missing), and the file locations actually seemed correct. and the newly imported photos were all the same as those that I had in the original category.  When imported the old adjustments did come along with the photos -- I did seem to have lost the stacks (although I have the previously stacked photos, they just aren't stacked any more) and the flags, but I think for my purposes this is good enough and I am inclined to declare victory.  I am sure you are right about how to do it properly and I may try that at some point if I feel the need and have the time and energy.  I very much appreciate the input.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 04:32:10 pm »

If the adjustments are there,you have probably been saving your work back  to the files as xmp. Stacks are not saved, flags, VCs... too. Do make sure you backup your catalogue. It contains all your work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up