Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson premium semimatte 260 (roll) Vs. ??  (Read 1824 times)

11201ny

Epson premium semimatte 260 (roll) Vs. ??
« on: May 23, 2017, 01:13:30 pm »

Hi, can anyone recommend a smooth paper as nice as Epson premium semimatte 260 (roll)? I realize that it's really not beautiful paper for fine prints, but I love it for color proofing. The sheet version (the actual commercial proofing paper) is too thin for my liking, and I'd really like to get away from the curled prints roll paper produces.

I've only tried Hahnemuhle Photo luster, and didn't like it's surface at all.

Anyone have a suggestion?

stockjock

Re: Epson premium semimatte 260 (roll) Vs. ??
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 02:07:01 pm »

Hi, can anyone recommend a smooth paper as nice as Epson premium semimatte 260 (roll)? I realize that it's really not beautiful paper for fine prints, but I love it for color proofing. The sheet version (the actual commercial proofing paper) is too thin for my liking, and I'd really like to get away from the curled prints roll paper produces.

I've only tried Hahnemuhle Photo luster, and didn't like it's surface at all.

Anyone have a suggestion?

First, let me say that I have not been able to figure out the differences between Epson's different proofing papers and semi-matte finishes from looking at their sample book or searching on the web.  And the similarity in naming makes distinguishing these papers fairly difficult.  But one knowledgeable poster on here or DPreview noted that the Epson Proofing Paper, White Semimatte Resin Coated Inkjet Paper, 9.89 mil., 255 gsm was a "special" paper in that it didn't have OBA's.  I confirmed it doesn't have OBA's using a UV light. 

I bought a roll and was very pleased with it.  I am using it on the Canon iPF8400 and print there using the Canon Semi Glossy Photo Paper HG 255 paper type and printer manages colors (I did test other settings).  The paper comes on a 3" roll and it lays flat very quickly with no persistent curl so far in the roll.  I would describe the surface as similar to a high end magazine and the thickness is pleasing without being excessive.  Gloss differential is modest although there is some bronzing.  In general, gamut and dmax are in line with the higher end papers I use.  I ended up buying several more rolls and my plan is to use the paper to produce 11x14" spiral ring bound portfolio books.  Cost was a significant factor for me.  I wanted to achieve a better print quality and lower cost than I could with Blurb and I think I have achieved that.  I also preferred the semi-matte surface for this application compared to satin or luster surfaces.

The specific paper I purchased is Epson S042003.  It is about $66 per 17" x 100' roll shipped from either B&H or Adorama. 

If anybody has any negatives to say about this paper or how it compares to other semi-matte or proofing papers I would love to hear their comments. 

FWIW

Paul

11201ny

Re: Epson premium semimatte 260 (roll) Vs. ??
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 09:33:50 am »

The Epson Premium Semimatte (260) is a completely different paper than the Epson Commercial Semimatte, & the Epson Standard Proofing paper (240).

I incorrectly ordered the Epson Standard Proofing paper (240) - 9mil, which is too thin for me. I just ordered the Epson Proofing Paper White Semimatte (255) - 9.9mil. Both lack optical brightners. The paper i am used to, Epson Premium Semimatte Archival Photo Inkjet Paper (16" x 100' Roll), is 260gsm / 10.9mil. What I am wondering, is if anyone can recommend a paper close to Epson Premium Semimatte Archival Photo Inkjet Paper (16" x 100' Roll), that comes in cut sheet (any manufacturer). Obviously Epson Proofing Paper White Semimatte (255) - 9.9mil is a good starting point.
Pages: [1]   Go Up