Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Life with the riser crew...  (Read 3528 times)

Peter McLennan

Life with the riser crew...
« on: August 20, 2006, 10:49:10 pm »

Excellent article.  Fashion photography is a foreign world to those of us who dawdle in the landscape, patiently waiting for the light.

Well-written, informative, funny, informative.  What more could you ask?  

Thanks for sharing, Douglas

P

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 03:15:16 am »

I would like to second that. Really nice to read about photography instead of equipment. Examples support his text well. He tells us how he does it differently, or what results and effects might happen and backs it up with relevant examples. Great reading.

It did make me wonder though, would it help to skip the shower for a couple of days prior to the shoot and use the armpitstrategy so to speak?
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Ray

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 04:22:00 am »

I once had the occasion to visit a fashion show whilst shopping in a department store in Bangkok recently. I just stumbled across it about half way through the session. There was no chance at all of getting a good vantage point for taking photographs. The best I could do was elbow my way through the crowds to some position where I could get a reasonable shot with my 5D/24-105 from the side of the cat walk, as the models walked by.

On reviewing the shots, most of which I junked, I felt it was the audience that was just as important as the models, in the ones that interested me, which I'm now going to share with you of course.

The first one shows the slightly out-of-focus audience looking rather unhappy, with downturned expressions, possibly resulting from envy and hostility, except one lady at the back on the left who looks quite cheerful, probably because she either designed the dress or works for the company that designed the dress.

The second shot, I misfocussed on the model but caught the front row of the audience. Sheer incompetence, I know   ), but this was an interesting shot nevertheless as you can see from the close-up in image 3. Ho! ho!, the daggers are out here. I think her boyfriend must have whispered some salacious gossip in her ear   .

The 4th image is just nice.

It might be interesting to owners of the 5D that all these shots were taken, with flash, at ISO 800. No noise reduction at all was applied. Luminous smoothing in ACR was at zero.

(1) [attachment=907:attachment]    (2) [attachment=909:attachment]   (3) [attachment=910:attachment]

(4) [attachment=908:attachment]
Pages: [1]   Go Up