Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mt. Baker or Mt. Rainier for wildflowers  (Read 3268 times)

hogloff

Mt. Baker or Mt. Rainier for wildflowers
« on: May 23, 2017, 12:32:37 pm »

I'm planning a trip to Washington State in August and was wondering which of these two locations would be better for wildflowers with the peaks in the background. I plan on remote camping so I am close to the flowers in the morning and evening. Any trails or locations that exhibit a large flower bloom would be appreciated. I'm thinking the 2nd week of August.

thanks.

sierraman

Re: Mt. Baker or Mt. Rainier for wildflowers
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 08:55:57 pm »

I'm planning a trip to Washington State in August and was wondering which of these two locations would be better for wildflowers with the peaks in the background. I plan on remote camping so I am close to the flowers in the morning and evening. Any trails or locations that exhibit a large flower bloom would be appreciated. I'm thinking the 2nd week of August.

thanks.

I'm planning the same trip at the same time and decided to try Mt. Rainier first. This will be my first visit and after doing some research it looks like the first week in August should be a good time to go. I know the bloom is different each year so hoping my timing is correct. I'm going to focus on the Paradise area at first and then try to get some local advise. Good luck.  :)

muralin

• Murali's Website
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 10:18:45 am »

I believe wildflowers peak in mid August around Mt. Rainier. Checkout https://visitrainier.com/wildflower-hikes/
Murali
https://www.muralipix.com (Photography trips blog with pictures & location info)

RBFritz

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 12:29:42 pm »

I have photographed in mid august at Mt. Ranier several times. The Paradise area is best for wildflowers, then Sunrise Point and Tipsoo Lake. Also pre dawn from Reflection Lake and Sunrise Point.The first image is from Sunrise Point looking west and the second is from above Paradise area looking south.

sierraman

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 11:49:04 pm »

Just got back. The flowers were wonderful. The skies, not so much.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 12:04:26 am by sierraman »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 12:17:16 am »

Me, too. It's peaking right now, IMO. Don't wait any longer than you have to.  Elevation is your friend.

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 09:03:47 pm »

Sounds delightful!

RBFritz

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 03:26:27 pm »

Just got back from Mt. Ranier after deciding to go over there because of this discussion. Quite crowded but the flowers were out in full form as was the mountain. All three of these pics were taken from Emmon's vista near the Sunrise Point Lodge on 8/16 and8/17with a Fujifilm XT-1 and 18-135. As always c&c welcomed. Enjoy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up