Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P25 & Hasselblad EL/M Moon Edition  (Read 2036 times)

Pixelking

P25 & Hasselblad EL/M Moon Edition
« on: June 03, 2017, 09:04:37 am »

I have been using an original Dicomed SCSI scanning back to do capture for fine art reproduction, using my Sinar 4x5 (HMI lighting). The Macintosh G3 barely runs these days... I was thinking about looking into a Phase One back for my Hasselblad EL/M (Moon Edition '79 Version). I have always thought I would need a different model Hasselblad to incorporate a Phase One back. Now I'm seeing P25s and V-System 500 models listed on eBay. Don't want to get a new Dicomed scanning back or a new Phase One camera because of expense. Does anyone know if I can buy a used P25 and get it to work on my EL/M?

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: P25 & Hasselblad EL/M Moon Edition
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 09:22:04 am »

I have been using an original Dicomed SCSI scanning back to do capture for fine art reproduction, using my Sinar 4x5 (HMI lighting). The Macintosh G3 barely runs these days... I was thinking about looking into a Phase One back for my Hasselblad EL/M (Moon Edition '79 Version). I have always thought I would need a different model Hasselblad to incorporate a Phase One back. Now I'm seeing P25s and V-System 500 models listed on eBay. Don't want to get a new Dicomed scanning back or a new Phase One camera because of expense. Does anyone know if I can buy a used P25 and get it to work on my EL/M?

Try and get a matched body/back pair if you can, where any needed focus adjustments have already been done - that would be my idea - maybe someone more knowlegeable would be able to advise better, in particular Erik. Hassy bodies are cheap these days.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Pixelking

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 09:58:13 am »

Where is a good place to find something like that? Are there dealers that specialize in used Phase One systems? I live close to Atlanta, GA. We have KEH and several dealers for Phase One.

Richowens

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 11:30:51 am »

Just click the ads at the top of this page.

Reputable folks that have been around for a while.

Rich

jng

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 12:07:31 pm »

The P25 should work fine on your EL/M (will need a sync cable from the lens to fire the back). Mirror alignment is known to drift over time on these old V system cameras, so I suggest having your camera serviced if you haven't had the alignment of your focusing system checked recently.

Capture Integration is in your neighborhood - they are excellent so you might give them a call and see if they have any used V mount backs you can try out.

There are several threads here on Lula and elsewhere with people's experiences using digital backs on Hassy V system bodies.

Good luck!

John

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 02:13:43 pm »

Phase One has an entire division, version of Capture One, and hardware product line dedicated to Cultural Heritage (art repro, museums, libraries and similar). In the US that is available exclusively through the Digital Transitions Division of Cultural Heritage.

I'll be frank: I think you'll be disappointed by a P25 on a Hassy 500 for art repro in a modern competitive environment. However, there are reasonable entry-level systems that you would likely be quite happy with, and we do carry a lot of refurbished and used gear. Shoot us an email or call.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 02:23:25 pm by Doug Peterson »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 02:13:20 am »

I'll be frank: I think you'll be disappointed by a P25 on a Hassy 500 for art repro in a modern competitive environment.
Absolutely agree. How much money are you going to spend on a 40 year old camera?
If you are serious about art reproduction then (for possibly less money) you can get an H3DII or better with reproduction mode built into Phocus, export a TIFF and print.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 05:41:50 am »

Absolutely agree. How much money are you going to spend on a 40 year old camera?
If you are serious about art reproduction then (for possibly less money) you can get an H3DII or better with reproduction mode built into Phocus, export a TIFF and print.

Or a Sony A7R2, or even a $1K Olympus or Pentax camera that will shift the sensor and do multishot.
I think multishot is unbeatable for repro as it removes Bayer artefacts. Now that we have true hirez miniature cameras there is no reason to go down the MF rabbithole for repro unless "money is no object".

Edmund
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:22:59 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up