Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Too much to bear ... or carry .. HALP!  (Read 4831 times)

aboudd

• Aboud Dweck - A Body of Work
Too much to bear ... or carry .. HALP!
« on: May 16, 2017, 04:30:25 pm »

This is what I call a first world problem caused by an embarrassment of too much gear. This summer I am heading to Iceland for the second time. I am taking two kits, the Canon 5D IV for street shooting and the Leica S with 30,35,70 and 120 lenses for landscape shots. I'm trying to decide, in order to lighten the Leica kit, if I should leave the 35 (28MM perspective) at home and possibly the 120 (90MM perspective) and take only the 30 (24MM perspective) and 70MM (50MM perspective). For the Canon I have light primes, the 24 and 28MM 2.8 IS, a 50 1.8 and either the 85mm 1.8 or the 70-200 F4. If I want to go wider than the Leica 30, I would have to go to take the Canon 11-24 (heavy) or the Canon 17-40 (light, but not the punch of the 11-24).

This conundrum may seem rather silly. Yes I could take the Canon 17-40 and leave the 24 and 28 at home, but the primes are 2.8 and IS and the 17-40 is F4 and not IS. The second question is how much use would I get out of the 11-16MM space for landscapes on the Canon 11-24? I can predict that there will be a situation where I will wish I bought XXX lens for the perfect shot I miss, but I am going to try to be somewhat realistic, keeping the weight on my shoulders in mind.

Any thoughts? Let the games begin. 
A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer in your pants.
www.dweckgallery.com

degrub

Re: Too much to bear ... or carry .. HALP!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 05:04:47 pm »

Just hire a llama. ;)

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 05:10:40 pm »

I make life simpler than that - I just take a Fuji X100 most times I go away. It will focus your mind and free your creativity in its simplicity.

That said I guess it might be rather constricting for Landscape - then again maybe I'm not so sure. It offers a versatile focal length.

Get the X100F when it's available and skip like a new born lamb through the Icelandic terrain :)

Mike

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 05:38:33 pm »

What are shots for?
Pro: take all (don't forget the tripod!)
Not: take a Sony RX10iii and "don't worry, be happy" (and so totally unburdened!)

As per your request (assuming you may actually have a use for high IQ images - I mean a real use like a number of large prints, or active stock sales, etc.):
Leica: 30, 70 (120 possibly)
Canon: 11-24, 50, 70-200

Or, leave the Leica at home and just take the Canon. I don't need to remind you that great, publishable photos have more to do with you than either of the systems, so I won't. If you're burdened, how much more productive will you be? I get what you're sayin', but we really do put far too much emphasis on gear and the "one that got away" because we didn't have such-and-such with us.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

aboudd

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 05:47:23 pm »

I did consider a sherpa ... I'll look into the Fuji - but skipping at my age may be a problem.

Luxborealis: Yes, I am a pro and I do sell large prints. The Leica is non-negotiable. I love the color rendering and the resolution is superb. The Canon is more for street use, so the 28, 50 & 70-200 would cover that. As I was thinking about it a bit more, I do have a 17 TS-E which I could use exclusively for ultra wide landscapes the Leica 30MM won't cover, and leave the heavier 11-24 at home. I won't forgot the tripod, thanks for the reminder anyway! ;)

www.dweckgallery.com
www.dweckgallery.com

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 07:23:11 pm »

I don't know any street shooters using Canon 5D4 cameras.  Most street shooters I know are Fuji, Oly and Sony shooters all mirrorless and generally using 35-50mm equiv lenses.  That includes me (Fuji X-T1 and Fuji X-T2).
Regards,
Ron

aboudd

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 08:16:36 pm »

Interesting, all of the street shooters I've know used RF or SLR  ;). Personally I like optical viewing, so I'll stick with the DSLR 35mm format. I've narrowed down my Canon street kit to the 28,40 pancake and 85. For me, that is a lightweight kit.
www.dweckgallery.com

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 02:34:14 am »

Interesting, all of the street shooters I've know used RF or SLR  ;). Personally I like optical viewing, so I'll stick with the DSLR 35mm format. I've narrowed down my Canon street kit to the 28,40 pancake and 85. For me, that is a lightweight kit.
Just talked yourself into a Fuji X100F for street :) The optical VF is a delight and then you have the option of EVF if you feel you need it.

I looked at the Fuji MF GX50 and decided it was way too big and heavy and the nice Fuji salesman took a pop at the Leica for size and usability but I can well understand the attraction of the Leica.

I will now shut up and leave you to your deliberations :)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 03:51:01 am »

I would definitely take the 11-24 zoom, seems perfect to photograph inside ice caves and constricted places.

Since the Leica gives you what you want for landscapes, I suggest you simplify your "street kit".

aboudd

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 06:15:49 am »

Thanks for all the feedback guys. It is appreciated.

Paulo, the 11-24 would be great to carry, but I think the 17MM TS-E has the advantage of being a lot lighter and a tilt/shift as well. 

drmike, don't be silenced! I own too much gear now, but out of curiosity I will look into the Fuji X100F. What the hell, who needs food in retirement?
www.dweckgallery.com

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 10:37:59 am »

Thanks for all the feedback guys. It is appreciated.

Paulo, the 11-24 would be great to carry, but I think the 17MM TS-E has the advantage of being a lot lighter and a tilt/shift as well. 

drmike, don't be silenced! I own too much gear now, but out of curiosity I will look into the Fuji X100F. What the hell, who needs food in retirement?

Look here for examples of the 11-24 in Iceland:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/9071490684/wider-than-wide-a-landscape-photographers-review-of-the-canon-11-24mm

NancyP

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2017, 11:48:02 am »

What specifically do you want to photograph? Any aurora photography? Mostly landscapes? Street?

If you want aurora or astro, I would suggest a faster wide prime, because there is no substitute for photons in astrophotography. However, be aware that the auroras never look like the photos - that's post processing.

How fit are you? How much ground do you expect to travel in a day? How well does your backpack fit? Will you need to scramble/climb or use hiking poles to get to sites? Will you be able to use a hotel safe for gear not taken on specific trips?

BrownBear

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 12:18:52 pm »

Here's an insight and implied caution for you.

We often traveled with a LOT of gear for location shoots. Transporting it from A to B was one thing, but once we arrived we simply could not carry all of it on our persons all the time.  We made a daily assessment of what we'd need, then left everything else in hotel rooms, secure storage lockers, even vehicles.  Our biggest ongoing hassle was security for the gear we didn't need for a day.

I'm betting that in spite of your aims to carry it all with you all the time, day by day you're going to start ditching a fair share of it.

I'd put as much thought and effort into your security arrangements as your carry strategy. I'd also sit down and record the weight of each item to come up with a realistic total.  The differences between 60#, 40#, 20# and 10# have huge impacts on your mobility, and yes, your daily performance.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 12:37:57 pm by BrownBear »

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 12:30:02 pm »

I tried traveling a few times with just a Leica M8 with a 21mm lens and a 75mm lens.  I also had an X100 as my 35mm and backup camera.  I found I focused more and saw only what was in my range of capture instead of thinking about all the potentially missed shots.  All my work still ended up looking like the work I am used to making.  After that I traveled with medium format once more and that was the last time.  It just made no real difference to me.  To me.  I know take the x100 as a backup, but rely on an E-M1mkII and two lenses to cover 24-400mm.  Happy as a clam.

Based on your description...my only thought is if you need the 5D for street shooting...why not just take one small prime and that is that.  Keep the leica for all the big shots, and let the canon truly be a street shooter and low light evening camera instead of being a second kit. 

Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

aboudd

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 05:54:10 pm »

Thanks all, for your suggestions and comments, they have been most helpful.

Paulo - thank you for the link. The images reinforce the decision I made yesterday - based on your suggestion, to take the 11-24, specifically for wider perspectives where the Leica won't suffice.

Brown Bear, my assignment work is mostly architectural so I am used to schlepping a lot of gear on location, albeit with an assistant. That is why I am limiting what I take on this trip. Having shot in Iceland a few years back with limited gear, I know I want to go wider this time around and use the Leica S as much as possible. The widest Leica lens I have is the 30MM, which is why I am taking the Canon and 11-24 to supplement the Leica. As to the street shooting, the Canon with the 28, 40 (or 50 1.8) & 85 will fit my needs nicely. That particular combo is fairly light on my shoulder in a messenger bag.

Nancy P, I haven't tried astro photography yet. One of my favorite adages: "if I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself." I do a bit of weight training,  I do trails slowly, what's the rush? and watch for surface issues as I hike. 

Tony, I had an M9 once, I just couldn't well relate to a RF. I did use a couple of the images I shot with it in my book however. I can't imagine shooting with one small prime. While I like the 40/50 perspective for most of it, but I do find myself using the 28 and 85 as well. I take your point about shooting what is in the range of capture however, which is why I don't like using zooms. I find myself hunting for a shot when I use a zoom instead of discovering it as I do when I use a prime - and zoom with my feet.

So gang, this is what I have (98%) decided to take. Leica S with 30,70 (still undecided about the 120). Canon 5D IV with 11-24, 28, 50 1.8 and 85 1.8. All of this fits in a small roller case for transport. I fill my shoulder bags with clothes and toss them in my suitcase until I get to the hotel.
www.dweckgallery.com

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2017, 05:59:31 pm »

All the best for a great trip. Please share your results upon return!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

BrownBear

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 10:38:56 am »

So gang, this is what I have (98%) decided to take. Leica S with 30,70 (still undecided about the 120). Canon 5D IV with 11-24, 28, 50 1.8 and 85 1.8. All of this fits in a small roller case for transport. I fill my shoulder bags with clothes and toss them in my suitcase until I get to the hotel.

That's rational.

NancyP

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 11:28:03 am »

you don't miss having a tilt-shift?

aboudd

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 06:45:05 am »

Actually I go back and forth between the 11-24 and the 17MM TS-E. The TS is a slower working lens in the field and has the one perspective.
www.dweckgallery.com

D White

• Don White
    • iStock
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 06:50:11 pm »

This is what I call a first world problem caused by an embarrassment of too much gear. This summer I am heading to Iceland for the second time. I am taking two kits, the Canon 5D IV for street shooting and the Leica S with 30,35,70 and 120 lenses for landscape shots. I'm trying to decide, in order to lighten the Leica kit, if I should leave the 35 (28MM perspective) at home and possibly the 120 (90MM perspective) and take only the 30 (24MM perspective) and 70MM (50MM perspective). For the Canon I have light primes, the 24 and 28MM 2.8 IS, a 50 1.8 and either the 85mm 1.8 or the 70-200 F4. If I want to go wider than the Leica 30, I would have to go to take the Canon 11-24 (heavy) or the Canon 17-40 (light, but not the punch of the 11-24).

This conundrum may seem rather silly. Yes I could take the Canon 17-40 and leave the 24 and 28 at home, but the primes are 2.8 and IS and the 17-40 is F4 and not IS. The second question is how much use would I get out of the 11-16MM space for landscapes on the Canon 11-24? I can predict that there will be a situation where I will wish I bought XXX lens for the perfect shot I miss, but I am going to try to be somewhat realistic, keeping the weight on my shoulders in mind.

Any thoughts? Let the games begin.

My point of view; dump the Leica completely as this is not a travel cam. Pick up the Canon 16-35f2.8L III, (a phenomenal lens with great versatility and reasonable weight), or the almost as good 16-35f4 IS. The 17-40 is old and outclassed and should be sold off. The 24-70f2.8 II could also have a place. You could potentially travel with just 3 lenses and cover 90% of your needs.
Dr D White DDS BSc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up