Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air travel with your gear  (Read 3499 times)

David Watson

• David Watson
Air travel with your gear
« on: May 29, 2017, 02:44:03 pm »

It was announced today that the USA is considering banning laptops and by definition digital photography equipment from hand luggage on all flights.  I feel sure that this is a trend that will continue.  Pretty soon we will have to check our expensive equipment (never to see it again), wait for hours with our shoes and belt in our hands, holding up our trousers, while we are body searched for bombs and other dangerous substances.

Here in Europe, because of human rights laws, old age pensioners with impeccable histories are subjected to the same intrusive appraisal as 20 year old immigrants on their way from or to centres of ethnic or religious violence.

I am seriously questioning the viability, given the BA problems in the UK and the foregoing, whether it is worth the effort to travel to interesting photographic locations.  Am I being paranoid or what?
David Watson ARPS

David S

Re: Air travel with your gear
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 04:07:42 pm »

It was announced today that the USA is considering banning laptops and by definition digital photography equipment from hand luggage on all flights.  I feel sure that this is a trend that will continue.  Pretty soon we will have to check our expensive equipment (never to see it again), wait for hours with our shoes and belt in our hands, holding up our trousers, while we are body searched for bombs and other dangerous substances.

Here in Europe, because of human rights laws, old age pensioners with impeccable histories are subjected to the same intrusive appraisal as 20 year old immigrants on their way from or to centres of ethnic or religious violence.

I am seriously questioning the viability, given the BA problems in the UK and the foregoing, whether it is worth the effort to travel to interesting photographic locations.  Am I being paranoid or what?

Paranoid no, deeply bothered and disrupted yes.
I no longer fly but use train travel and do not go to places that would force air travel. I just do not want the bother.

Dave S

hogloff

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 04:29:05 pm »

I retired early to travel. A little anoyance won't stop me. I'll just put my camera wrapped inside my clothes and carry my lenses as usual.

bassman51

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 06:31:24 pm »

As I understand the concern of the TSA, they believe that terrorists have figured out how to pack explosives into batteries in electronic devices.  So the proposed plan is to ban devices with "large" batteries, which is generally reported in the press as any device bigger than a smartphone.  The iPhone 6s battery has 2750 mAH.  The BLH-1 battery in the E-M1.2 has 1720 mAH.  Presumably there's a strong correlation between the electrical power of a battery and it's physical size, and therefore to the amount of explosives that could be packed therein.  Given that:

1. Does anyone think that the TSA will logically allow devices which have smaller batteries than smartphones to be in the cabin?
2. Does anyone think that the TSA will allow lenses - which so far have no batteries - in the cabin?
3. Does anyone think the TSA would allow cameras with the batteries removed in the cabin?

I'm being someone snarky here, as I obviously believe that they won't act rationally bout any of this.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

hogloff

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 09:42:36 pm »

As I understand the concern of the TSA, they believe that terrorists have figured out how to pack explosives into batteries in electronic devices.  So the proposed plan is to ban devices with "large" batteries, which is generally reported in the press as any device bigger than a smartphone.  The iPhone 6s battery has 2750 mAH.  The BLH-1 battery in the E-M1.2 has 1720 mAH.  Presumably there's a strong correlation between the electrical power of a battery and it's physical size, and therefore to the amount of explosives that could be packed therein.  Given that:

1. Does anyone think that the TSA will logically allow devices which have smaller batteries than smartphones to be in the cabin?
2. Does anyone think that the TSA will allow lenses - which so far have no batteries - in the cabin?
3. Does anyone think the TSA would allow cameras with the batteries removed in the cabin?

I'm being someone snarky here, as I obviously believe that they won't act rationally bout any of this.

1. Nope...rules need to be clear without case by case ambiguity.

2. Yep...lenses are different than cameras.

3. Nope...see item 1.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 01:49:01 pm »

I've been watching these developments too. I have a trip to Tanzania planned for later this summer and I'm hoping it won't trip me up! I'll be climbing Kilimanjaro for a week andam going to need several batteries to see me through.
From what I have read if I put the spares (4-6 probably) in a battery holder with tape over the contacts (which I was going to do anyway to help keep track of fresh vs. spent) I should be able to carry them on. I'm hoping that doesn't change before I go!
-MattB

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 03:12:36 pm »

I've been watching these developments too. I have a trip to Tanzania planned for later this summer and I'm hoping it won't trip me up! I'll be climbing Kilimanjaro for a week andam going to need several batteries to see me through.
From what I have read if I put the spares (4-6 probably) in a battery holder with tape over the contacts (which I was going to do anyway to help keep track of fresh vs. spent) I should be able to carry them on. I'm hoping that doesn't change before I go!

And given the unfortunate half-wittery of so many airline employees it is not a pretty picture.

NancyP

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 05:25:32 pm »

It would seem simple, though time consuming, to vet individual large removable batteries.

I would think that the laptop and phone integral batteries also ought to be testable via USB port and via demonstration of functionality.

They cannot possibly ban laptops and phones without a huge rebellion by business travelers.

Matt Burt, yet another good reason to carry gaff tape - battery contact protection.

Shrev94412

• Phase One, Fuji GFX100, Nikon and Leica Q2 Shooter
    • Shreve Fine Art
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 09:47:57 pm »

A few years ago I kept having issues with being forced to check camera gear in the US and International. Now, I go to the airport prepared to check, ie hard sided case carry on size. In addition, I purchased Camera insurance (CHUBB Insurance) separately from my homeowners policy that will cover lost or stolen gear anywhere including checked baggage. I had learned prior that typical homeowners insurance in the USA does not cover expensive camera gear especially if checked on an airline. Get your gear insured and be prepared to check at all times. (Sometimes I put my camera backpack with gear in it in a hard sided roller bag and check). It always depends on the agent at the check in desk.

Happy Travels
Check out my work at www.shrevefineart.com

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 11:22:40 am »

As it turned out my camera and associated gear (7 batteries) never even generated a second look going to Tanzania and back. I never had to remove anything from my pack or do any explaining.
Great trip! :)
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up