Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eizo CG318-4K calibration  (Read 2685 times)

Zachary Goulko

Eizo CG318-4K calibration
« on: June 05, 2017, 06:32:10 pm »

My NEC 30" spectraview II started flickering so it's probably on it's way out. Just placed an order for a CG318-4k and was wondering what other owners use to calibrate it? Is the built-in calibration device accurate, or would a spectro do a better job like my i1 pro?
I know that the little colorimeter that came with my spectraview didn't give me nearly as good of a calibration as my i1 did, but I like having the convenience of using an automated built-in device.
Can any CG318 owners share their experience?
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

Doug Gray

Re: Eizo CG318-4K calibration
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 07:23:11 pm »

My NEC 30" spectraview II started flickering so it's probably on it's way out. Just placed an order for a CG318-4k and was wondering what other owners use to calibrate it? Is the built-in calibration device accurate, or would a spectro do a better job like my i1 pro?
I know that the little colorimeter that came with my spectraview didn't give me nearly as good of a calibration as my i1 did, but I like having the convenience of using an automated built-in device.
Can any CG318 owners share their experience?

I have the same unit. Use the builtin colorimeter as it will give much better shadow colors. You can use the I1 if you wish but the built in one can be set up to automatically run in the middle of the night so your monitor is always calibrated.

it comes with ColorNavigator which lets you create different profiles. You can instantly switch just by right clicking on the notification icon. I have some at D50 full gamut and D65 sRGB as well as some at various cd/^2 levels from 40 to 300.  I normally run D50 at 100 cd/m^2.

Zachary Goulko

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 08:23:17 pm »

I have the same unit. Use the builtin colorimeter

Thanks Doug
Have you compared the built in calibration results to an external unit? I don't mind spending the extra time if it will get me more accurate results.
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

daicehawk

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 07:03:34 am »

I have had some very bad experience with built-in colorimeter on Eizo CG245w. It calibrated the blues to cyan in the native software. Switched to i1 pro and voila, problem solved.

Zachary Goulko

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 08:42:28 am »

I have had some very bad experience with built-in colorimeter on Eizo CG245w. It calibrated the blues to cyan in the native software. Switched to i1 pro and voila, problem solved.

That is what I suspected. Should be receiving it today, will test both and report back.
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

Doug Gray

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 06:52:01 pm »

That is what I suspected. Should be receiving it today, will test both and report back.

The problem is defining "accurate."

I have 3 I1 spectros. An old M0 one, as somewhat newer M2 (uV cut) one, and an I1-2 Pro.

Each has a different White point that varies by .0020 to .0060 on the xy chromaticity from each other and the CG318's colorimeter.  So how do you determine which "blue" is "correct?"

And here's another confounding factor:

I have a CG301 (CFL backlight) as well. It's now mounted vertically alongside the CG318. When calibrated with the same spectro (I1-2 Pro), to the same specs, the white's on the two monitors are significantly different with the CG301 having a slight green/magenta tint in comparison to the CG318. After some investigation I determined the difference was due to very different responses between the 10 degree CIE and 2 degree CIE. Calibration is done to 2 degree specs but the whites of the monitors are better described by the 10 degree CIE specs. Investigating the reasons for the discrepancy, it turns out the 301's "blue" spectral peak is at 440nm while the 318 (LED backlight) is at 450nm.  The 2 degree curve has a much heavier weight at 440nm than the 10 degree curves. I wound up adjusting the xy WP chromaticity on the 301 so that it would yield the same values on the 10 degree curve on both the CG318 and CG301 and now the "whites" match.  The CG318 has a much closer match between the 2 degree curve and 10 degree curve and it also provides a somewhat more pleasing white.

Apart from the variability in the spectro's, there is the issue of individual variability in color response. People categorized as having normal color vision still vary a fair amount in how they see emissive colors from combining primaries. With differences of over 10 dE. So some individuals may see whites from the CG301 matching with the CG318 while others see significant differences.

Issues of color matching are not as straightforward as the CIE 1931 equations seem to suggest.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 07:13:28 pm by Doug Gray »

Zachary Goulko

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 10:00:42 am »

I've done some calibrations with both the built-in device as well as the eyeOne pro and I can't see any difference. Both calibrations match up to my test prints in a D50 booth next to the monitor.
And this monitor is hands down the best I've had to date. Really quite incredible!
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up