Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New monitor calibration (BenQ SW2700PT)  (Read 2419 times)

alexk3954

New monitor calibration (BenQ SW2700PT)
« on: May 28, 2017, 02:01:00 am »

I just got a BenQ SW2700PT for editing photos and am getting confused by the calibration process. I am using a mid 2013 MacBook Pro and X-Ritre I1 display Pro.

Based on my understanding of the Palette Master Software, the calibration seems to be stored on the monitors own hardware (i.e. I can navigate the monitor menus and find my "Calibration 1").

However, I still seem to to be able to select a display color profile in iOS and this is where I am becoming confused.  The monitor looked different than the starting point after calibration in Palette Master.  When I looked at the display profiles menu in iOS system preferences, the factory "BenQ SW2700PT" profile is still selected, but my newly created profile shows up as an option.  When the new profile is selected, the monitor changes even more and colors are appearing way more saturated (and way more saturated than the calibrated MBP display)

I have read through the manuals, but am not really getting satisfactory answers.  Am I just supposed to select the generic BenQ SW2700PT profile in iOS initially, calibrate in Palette Master, and then not touch any of those display profile options in iOS afterwards?

I am getting tempted to abandon the Palette Master software and just use the X-Rite software.  I would really appreciate it if someone would explain what the benefit of using the BenQ software and building a profile into the monitor hardware.

Please let me know if my questions are unclear.  I am very new to color management and am becoming very confused with this new monitor.

Thanks you!

alexk3954

Re: New monitor calibration (BenQ SW2700PT)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 03:42:17 pm »

I tried playing with the monitor for a few hours last night and could not get the Palette Master software to do a proper calibration.  I decided just to create a custom color mode on the monitor and then calibrate that using the iProfiler software.  That process was painless and now the monitor looks very close to my calibrated MBP.

The Palette Master software was terrible in my experience.  Last night I would select a target luminance of 120 and after the calibration was complete, both targeted and achieved luminance were 0.  Everything looked dim, washed out, and terrible.

That was a frustrating experience, but I am glad that it now appears properly calibrated with the iProlifer software.
Pages: [1]   Go Up