Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd result with Epson P800  (Read 1708 times)

Herbc

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 387
Odd result with Epson P800
« on: May 25, 2017, 09:38:09 am »

Due to house space, I moved my P800 to my darkroom building, which does not have internet-too far for my router.  Thus when I have some printing to do, I load a thumb drive with the files, and go to the P800 and print.
Being old and retired, this is an infrequent happening. Thus the printer sits for weeks with no activity.  This week, I had some nice magnolia prints to make, with green leaves and white flowers with some purple veins in the buds.
The printer produces black and white!  I did a head cleaning , nozzle check and got no problems, although the nozzle check shows VERY fine lines in the color printouts, perhaps this is common for this printer?  My 3800 printed much larger and darker nozzle checks.

Anyway, is there some issue I am missing? I am printing from LR, latest version and checked twice to see that I had selected "color" in the print orders and in the LR develop routine. 8)
Logged

rdonson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3263
Re: Odd result with Epson P800
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 09:46:57 am »

If you've got some clogging it's not unusual to run 2 or 3 cycles of head cleaning to completely be back on track.
Logged
Regards,
Ron

schertz

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 171
    • Adobe Portfolio
Re: Odd result with Epson P800
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 09:59:32 am »

Due to house space, I moved my P800 to my darkroom building, which does not have internet-too far for my router.  Thus when I have some printing to do, I load a thumb drive with the files, and go to the P800 and print.
Being old and retired, this is an infrequent happening. Thus the printer sits for weeks with no activity.  This week, I had some nice magnolia prints to make, with green leaves and white flowers with some purple veins in the buds.
The printer produces black and white!  I did a head cleaning , nozzle check and got no problems, although the nozzle check shows VERY fine lines in the color printouts, perhaps this is common for this printer?  My 3800 printed much larger and darker nozzle checks.

Anyway, is there some issue I am missing? I am printing from LR, latest version and checked twice to see that I had selected "color" in the print orders and in the LR develop routine. 8)

It might be easier to diagnose if you provide screen shots of your Print module and driver dialog settings to examine.
Logged

Mark D Segal

  • Contributor
  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12525
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Odd result with Epson P800
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 10:32:51 am »

Firstly, your observation about the fineness of the nozzle check pattern is correct, and this portrayal is normal, especially for yellow and LLK - very hrad to see without a loupe. I have discussed this issue with Epson quite a long time ago. Perhaps there is nothing they can do about it, I don't know.

I have never seen a printer make a B&W print when everything is set to colour, so you may wish to check your driver settings. Make sure, in particular that the driver is not set to Advanced Black and White mode, because that would do it for sure! You didn't mention what application you are printing from, what Print settings you have chosen in that application, and behind those application settings what are the printer driver settings. Without knowing these things it's not really possible to reliably diagnose your issue.
Logged
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Rand47

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1902
Re: Odd result with Epson P800
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 11:30:49 am »

Due to house space, I moved my P800 to my darkroom building, which does not have internet-too far for my router.  Thus when I have some printing to do, I load a thumb drive with the files, and go to the P800 and print.
Being old and retired, this is an infrequent happening. Thus the printer sits for weeks with no activity.  This week, I had some nice magnolia prints to make, with green leaves and white flowers with some purple veins in the buds.
The printer produces black and white!  I did a head cleaning , nozzle check and got no problems, although the nozzle check shows VERY fine lines in the color printouts, perhaps this is common for this printer?  My 3800 printed much larger and darker nozzle checks.

Anyway, is there some issue I am missing? I am printing from LR, latest version and checked twice to see that I had selected "color" in the print orders and in the LR develop routine. 8)

If the nozzle check looks good, I'm going to venture a guess here.  Is there any way that the printer is in ABW mode somehow?  Are the B&W prints looking like good monochrome prints, or only "missing colors" and awful? 

Rand
Logged
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

  • Contributor
  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12525
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Odd result with Epson P800
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 11:43:21 am »

...................... Is there any way that the printer is in ABW mode somehow?  ................... 

Rand

Hi Rand, we're on the same wavelength here (see Reply #3 above), but having advanced this suggestion, not entirely clear this is what's going on, because it takes some effort to get that driver into ABW mode - not something that should normally occur by accident. If that's all there is to it regardless, problem solved, but will be interesting to see what the OP comes back with.
Logged
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Herbc

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 387
Re: Odd result with Epson P800
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 02:55:06 pm »

Ok, problem solved.  The printer was set to Epson color driver, and when I change it to sRGB that did it.  I always was told to "let the printer do the colors " or something like that, so who knew.  It may be my epson driver is out of date. I will look into that.
Also, since I rarely do color printing, I may have had a gremlin in the LR that was predisposed to b/w?
Logged

rdonson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3263
Re: Odd result with Epson P800
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 03:38:52 pm »

Glad that you got it sorted out and things are back to normal.

BTW, the yellow is very hard to read on the nozzle check printout for me.  A member of these forums recommended a light that solved all the problems for me and I'm very appreciative that he shared this trick.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RV8PREI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Logged
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up