Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf .mos files do not open in camera raw. HELP  (Read 14916 times)

heinrichvoelkel

Leaf .mos files do not open in camera raw. HELP
« on: August 19, 2006, 08:45:16 am »

I finished a job with a rented leaf back, but now the files won't open in Adobe CS2s Raw developer. I use version 3.4. and everything is properly installed.

Any suggestions????? Please help.

Regrds Heinrich

yaya

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 09:15:49 am »

I finished a job with a rented leaf back, but now the files won't open in Adobe CS2s Raw developer. I use version 3.4. and everything is properly installed.

Regrds Heinrich
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you on PPC or Intel machine? Were these files shot in compressed mode?

If they were shot compressed and you are on PPC, try the Leaf RAW converter that'll re save them as standard raw files:

[a href=\"http://www.leaf-photography.com/pages/products/LeafRawConverter.aspx]http://www.leaf-photography.com/pages/prod...wConverter.aspx[/url]

Yair

Eric Zepeda

• http://www.ericzepeda.com
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 11:34:03 am »

I assume you prefer to process in ACR. As an option you could process to TIF's in Leaf Capture/BatchProcessor. I have a .mos file on my desktop that I viewed in Bridge and when I double-clicked opened up in ACR 2.4 without any problems.

Best of Luck,

Eric
Eric Zepeda
 www.ericzepeda.com

James Russell

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 11:40:19 am »

Regrds Heinrich
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73832\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

One way to check this is to download Adobe's free DNG convertor and if the files convert in that then they are shot uncompressed, it not they are probably compressed.

If they are shoot at 200 iso or below you can put them in Leaf V-8 and save them as .mos files which will uncompress them, or as Yair suggests use the Leaf compressor which will save them as full .mos files.

Another processing option is Raw Developer which I believe now reads full and compressed .mos files.

BTW:  Lightoom will read and process a full .mos file also and makes a beautiful, albiet very slow, conversion.

JR
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 11:41:15 am by James Russell »

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 02:39:15 pm »

If you are uncertain as to whether or not you shot these images in compressed mode,  the size of the files can quickly let you figure out if they are compressed or not.  With the Aptus 65, the file sizes will be much less than 58 megabytes in the compressed mode.  The uncompressed  .mos files are 58 megabytes.  I cannot open the compressed files in CS2 but can do so with RAW Developer.  I am a big fan of RAW Developer for Leaf Files.  It is the best RAW converter I have used to date.  Mark

One way to check this is to download Adobe's free DNG convertor and if the files convert in that then they are shot uncompressed, it not they are probably compressed.

If they are shoot at 200 iso or below you can put them in Leaf V-8 and save them as .mos files which will uncompress them, or as Yair suggests use the Leaf compressor which will save them as full .mos files.

Another processing option is Raw Developer which I believe now reads full and compressed .mos files.

BTW:  Lightoom will read and process a full .mos file also and makes a beautiful, albiet very slow, conversion.

JR
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73844\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: August 19, 2006, 02:45:44 pm by MarkKay »

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 06:35:54 pm »

Hello Guys, I went the Leaf way. Still do not understand why CS2 does not support the file. The info on the web page clearly states, Aptus 22 .mos files are supported.

Thank you all for your help.

Regrds Heinrich

pixjohn

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 07:06:34 pm »

What computer did you shoot with? If you shot to a intel mac, adobe C2 does not like the mos files. If you shot to a G5 or G4 I have no clue.

mtomalty

• http://www.marktomalty.com
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 10:37:37 pm »

Hello Guys, I went the Leaf way. Still do not understand why CS2 does not support the file. The info on the web page clearly states, Aptus 22 .mos files are supported.

CS2 does support  .mos files as many have already stated.
The point others have made is that on the back there is an item in the menu where the user
can choose to shoot either compressed .mos files or uncompressed .mos files.

CS2 cannot open the compressed .mos and unless you have some other unique problem this is
almost certainly the reason your files won't open in CS2

Mark

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 12:19:18 am »

Heinrich,

It would help if you answer some of the questions posted on your thread.  Yaya is a regional manager for leaf.  Pixjohn is a Leaf owner.  They could both be very helpful to you.  There are issues with the intel processors, MOS files, Leaf Capture 10, ACR, and file compression.  As there is more than one way to run into a problem, we will need to know the combination of software, hardware, and file types you are using to be of help. Let us know these things:

1 - Un-tethered?  If so then compressed?, or Un-compressed?
4 - Leaf Capture 8 or LC 10
6 - Intel or PPC processor

Thanks,

Eric

P.S.  I have never waited more than 30 seconds to talk to someone at leaf when calling customer service.  They have always been able to answer my questions.  So although public forums have been invaluable to me, with Leaf products I find it better to start at the source by calling them direct.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 12:26:55 am by ericstaud »

pixjohn

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 01:25:48 am »

I can say from my own experence Leaf mos files shot on my Macbook Pro do not open in CS2. If I shoot to my G5 I have no problem opening the files. That is why I asked if he shot to a intel Mac.

yaya

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 04:39:17 am »

I can say from my own experence Leaf mos files shot on my Macbook Pro do not open in CS2. If I shoot to my G5 I have no problem opening the files. That is why I asked if he shot to a intel Mac.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=73904\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

John if you shoot with V8 on your Intel the files WILL open in CS2

Yair

James Russell

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 01:01:34 pm »

John if you shoot with V8 on your Intel the files WILL open in CS2

Yair
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually if you shoot any large volume of files just shoot to V-8.

If you shoot compressed in portable mode, just test it with your system.

I know my workflow and equipment inside out and I NEVER take anyting for granted.

Regardless of  the software, tethered, untethered, I always process a few files along the way in PSCS.

I've said this before, but if I pay retail to Phase, Leaf, Canon, Apple, anybody I'm not a beta tester.

I'm a photographer and my projects are large in production and there are no redos in my world, so everything must be rock solid.

The Aptus 22 is solid.  My powerbooks are solid and V-8 is solid.

LC10 is a work in progress, even on fast Quad 5's and until they get it as stable and functinal as what I am using now I don't see the point.

Obvously Leaf is on the LC10 road and is not going to back up to V-8, which in my opinion is a shame because the three part system of software may look cumbersome at first but is treamlined, fast and non bloated.

The problem with C-1, Aperture and Lightroom is they are slow and bloated and try to do too much.

For Capturing, all I want to do is capture.  Same with editing and processing.

I can start and restart V-8 faster than I can change a setting on LC10.

I can rough edit the .mos files in I-view faster than I can load the previews in LC10, or C-1, Lightroom etc.

I can batch process faster in pscs(1) to full rez tiffs and jpegs at 17 seconds a file even on a lowly powerbook G4.

At some point this stuff can become overburdeining.

Imagine in the film days if every 4 months we had to change labs, and film and learn a new way to capture on set.

We would have gone crazy, but digital capture is just that.  Every few months an update, a new compression scheme, new computers, new whatever and I don't know about most of the people here but I get paid to shoot, not to test.

it's bloody ridiculous that if  you buy a new intel book you can't tether your new back without a powered firewire bus.    It's even more ridiculous that even using a new intel book and a A-65/75 or P-45, p30 you still can't shoot as fast or as stable as I can with Leaf V-8 and a powerbook G4.

Leaf is not going to tell you that V-8 is more stable and faster than LC10.  Phase isn't going to press release the fact that if you use an intel book you need to upgrade your p25 to a p-45 and run a battery when tetherred.  Have your ever seen anyone from Hasselblad come on a forum and say, sorry guys but the H-1/2 is probably going to crap out every 4 hours if you hold the lens in the wrong position?

No, all these companies leave it up to us to find the issues way after we have paid our money.

I learned about this early adopter stuff with the 1ds2(s) and started dropping files like crazy.  The only response from Canon was, "I didn't know that", even though the forums were full of thousands of posts about people losing files.

In a way it's a shame that these companies don't get in front of problems faster and come to the realization that their installed cusotmer base is pretty savvy.  

It makes me shake my head when you go to a seminar or a showing and some sponsored photographer stands up and says, "LC 10 is so wonderful, just click, click, click and your done", of course said sponsored photographer has never shot more than 4 gigs a day and we all know that if you put 400 files in that software it's gonna choke, stall then explode.

I'll bet ya 10 bucks that if you go to th eLeaf stand at Photokina some ding dong will be standing there, microphoone in hand saying those exact words and some unfortuante, hard working phtographer will plunk down $30 grand for a back, 6 grand for a computer and two weeks later start e-maling wondering why he can't connect through firewire.

I'm not picking on Leaf, I just know the product and the software.

In fact, I'm partial to Leaf because their camera shoots a beautiful file and I can process it in multiple ways.   It's like having about 8 films and labs at my disposal, but for the life of me I'll never understand how they can be so bull headed about LC10 when it not only came to market 2 years late, but also is still a work in progress.

The word on the street is Leaf makes a better back, Phase better software.  

The silly thing is if you use V-8  (and really learn it), this is not true.

Personally it matters nothing to me what anyone uses, but I am positive what I use works and every week just chuckle to myself when a client or a crew member says, "wow that was great, everytime we work with a photographer that shoots to the computer, the software crashes or we are always waiting for the camera to be ready".

What works for me is V-8, rock stable, fast and simple.

I-view for quick editing and renaming/sorting .mos files.  Not a very big preview but very fast and very quick to move, sort and copy.

PSCS for batch processing.  I give Russell Brown a big gold star for his batch processing scripts.
They're free, fast and his tutorials take about 10 minutes to learn.  Every manufacturer could take a big lesson from Adobe about how to train people on thier products.

Back to I-view for web galleries and my post production day is done.  Actually my 1/2 day.

All IMO

JR
[a href=\"http://www.russellrutherfordgroup.com/bethany/]http://www.russellrutherfordgroup.com/bethany/[/url]

deelight

• http://
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 01:31:00 pm »

Wow, James - RESPECT!

Your right and I agree with you! I also am Leaf A22 user, also happy with the files but aswell shaking my head about the bugs you mentioned like the powered FiWi-Bus and others.

Just... I like the workflow (not the speed ;-) of LC10 more, but this might be personal.

Best regards!

Clem

BTW - nice to meet you here on LL´s forum...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 01:33:54 pm by deelight »

pixjohn

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 02:57:36 am »

I do agree with you James about leaning the most stable work flow. I do use V8 and V10. Some function work well in V8 and some items work faster in V10. I like the lupe function in V10 to check details and focus. It works much faster then zooming on V8.

Have you tried V10 at all? The current version seems pretty stable to me. No crashes or hang-ups.  I just want everything working in V10. I use the gain function in v8 and that takes 8 shots to make 1 file, where the Gain Adjuster program only takes 1 shot. I am not sure what version will end up in 10 but if it is the 1 pop function that will be faster then V8.

As to the Macbook Pro, that is a whole other can of warms.  It really is a pain in the ass that the power in the firewire port has a problem  connecting the camera.

yaya

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 06:42:15 pm »

As to the Macbook Pro, that is a whole other can of warms.  It really is a pain in the ass that the power in the firewire port has a problem  connecting the camera.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello John, I've just had one of these delivered this afternoon: [a href=\"http://industrialcomponent.com/addlogix/firecable.html]http://industrialcomponent.com/addlogix/firecable.html[/url] and will be testing it next week on a MBP 17"

Tried it with a 40GB SmartDisk FW drive plugged into a PCIMCIA FW adaptor and that worked so we might have a reasonable temporary solution here.

I'll report more as soon as I have results.

Yair

pixjohn

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2006, 09:06:13 pm »

I know all about the Universal FireWire Power Supply. The problem with the cable is, you still need to plug it in. I need something to kick start the Aptus 75. Once I connect the camera I am able to shoot with the 17in Macbook pro battery. I am looking into the battery James listed. They have a new model coming out soon. If I use the  battery pack I need to get a apple cord modified to work.

Hello John, I've just had one of these delivered this afternoon: http://industrialcomponent.com/addlogix/firecable.html and will be testing it next week on a MBP 17"

Tried it with a 40GB SmartDisk FW drive plugged into a PCIMCIA FW adaptor and that worked so we might have a reasonable temporary solution here.

I'll report more as soon as I have results.

Yair
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=74497\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bernd B.

Re: Leaf .mos files do not open in camera raw. HELP
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 03:08:19 pm »

OK, so we are in 2013 now. These days Lightroom 4 does open mos files of my Aptus 75 shot to card. No problem.

But I cannot open mos files shot tethered to capture one pro 7. I mean I can open it with C1pro7 but not with LR4.

Is there a magic trick?

Thanks,

Bernd

Bernd B.

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 08:08:10 am »

OK, shot compressed .mos to C1pro7, convert compressed .mos to uncompressed .mos with Leaf raw converter 1.2.6, the edit in LR as usual...

That´s it.

Bernd

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 09:27:54 am »

OK, shot compressed .mos to C1pro7, convert compressed .mos to uncompressed .mos with Leaf raw converter 1.2.6, the edit in LR as usual...

That´s it.

Bernd

Bernd here's a tip for you; In the Raw Converter you can tick the "Save Compressed" checkbox to save space. It basically "re-comresses" the files but in a format that is recognisable by LR

cheers

yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Bernd B.

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 10:08:44 am »

Bernd here's a tip for you; In the Raw Converter you can tick the "Save Compressed" checkbox to save space. It basically "re-comresses" the files but in a format that is recognisable by LR

cheers

yair

Thanks !  :)

Bernd
Pages: [1]   Go Up