Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Canon Pro 4000 Improvements...  (Read 2480 times)

gdi

New Canon Pro 4000 Improvements...
« on: June 17, 2017, 08:30:39 am »

Now the error messages are in COLOR!!

Found out my new Pro 4000 was DOA yesterday.  I  got the message on first boot up - I haven't even installed the ink or print head yet! This was my replacement to the 8300 sitting with error messages that I decided would be too risky to try chase down.

Of course my first step was to give Canon Support a call, but quickly found out that their number didn't work and I received a "all circuits are busy" message for about an hour.  I had my reseller help and they talked to their Canon sales rep and they promised to call me - but nothing but crickets.  Though, I don't think there is much they could do over the phone, since the message indicates:

"Main PCB EEPROM error or model error after rewriting firmware" 
 "Causes:
             • Access to the main PCB EEPROM fails.
             • The printer is started up after firmware for a different model has been written (refer to the Memo). Memo : This error occurs after writing firmware for a different model with using FIRMWARE UPDATE (USB) function in service mode."

I can't imagine that can be fixed without a service call.  Loading the wrong firmware to a new machine seems to indicate an incredible failure of quality control - they don't even bother to start the thing up after updating it?

Hopefully I can talk to someone from Canon Monday and they can get it fixed, but I hope this isn't a sign of things to come... 

sabin

Re: New Canon Pro 4000 Improvements...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 08:37:19 am »

Usually there is a procedure to recover from bad firmware update. You can try connection the printer by USB cable, downloading latest firmware for that model and using a firmware update recovery procedure if there is one. Read the manual what to do if update fails.

gdi

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 08:48:42 am »

Usually there is a procedure to recover from bad firmware update. You can try connection the printer by USB cable, downloading latest firmware for that model and using a firmware update recovery procedure if there is one. Read the manual what to do if update fails.

Thanks, Sabin, you are probably correct that the resources are out there somewhere.  But there is no way I am going to try to fix a brand new, bricked printer and possibly end up bearing responsibility for the screw up.  This is really just an inconvenience and I'll let Canon deal with it.  I just hope this isn't an indication of more problems to come, I was hoping to enjoy a reliable machine this time around.

howardm

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 09:35:19 am »

theres a good chance that the board/connectors somehow came slightly unseated during transport.

Let Canon deal w/ it.  Definitely.

gdi

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 04:07:12 pm »

theres a good chance that the board/connectors somehow came slightly unseated during transport.

Let Canon deal w/ it.  Definitely.

That may be a possibility, but the message seems fairly specific - which is good - so I'll see what the service rep says next week.

I may be saving my pennies for an extended warranty, now!

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 11:22:19 am »

Canon should have no problems assisting you with this.  Their number is 800-423-2366 and select the option for Large Format (pro series).  It could very well be a DOA as it can happen.  If they can't resolve the problem via phone, they will have a tech come out, diagnose it to see if it can still be fixed or replace it upfront.  Since it's under warranty, it should be covered.

Good luck!

gdi

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 12:39:35 pm »

Canon should have no problems assisting you with this.  Their number is 800-423-2366 and select the option for Large Format (pro series).  It could very well be a DOA as it can happen.  If they can't resolve the problem via phone, they will have a tech come out, diagnose it to see if it can still be fixed or replace it upfront.  Since it's under warranty, it should be covered.

Good luck!

All seems to be fine now, after a service call yesterday.  After talking with Canon, they didn't seem surprised that it had the wrong firmware,  or it seems it was  the right firmware, but corrupted in some way. I still think it should be SOP for any tech firm to turn a device on after such a change, it would save everyone a lot of trouble.  Anyway, it took a while to recover and re-flash it, largely because the techs (not Canon, but Pitney Bowes employees) were not very familiar with the printers.   But after that the install went well and everything seems OK.  I'll have an opportunity to try it out in a day or two, but I think everything is good. 

gdi

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 06:50:29 pm »

As a followup to my Pro-4000 problem...

I came home today to find a "gift" from Canon in the form of a 42" roll of Canon Pro Luster, and a roll of 44" Premium Polished Rag.  This was arranged by my reseller's Canon Marketing Rep.  I think was great of Canon to provide consideration for my inconvenience with the printer problem. 

Thanks to Canon, I look forward to trying these papers out!
Pages: [1]   Go Up