Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: New profile making software: Lumariver Profile Designer  (Read 110738 times)

torger

Re: New profile making software: Lumariver Profile Designer
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2017, 11:02:02 am »

Thought about it a bit, and I'm probably not going to do anything about it, not yet at least. I want to concentrate on delivering value, not this b*llsh*t especially as my time is very limited and this is a one-man project. I'm actually in the midst of working with the next patch release, which ironically contains fixes for handling Russian file names on the Windows platform... the interest from eastern countries is very high, but the sales are few (not zero though!)... I wonder why...? ;)

Typical pirates generally don't buy anything ever, period. Even if it was €1, and they don't care if it's a struggling niche product from one hard-working individual or a well-established global hit from a huge company. If they can't get it for free they just don't get it, so technically you don't lose money on them, they're just a bunch of annoying ***holes, especially when they ask for support or demand some feature, or just generally say your software sucks and isn't worth the money (but still use it, just to rub it in). Serious higher end users, those that need the Pro and/or Repro editions is not the problem. Working photographers generally knows all about getting their own work pirated. I'm confident they will buy, and most customers so far are pro photographers or very serious amateurs. Many medium format users.

Where I expect to lose money is among more casual users that really only need the Basic version, but rather than paying €30 for that gets an illegal copy of the Repro for free. How many will those be? 5%, 10%, 30%, 50%? It's too early to estimate. If it's say 5-10% of actual losses it's very hard from a business standpoint to motivate counter-measures. It would be one thing if I would actually enjoy making them, but I certainly don't.

On the other hand it's for the Basic version there could be actual volume which could make this project profitable, that would be nice and it would be good for everyone. If it starts making real money I can work more on it, and I really want to. The Pro/Repro users is the core group, what makes this worthwhile and important for the quality of the project, but I need an unrealistic amount of them to actually cover development cost. There's a reason BasICColor is €500+VAT and ColorPony is $1000, and there's a bunch of half-dead or fully dead historical profilers. If you rely on pro users alone, the volumes will be very low and you thus need steep pricing.

So it's not a clear-cut case...

scyth

« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2017, 11:22:21 am »

and ColorPony
how did I manage never ever hear about them  :o

scyth

« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2017, 11:26:49 am »

On the other hand it's for the Basic version there could be actual volume which could make this project profitable

which again seems to be the case with FRV ( plus aggressive marketing, constant free trials and low cost... the authors do not really care about what is happening in the MOTHERLAND /literally/... you can't beat it anyways so no need to worry ) ... while RD version 2 is still a pipe dream

torger

« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2017, 12:35:58 pm »

Just bought it.  I respect the efforts of all software designers.

Thank you sir! ;D I have had some licenses sold for DCamProf users that really isn't into having a GUI but just wanted some way to sponsor, and getting an LRPD license is a good way. I appreciate it very much. I don't like to beg though, I flash the Lumariver GUI on the DCamProf web pages now, I thought that would be enough :).

Zachary Goulko

« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2017, 12:39:22 pm »

I purchased a repro license a few days ago and like the profiles coming out of LRPD better than X-rites or Adobe's software. Thanks for your hard work.
Would be nice to be able to enter the illuminant temperature manually because my strobes are at 4700k but the lowest I can select is D50.
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

scyth

« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2017, 12:47:07 pm »

I purchased a repro license a few days ago and like the profiles coming out of LRPD better than X-rites or Adobe's software. Thanks for your hard work.
Would be nice to be able to enter the illuminant temperature manually because my strobes are at 4700k but the lowest I can select is D50.

for dcp profiles the codes that can be used are :

0 = Unknown
1 = Daylight
2 = Fluorescent
3 = Tungsten (incandescent light)
4 = Flash
9 = Fine weather
10 = Cloudy weather
11 = Shade
12 = Daylight fluorescent (D 5700 - 7100K)
13 = Day white fluorescent (N 4600 - 5400K)
14 = Cool white fluorescent (W 3900 - 4500K)
15 = White fluorescent (WW 3200 - 3700K)
17 = Standard light A
18 = Standard light B
19 = Standard light C
20 = D55
21 = D65
22 = D75
23 = D50
24 = ISO studio tungsten
255 = Other light source

unless somebody corrects me

xenon strobe shall be OK to be coded as D50 for a general purpose profile
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 12:50:59 pm by scyth »

Doug Gray

« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2017, 02:12:21 pm »

I've been meaning to buy this simply because the underlying documentation is far better than anything else I've run across and I respect the work that has been done to create it. I'm happy, and facile enough, with the command line stuff but buying the gui product seems the least I can do given that value I've already reaped.

scyth

« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2017, 02:50:42 pm »

I've been meaning to buy this simply because the underlying documentation is far better than anything else I've run across and I respect the work that has been done to create it. I'm happy, and facile enough, with the command line stuff but buying the gui product seems the least I can do given that value I've already reaped.

one of my motives too ... plus the fact that author is available for interaction on the forum (and dudes from BasiCColor - not ... so minus to their karma)

sebbe

« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2017, 03:12:02 am »

one of my motives too ... plus the fact that author is available for interaction on the forum (and dudes from BasiCColor - not ... so minus to their karma)

If you write BasICColor an e-mail one of the developers reply nicely and they give you their phone number as well. But maybe it's because my native language is the same as theirs. :)

The big things + of lumariver over dcamprof are the GUI for curve editing and the look editing. I tried that with dcamprof but it was too much try and error workflow. After two years getting nuts with profiles I have now a nice starting point for my processing. If there is more time I will even create some base-styles and save them as profiles (e.g. "saturated midtones except for skin colors").

torger

« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2017, 06:49:46 am »

You can by selecting the "Illuminant: Black-body" and then enter the temperature in the separate field.

Zachary Goulko

« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2017, 11:42:27 pm »

You can by selecting the "Illuminant: Black-body" and then enter the temperature in the separate field.
Great, I will give that a try. Thanks
Zachary Goulko
www.goulko.com

torger

« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2017, 03:35:14 am »

After some delay, v1.0.3 has been released:

New: now possible to adjust hues with a+b sliders in addition to
         hue+chroma, for additional control of chromaticity, especially near
         the neutral axis.
    New: Jab adjustment patch in the look adjustment editor as an
         alternative to the default JCh adjustment. Again for better control
         around the neutral axis.
    Fixed: apply any custom target adjustments before finding out whitest
           patch rather than after.
    Fixed: accept longer patch names to better support SpectraShop CGATS
           files.
    Fixed: matrix calculate button was in some situations incorrectly
           disabled with white patch auto setting.
    Fixed: now full unicode support in all filenames on Windows.
    Fixed: portable filenames in the .zip archives (so Mac archives work
           on Windows and vice-versa even if non-ASCII filenames are used).
    Fixed: when DCP tone curves are imported they are now interpolated
           using cubic spline, as said in the DNG specification 1.4.0.0
           (before it was linear).
    Fixed: locked GUI on MacOS when opening project files from the Finder.
    Fixed: glare matching setting didn’t stick.
    Fixed: crash with custom grids due to automatic flatfield correction
           was falsely triggered.
    Fixed: crash when using CMP Digital Target 8.
    Fixed: uninitialized data access on toolbox tab change leading to
           crashes in some occassions.

As you see mostly fixes, but I finally added the Jab controls for color adjustments as suggested by "daicehawk" a while back. The main advantage with Jab is better control near the neutral axis, but some users prefer Jab over JCh also further away from neutral. Note that if you make DNG profiles the ability to tune the neutrals are limited in practice as the DCP format doesn't allow colorizing neutrals. If you're really hardcore I guess you could disable all neutrals on the target except one and tune that, and that way shift the fixed neutral.

scyth

« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2017, 12:13:26 pm »

Did you finish all the big fixes now and have time to consider small UI-like requests ?

torger

« Reply #133 on: June 20, 2017, 12:46:26 pm »

Did you finish all the big fixes now and have time to consider small UI-like requests ?

I'm sort of considering summer vacation ;), but sure something needs to be in the next release too. Most efforts will for a while probably go to user support (which generally includes fixing some bugs still left) and tuning the repro workflow in collaboration with art repro professionals, while enjoying the short Swedish summer.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 12:58:06 pm by torger »

scyth

« Reply #134 on: June 20, 2017, 02:15:03 pm »

I'm sort of considering summer vacation ;)

sorry to rain on your parade - but people are already up in arms after your new licensing code ...

torger

« Reply #135 on: June 21, 2017, 01:41:26 am »

sorry to rain on your parade - but people are already up in arms after your new licensing code ...

Heh, of course they are, why would they stop now? It's a game to them. I guess we have to let them play...

TommyWeir

« Reply #136 on: June 21, 2017, 12:06:31 pm »

Many thanks for this.  So happy to be able to use my Color Checker with Capture One as fully as I'd like.

Purchased.

parhelic14

« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2017, 04:15:19 am »

Is it possible add a function to import external 3d-lut and convert it to DNG profile with Lumariver?

torger

« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2017, 04:47:50 am »

Is it possible add a function to import external 3d-lut and convert it to DNG profile with Lumariver?

I assume it would be added as a looktable only, that is on top of the base profile, and the import format would be say ".cube". That could be done, but note that a DNG LUT can colorize the neutral axis so it may not be possible to apply all changes the imported LUT does.

What is the desired workflow / use case?

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2017, 07:27:01 am »

Useful Digital Transitions/Phase One guide to creating repro profiles for Capture One:

https://dtdch.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Public-Color-Guide-DTDCH-v2.pdf

Malcolm

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up