Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating a new session-Problems  (Read 1500 times)

sjprg

Creating a new session-Problems
« on: May 22, 2017, 11:25:13 am »

Let me say first, that your RAW Imaging portion of C1 is the best I have ever found and I'm sure I will be with you for years as I all ready have.
My background is in design of DOD databases and medical imaging databases on IBM main frames and MS work stations  for over 20 years.
Now Retired.

Creating a new session has several design errors which makes navigating through the setup very time consuming and aggravating for those whom have written databases for years.
The first session ever created seems to work, creating the structure, capture, output, select, trash, as expected under the selected image folder. BUT then when you import the images expecting them to show up in the structure capture, you find that capture is not pointed to the selected image folder but to the last place file explorer was pointed to even though the information on screen says it is pointed to capture. Output structure is even worse, it points to the previous output folder even if you have used the choose folder dropdown, even though the screen shows it pointed correctly.
Even worse when a second new session is selected it still contains information from the first session.
It appears that instead of creating an entirely new blank structure it uses the same structure but only overwrites some of it. What makes it hard to decipher what is happening is that it is not consistent.  (memory leak ?) I also feel that since this was originally written for tethered operation it was modified for image folders and not completely vetted by QC. The same problem occurs on three of my computers.

Windows 10 Pro and Windows 10 Enterprise.
C1 10.1.1
Paul

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Creating a new session-Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 12:29:23 pm »

If you don't like the default session simply make one that fits your needs (structure, naming, assigned capture folder etc) and Save as Template. Then on your 2nd session you can select that template and that will stick for all future sessions.

This is the method we teach in our Capture One classes.

sjprg

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 02:57:09 pm »

I don't need a separate template. What is needed is for new session created by C1 to correctly create a new structure under the selected image source folder and correctly point the files to the structure without user intervention. All the user should need to select is the image source folder.
What you have now is illogical, error prone and confusing. Sorry to be a gadfly but QC needs to take a closer look at how sessions are created from a hierarchy of image folders created by Drive,MasterYear, year, month, day. The errors will become apparent.
Regards;
Paul
Paul

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 05:57:46 pm »

I don't need a separate template. What is needed is for new session created by C1 to correctly create a new structure under the selected image source folder and correctly point the files to the structure without user intervention. All the user should need to select is the image source folder.
What you have now is illogical, error prone and confusing. Sorry to be a gadfly but QC needs to take a closer look at how sessions are created from a hierarchy of image folders created by Drive,MasterYear, year, month, day. The errors will become apparent.
Regards;
Paul

Hey Paul,

Not sure what has led you to this point, but after making your new Session, hit Reset tool in the Import Too dialog in the import window.

Same goes for the output location tool.   (See attachment)

The way you wish your session to work is actually the intention.   i.e Everything can remain on default and imports go to Capture, Exports to Output etc.

If my suggestion doesn't work, I would contact support as what you are experiencing is not the norm.

David
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager
Pages: [1]   Go Up