Subscribe for $1/month
Login
Videos
Luminous Landscape Home
Welcome,
Guest
. Please
login
or
register
.
Did you miss your
activation email
?
October 03, 2026, 12:58:02 pm
Home
Help
Search
Login (forum only)
Login (Subscriber)
Register
Luminous Landscape Home
Luminous Landscape Forum
>
The Art of Photography
>
User Critiques
>
simple flowers
Pages: [
1
]
Go Down
Print
Author
Topic: simple flowers (Read 1394 times)
Krug
Full Member
Offline
Posts: 246
simple flowers
«
on:
May 27, 2017, 06:03:50 pm »
Your views and comments would be most welcome
Logged
John Ashbourne
www.johnashbourne.com
Osprey
Full Member
Offline
Posts: 102
Re: simple flowers
«
Reply #1 on:
May 27, 2017, 08:43:30 pm »
I think they're well done and well presented. To my eyes, they probably would work better in black and white but that's very much a matter of taste.
Logged
Krug
Full Member
Offline
Posts: 246
Re: simple flowers
«
Reply #2 on:
May 27, 2017, 09:45:00 pm »
Funny that you should say that because that was my preference too - but I am very B+W orientated and thought that I would see what people thought of the colour versions before showing the monos.
Thanks for the comment.
Logged
John Ashbourne
www.johnashbourne.com
Osprey
Full Member
Offline
Posts: 102
Re: simple flowers
«
Reply #3 on:
May 27, 2017, 09:47:18 pm »
Yes, very nice. I think an even higher contrast might work well, particularly for the bottom picture.
Logged
Eric Myrvaagnes
Sr. Member
Offline
Posts: 22813
http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: simple flowers
«
Reply #4 on:
May 28, 2017, 12:16:36 am »
For me the first one works better in color (the yellow adds a lot) but the second works best in B&W.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website:
http://myrvaagnes.com
)
graeme
Guest
Re: simple flowers
«
Reply #5 on:
May 28, 2017, 05:34:56 am »
I particularly like the second one, colour or BW.
Logged
brandtb
Sr. Member
Offline
Posts: 972
Re: simple flowers
«
Reply #6 on:
May 28, 2017, 08:09:41 am »
The color versions have a lot of potential. The subjects are really nice as well as the color/tone in the background....with color of vase - and general lighting/atmosphere.The b/w doesn't really bring anything to the table with so much "empty" space. I think the thing to consider is framing and the negative space around the subjects. If these aren't cropped look at a little more space on right side of vase in first...it is really pushed to edge. Also a little more space above the Queen Anne's Lace flower.
Logged
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com
Krug
Full Member
Offline
Posts: 246
Re: simple flowers
«
Reply #7 on:
May 28, 2017, 09:14:27 am »
Thank you gentlemen for the kind comments but especially for the critiques.
Yes Eric it was the wonderful sharp yellow that drew me - even such small touches ... though more would have been too much I think.
Thank you Brandt for the detailed comments ... for me the value of posting for comments is exactly this - to get a fresh pair of eyes on something to which one has perhaps become too close.
I wanted the Queen Anne's Lace flower to dominate from the deliberately drab background but looking again I think you may well be right that a little more 'air' would have been better.
Similarly i wanted a strong diagonal juxtaposition between the glints of sharp yellow and the 'blob' of purplely blue but again framed too close on the right perhaps in 'pushing' the 'blob' backwards.
Logged
John Ashbourne
www.johnashbourne.com
riverrat373
Newbie
Offline
Posts: 10
Re: simple flowers
«
Reply #8 on:
June 02, 2017, 03:52:15 pm »
Both are great, but I really like the 1st photo. Sometimes simple is best!
Logged
I change cameras more often than most people change their underwear!
Print
Pages: [
1
]
Go Up
Luminous Landscape Forum
>
The Art of Photography
>
User Critiques
>
simple flowers
Loading...