Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Qimage for the Mac...  (Read 3131 times)

rdonson

Qimage for the Mac...
« on: June 14, 2017, 11:59:18 am »

In an email today from Mike Chaney announcing Qimage Ultimate 2018 he also shared this tidbit:

"Mac news: we are now actively working on a version of Qimage for the Mac.  We plan to have something available for the Mac by fall 2017.  Please stay tuned for further developments."

This is the one app I missed after moving to Mac just over 6 years ago.

Regards,
Ron

Garnick

Re: Qimage for the Mac...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 12:09:03 pm »

In an email today from Mike Chaney announcing Qimage Ultimate 2018 he also shared this tidbit:

"Mac news: we are now actively working on a version of Qimage for the Mac.  We plan to have something available for the Mac by fall 2017.  Please stay tuned for further developments."

Although I've been a Mac user for many years, I have read a lot about Qimage and wished they would eventually develop a version for us as well.  I realize one can run Qimage in "Parallels" etc., but I've never relished the idea of running Windows on a Mac, too many possible complications in my opinion.  I do run and older Windows machine for accounting purposes, but it's not online, so no issues in that sense.

Yes, great news indeed.
Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 03:11:17 pm »

As a long time user myself (since before 2001), I can say this is great news for MacOS users (even though I'm a Windows 10 user myself). The user interface, which just got updated with this new 2018 version, is probably something to get used to, but it is actually very efficient. That has always been a big priority for Mike Chaney, being able to do the most needed tasks with as few keystrokes or mouse clicks as possible, and automate time-consuming operations, like nesting for an optimal paper usage, or for easily cutting multiple images out of larger sheets/rolls.

Image quality wise, it's hard to beat Qimage. It's possible if one puts a lot of time and effort in each individual image with special tools, but that could hardly be called an efficient workflow. Qimage, in my opinion, strikes an excellent balance between very high output quality and speed of production.

I'm currently experimenting a bit with its Overdrive capability that allows exceeding the printer driver's 600 or 720 PPI limit, and it adds yet another bit of resolution to images that are printed at modest sizes (so that they natively already exceed the number of pixels needed for that output size, like e.g. Stitched Panoramas). Even at 600 or 720 PPI, there may be a benefit with printing at double (overdrive) resolution, because the finest detail can be resolved easier, and sharpened better at output size.

It also explains why Qimage has now reached its 20th anniversary, it has been offering real benefits at a very modest price (and with an attractive upgrade model) since the very beginning, and it's still getting better all the time.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 04:29:14 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 04:05:52 pm »

I agree, Bart.  It's a gem of a tool for printing.  I don't recall when I first bought Qimage, probably back when I got my Epson 2200, but I used it extensively starting in 2007 when I got my HP Z3100.  It made my life so much easier with roll paper.  A ton of useful features that helped immensely. 

Now, I think it may come in handy for use with my Epson SC P800. 
Regards,
Ron

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 07:58:30 pm »

Great news!  Definitely looking forward to this.
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 10:04:10 am »

I agree, Bart.  It's a gem of a tool for printing.  I don't recall when I first bought Qimage, probably back when I got my Epson 2200, but I used it extensively starting in 2007 when I got my HP Z3100.  It made my life so much easier with roll paper.  A ton of useful features that helped immensely. 

Now, I think it may come in handy for use with my Epson SC P800.

Ron, I'm sure you'll love how the application has further matured with added functionality and GUI improvements since then. Mike Chaney never ceases to amaze me with new useful features that he includes in free upgrades during the license period, without requiring a new license.

And the optional annual extension of the license is very modestly priced at $19.99 for a full year of upgrades (one can even skip renewing for a while and resume with the most recent version without additional cost).

And because Qimage Ultimate is not picky with regards to printer model or brand (as long as the OS supports it with a driver), you can use it with any supported printer you may currently have or will have in the future.

It has an exceptional performance/price ratio, so it's really great news that MacOS users will be able to soon enjoy it without using Parallels or similar virtualisation software for the Windows OS.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 10:22:24 am »

Regards,
Ron

francois

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 06:24:55 am »

Francois

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 12:04:45 pm »

Great news!! I've been a user for many years, now I can ditch Parallels from my MAC. Image was the only thing I used it for.

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell
Pages: [1]   Go Up