Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji GFX 50S – A Sunday Road Trip  (Read 4291 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Fuji GFX 50S – A Sunday Road Trip
« on: May 14, 2017, 10:49:07 pm »

I just published an article on my experiences shooting with the Fuji GFX 50S for a day.  A full review will be coming but this is a chance to see numerous images made with the GFX.  You can zoom in on the images to 100% size.  I also did some comparisons with the Sony a7r II.  Pop on over to the homepage to read and view.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

hsteeves

Re: Fuji GFX 50S – A Sunday Road Trip
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2017, 11:22:49 pm »

bonding with a camera.  My A7rii went down the road when I received my GFX - even though it is a clonky thing.  I just feel more comfortable using it than I ever really did using Sony.   

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 05:02:46 am »

I finally had the chance to put my hands on a GFX yesterday.

As expected, I found the EVF experience unpleasant (like all other EVFs as far as I am concerned) and the design pretty ugly (which I couldn't case less about). But focus was pretty fast, the ease of accurate manual focus impressive and the handling was good.

So all in all, I keep it in my radar and will probably wait a couple of years for the GFX2 that is likely to be a mature product with an excellent EVF by then.

Cheers,
Bernard

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 06:33:32 am »

The nice thing about this camera is the EVF is a separate piece.  So if the viewfinder is improved you only need to buy it without buying a new camera.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

dhachey

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 12:07:49 pm »

Thanks for publishing your experiences with both.  Like you, I was considering the same choice between Sony and Fuji, so I am relieved to hear that the images from these two fine cameras are nearly indistinguishable.  I already own a Fuji X-T2, and it is indeed a fine camera, but to use it effectively I would need a whole new set of lenses.  I've been shooting Canon for many years and have a wide collection of lenses and bodies, so being able to use my existing lenses (warts and all) turned out to be a powerful inducement for Sony.  In the end, I'm selling my Fuji gear (sigh...), and keeping the Sony A7Rii and my beloved Canon gear. The 42 MP images from the Sony are just wonderful to work with in post processing, and they take sharpening very well. So far, IMHO, none of the mirrorless options out there are really suitable for wildlife photography. 

P.S.  Another inducement is that the Sony body is about 1/3rd the price of the GFX.  There is much less cost differential in lens prices, but for me that's not really a consideration.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 12:11:09 pm by dhachey »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 10:42:36 pm »

The nice thing about this camera is the EVF is a separate piece.  So if the viewfinder is improved you only need to buy it without buying a new camera.

Yes, in theory. Now it remains to be seen whether the electronics on camera side (including the sensor) has been designed to stream at higher resolution than the current EVF. But I agree that resolution isn't everything and that it should already be possible to improve significantly the EVF at iso resolution with better DR,...

Cheers,
Bernard

Tinderbox

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 12:27:05 pm »

To me the big benefit of using a higher-pixel sensor outside of the studio is the freedom to crop, even radically if necessary, and still get usable images.  This is particularly nice in situations where you may not have time to carefully compose, such as street or nature photography.

Colwyn

• www.colwyngriffith.com
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 11:59:12 am »

:'(
Although I am grateful to have Fuji enter the MF space, I don't believe they will capture FF pro studio shooters from Nikon810, Canon 50MP or Sony ARll until, they switch sensor producers.  At this time, Sony is really NOT incentivized to produce a true 16 bit 60MP MF sensor.  Why would they?  Doing that would certainly hurt their Full Frame market share.  I work in a product photography studio where we regularly use our trusty 7 year old Dulsa 33MP multi-shot sensor in our Sinar, the new CMOSIS/STO sensor in our 37MP 007 s Leica and an old 39MP multi-shot Dulsa in our Hasselblad. Of the three, the 16 bit CMOSIS/STM (Leica) performs the best and has better whites and blacks as well as highlight and shadow performance.  The Sinar as well as the Leica have near perfect colour rendition. It is amazing.  The Hasselblad is not nearly as good with colour or highlights and shadow.  We have also demoed a two of the latest offerings by Hassy, including their 100MP "14-bit-to-16-bit interpolated" sensor, but are not convinced by the colour accuracy or image quality to justifying an upgrade.  We are now thinking if Sinar doesn't come out with a big multishot CEMOS sensor by the end of the year we will test the highly touted Sinar multishot 50MP-200MP eXact back.   Leica was smart NOT to buy into the "Sony-Sonsor hype" and search out better manufacturers.  I believe Fuji+Nikon need to merg, follow suit, and work with companies who are not directly in competition with. CMOSIS/STM and even DULSA fit the bill here.  I won't purchase this camera until they do that and handle a real 4k video option.  Won't be surprised if this never happens ...I'll survive;)   

Alistair

The photo viewer is fantastic
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 07:06:57 am »

Great photo viewer used in this article. Works superbly on mobile. Have never seen anything quite this good.
Alistair
Pages: [1]   Go Up