Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XCD 90mm flaws  (Read 5533 times)

madlantern

XCD 90mm flaws
« on: June 14, 2017, 10:12:59 am »

I see quite a few people find their XCD 90mm disappointing, even compared to full frame zooms such as the FE 24-70 f2.8. I know not everyone's copy is disappointing. There's probably a lot of sample variation because even these people report getting much better results from a 2nd copy of the ssame lenses.

But what I want to know is: for the copies of the 90mm that are disappointing, what eactor is bad about it? Sharpness? Vignetting? CA? Others?

I already know a somewhat common complaint is the hexagonal bokeh

SrMi

Re: XCD 90mm flaws
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 10:49:11 am »

So far I have read only positive comments by owners of this lens, the unusual bokeh wide open being the only issue mentioned. I do not remember reading about complaints, nor could I Google them. Maybe it's just my mind's selective filtering ;-).

I consider Hasselblad to have fewer sample variations than other manufacturers ... hopefully that is true for XCD line as well.
This X1D review uses mostly XCD 90mm: https://fstoppers.com/medium-format/slr-medium-format-my-first-encounter-hasselblad-x1d-50c-179522

pschefz

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 11:55:48 am »

I see quite a few people find their XCD 90mm disappointing, even compared to full frame zooms such as the FE 24-70 f2.8. I know not everyone's copy is disappointing. There's probably a lot of sample variation because even these people report getting much better results from a 2nd copy of the ssame lenses.

But what I want to know is: for the copies of the 90mm that are disappointing, what eactor is bad about it? Sharpness? Vignetting? CA? Others?

i think you are referring to my experience with the 90....
i got to try the X1D with the 45 and 90 and must had been handed a bad copy that day....since these were demo items i thought it was strange that nobody else seemed to have noticed....the 90 looked pretty bad compared to the sony GM zoom and the 45 looked a lot better or at least what one would expect from a system like that....
i really wanted to walk away from that day with files that would give me what i had been missing shooting with FF dslrs and mirrorless, but i did not....the 90 looked worse, the 45 slightly better but i knew that the camera (which was at that point an early release firmware) just wasn't going to work for me.....as great as it looked and felt in my hand, i just could not see how i would be able to depend on it for people work....
i was able to try the camera and 90 combo again later, when the firmware was updated and included the moveable AF points.....that copy of the 90 was much better but the implementation of the movable AF points....not sure why they bothered....

either way, i don't think there is anything "wrong" with the 90....i am sure it easy to return and exchange if one gets a bad copy....the bokeh issue obviously won't go away, but that is a known thing at this point and seems to be a choice for the entire system....

schefz.com
artloch.com

hcubell

• http://www.howardcubell.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 02:11:43 pm »

AFAIK, the reports from everyone who actually owns the XCD 90mm lens have been uniformly very favorable. The test results from Diglloyd (and actual files) were also very favorable, and he is not someone who is in the habit of throwing around superlatives about lenses. So, what we are left with is one report from someone who took a few frames at a demo, hated the camera, and has a history as a charter member of the Hasselblad haters club. Hmmmm.
The X1D is not a perfect camera. There are perfectly justifiable reasons not to like it or want it. The 90mm lens is NOT one of them. The 90mm and the other lenses are one of the primary reasons why one would WANT to own the X1D, despite its quirks.

landscapephoto

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 04:39:42 pm »

even compared to full frame zooms such as the FE 24-70 f2.8

Please note that this zoom is extraordinarily good.

siddhaarta

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 06:24:33 pm »

I love the XCD 90mm, one of the best lenses I ever had ... and that includes five Leica S lenses. Same holds for the XCD 30mm.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 06:54:10 pm »

Everything I have seen and read about the 90mm points to an outstanding lens.

The only "issue" IMHO is with the way specular highlights are rendered in oof areas, which results from the leaf shutter design. In most cases this can be addressed with a layer of lens blur in PS.

Cheers,
Bernard

hubell

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 10:57:49 pm »

Please note that this zoom is extraordinarily good.

The Sony 24-70 zoom may be perfectly fine in comparison to other 24-70 zooms, but I compared the files from the Sony zoom and the 90mm lens at DIGLLOYD. When you look at the performance of the zoom in the corners and edges and compare it to the performance of the Hasselblad 90mm lens, its's a joke. A really bad joke.

jduncan

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 08:33:37 am »

Hi,

I notice that you are a new member and since the release of the X1D we have like a flood of new people talking bad about the camera. I will take your comment at face value, never the less.

Most people believe that the lens is excellent but it has a flawed bokeh wide open.  Here is a test by a Phase one user and he finds the lens competitive or even better than the Schneider-Kreuznach 110 f/2.8 he is using (and that is a good lens).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD3An09hmjU&t=10s
Best regards,
english is not my first language, an I k

HBIEVP

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 02:29:49 am »

Everything I have seen and read about the 90mm points to an outstanding lens.

The only "issue" IMHO is with the way specular highlights are rendered in oof areas, which results from the leaf shutter design. In most cases this can be addressed with a layer of lens blur in PS.

Cheers,
Bernard

This is because the aperture is stopped down a few pulses to get to an exact f/3.2. This will be addressed in an upcoming firmware (updatable by the photographer) that will make sure the aperture is round at full aperture. Once FW addressing this is available, I'll personally post like here.

Sincerely, Eric P.

Rdmax

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 02:55:01 am »

I love the XCD 90mm, one of the best lenses I ever had ... and that includes five Leica S lenses. Same holds for the XCD 30mm.

Is there even a 90mm for the Leica S? :P

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 10:26:50 am »

This is because the aperture is stopped down a few pulses to get to an exact f/3.2. This will be addressed in an upcoming firmware (updatable by the photographer) that will make sure the aperture is round at full aperture. Once FW addressing this is available, I'll personally post like here.

Makes sense. On the HC 100mmf2.2 the issue does indeed not occur at f2.2. But then you have other imprefections that show up compared to top portrait lenses such as the Nikon 105mm f1.4.

Cheers,
Bernard

Joseph Colson

• Joe Colson Photography
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 06:26:22 pm »

Sincerely, Eric P.

Thanks Eric.

Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up