With all due respect, I guess you haven't been paying attention lately...The Digital Print came out in 2013 and in it I mention Qimage Ultimate as well as a couple of other RIPs like ImagePrint and Quad Tone RIP for B&W. So, yes, I tested all of the products I wrote about in the book.
Regarding the resize/resample, heck I wrote about that back in 2011 in this article: The Right Print Resolution
And yes, at one point in time I disagreed with resampling. Decided to test it and proved to myself that it is indeed better to upsample or resize to supply the reported resolution to the print head. And that up sampling and then applying output sharpening is optimal and that outputting 720 with Finest Detail turned on for Epson or 600 with the proper high rez output for HP/Canon. I credit that debate and Mike Chaney for leading the charge regarding resize/resample and optimal output resolution. Pardon me if I didn't just accept it without actually testing it and proving it to myself :~)
I still prefer to print from Lightroom :~)
Jeff, thanks for the update. In the Digital Print, you mention Qimage Ultimate on one page (315). Lots of pictures, few words and a note that Q is windows only and you use Mac. No mention of testing.
I had read the Right Print Resolution....When you made the big change, saw the light, came out of the closer....Whatever 🤣😀😂🙃 You do make a quick reference in the last line on Qimage.
I follow you pretty closely (no, not stalking😁) as I respect your knowledge. We have not always agreed, but that what eventual gets us closer to better understanding.
In all my readings, including above, I have and had never seen any reference to your testing and/or sharing output of QU vs LR or PS. Also, to my knowledge, this is the first time I have seen you discuss that the driving force to your change was the debate (very long, years, with a lot of down putting) and for Mike Chaney for leading the way with the workflow and software for easy optimal output.
Those who have tested have found the work flow easy and superior output for initial print or multiples of differnt sizes. Or does a good job of allowing you to sharpen for the screen and allowing resampling and output sharpening to be under the cover. So areas it misses on is knowing what resolution is needed (Q figures out and sets it for you) with different paper, profile, driver settings, etc and remembering them so they pop-up the next time you chose those components...Just easy. not to mention the great, easy to use flexible layouts and templates and borders to name afew.
These capabilities in QU are available to PS. Just prepare image up to output, but no resize or output sharpen. Create a tiff for Q to use....All resizing and smart sharpening is automatically done on the way to the printer, with no change to original file....This can then be use for as many different sizes or variation you wish.
People who are happy with what they are doing either because the are just happy or don't want to spend the time trying out....So be it...Stay happy. For those willing to explore, thing about Qimage, listen to the people who are using it and have really done testing. A little time will bring you big dividend in output and flexibility. And the Q community, including Mike is accessable and helpful to get you started and solve any misunderstandings
Ok. Good night. Thanks again for getting backJeff