Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Robbed, stabbed and lost all my gear - what to replace it with?  (Read 12469 times)

shadowblade

Just lost all my cameras, some key lenses and a bit of blood in a robbery in Buenos Aires two hours ago. Stitched up my own leg - the question is, how to replace my gear.

I was previously running a hybrid setup, with a Sony A7r2 and A7r, and also lost a Canon TS-E 17, TS-E 24 Ii, Sigma 35/1.4, Canon 70-200 2.8L II, Metabones adapter, Gitzo 1241T tripod and Arca-Swiss C1 Cube (and a ratty-looking backpack which doesn't even look like a camera bag).

Thing is, a fair bit of that is simply because I didn't see the point in replacing perfectly-good Canon lenses with their Sony counterparts just to shoot landscapes. Clearly, any replacements will be different (although there is no substitute for the tilt-shifts). Still have a RRS TVC-34L in my main pack, but I will also need a new hiking tripod and Cube.

But I really don't want to buy another A7r2, since Sony may have an A9r within a year, and who knows what Canon will do with the 5Ds2 image-quality wise? So I don't even know which system to buy - Canon or Sony.

Any thoughts? Which system would you buy, and why?

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
Re: Robbed, stabbed and lost all my gear - what to replace it with?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 04:00:36 pm »

Just lost all my cameras, some key lenses and a bit of blood in a robbery in Buenos Aires two hours ago. Stitched up my own leg - the question is, how to replace my gear.

I was previously running a hybrid setup, with a Sony A7r2 and A7r, and also lost a Canon TS-E 17, TS-E 24 Ii, Sigma 35/1.4, Canon 70-200 2.8L II, Metabones adapter, Gitzo 1241T tripod and Arca-Swiss C1 Cube (and a ratty-looking backpack which doesn't even look like a camera bag).

Thing is, a fair bit of that is simply because I didn't see the point in replacing perfectly-good Canon lenses with their Sony counterparts just to shoot landscapes. Clearly, any replacements will be different (although there is no substitute for the tilt-shifts). Still have a RRS TVC-34L in my main pack, but I will also need a new hiking tripod and Cube.

But I really don't want to buy another A7r2, since Sony may have an A9r within a year, and who knows what Canon will do with the 5Ds2 image-quality wise? So I don't even know which system to buy - Canon or Sony.

Are you patient? Are you a risk-taker?

If the answer to both those questions is yes, then maybe the GFX. You will probably want to repurchase the 17 T/S, and for sure you'll want the 23mm when it's available, and you'll probably want to use the 32-64 for now. Some of the native lenses might be too heavy for hiking though.

Just a thought from left field.

Stitched yourself up? You are one hardy soul.

Jim

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 04:36:41 pm »

Are you patient? Are you a risk-taker?

If the answer to both those questions is yes, then maybe the GFX. You will probably want to repurchase the 17 T/S, and for sure you'll want the 23mm when it's available, and you'll probably want to use the 32-64 for now. Some of the native lenses might be too heavy for hiking though.

Just a thought from left field.

Stitched yourself up? You are one hardy soul.

Jim

Not sure about that. I often find myself needing the long lenses that MF lacks (for mountain peaks, etc.) and 44mm sensor width is barely larger than 36mm (I don't care about the height, since most of my shots are wide-format panoramas).

Fixing injuries and dealing with trauma is a major part of my day job. I've also had to operate on myself in Ethiopia before,  so this was comparatively easy.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 05:06:42 pm »

Not sure about that. I often find myself needing the long lenses that MF lacks (for mountain peaks, etc.) and 44mm sensor width is barely larger than 36mm (I don't care about the height, since most of my shots are wide-format panoramas).

Doesn't sound like a good fit for you then. I like 4:5 and 1:1 images, so it's a big improvement for me. BTW, the Leica-R  180/2.8 'rit, 180/3.4 Apo-Telyt, and 280/4 Apo-Telyt all work well on the GFX at 4:5 or squarer. The Zeiss 135/2 Apo and Leica-M 135/3.4 Apo-Telyt do too.

If you use really long lenses, make sure that you've got some kind of stabilization for focusing, even if you're going to put the camera on a tripod. I find it very difficult to get precise focusing north of 300mm without IBIS or OSS (I turn it off before I make the exposure). For that reason, I'm not going to use the GFX for anything over 280 mm.

Jim

degrub

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 05:20:03 pm »

Bernard Languillier does a lot of stitching images backpacking in Japan.

shadowblade

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 05:26:37 pm »

Never had any problems nailing focus at long focal lengths. After all, if the birders can track birds, focusing a landscape isn't particularly challenging.

At 420mm:

shadowblade

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 05:30:20 pm »

Also, what's currently the cheapest place to buy cameras and lenses, including shipping to Australia? It's no longer DigitalRev, and it's certainly not anywhere in Australia itself...

degrub

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 05:33:08 pm »

Did you look at B&H ?

shadowblade

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 05:41:32 pm »

Did you look at B&H ?

Yes. I take them as the baseline. But, surely, there must be some Hong Kong seller doing it for less, unless something's changed since I last bought lenses.

The Australian dollar's dropped by a third, which already increases prices a lot compared with last time.

degrub

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 05:45:41 pm »

Hong Kong was going to be my second suggestion. What about used in Australia or New Zealand ? Or talk with Meing Thein in K.L Malaysia ? He is mainly MF.  Japan has a good used market, but i don't know about the exchange rate.

shadowblade

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 11:02:19 pm »

You won't get C1 Cubes, Canon TS-E lenses and Sony GM lenses used.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 11:05:03 pm »

Sorry to hear about these news.

If I were to start from scratch today I would personnally still go Nikon, even prior to the D820 annoucement. The main reason being their recent lenses that are just outstanding in terms of look and technical excellence, best AF on moving subjects and best in class low ISO (D810) and high ISO (D5) image quality.

Cheers,
Bernard

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017, 11:05:29 pm »

For New Zealand here are two search engines:
https://pricespy.co.nz/
https://www.priceme.co.nz/

Here are three places I'd recommend for second hand:
https://www.photo.co.nz/
http://www.aucklandcamera.co.nz/
http://www.wps.net.nz/

Our last serious discounter has just been bought out. I tend to buy a lot now from B&H. I'm willing to pay up to 20% more to buy from a NZ retail shop, but B&H sometimes undercut prices here by more than that, even including shipping and GST.
David

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 11:10:25 pm »

Sorry to hear about these news.

If I were to start from scratch today I would personnally still go Nikon, even prior to the D820 annoucement. The main reason being their recent lenses that are just outstanding in terms of look and technical excellence, best AF on moving subjects and best in class low ISO (D810) and high ISO (D5) image quality.

Cheers,
Bernard

I'd second that. I'm a fan of Fuji's X-T2 for travelling: I can get all my gear in my carry-on and not be overweight.
But the D810 will give you pretty good files if you don't mind the bulk.
David

scyth

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 11:14:12 pm »

Which system would you buy, and why?

stun grenade...

shadowblade

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2017, 11:18:17 pm »

I can't consider Nikon an option. Any serious lens investment has to be for the future, and I can't see where Nikon is going in terms of high-resolution, high DR bodies. Canon and Sony? Definitely. And, unlike Canon lenses, I can't even use Nikon lenses effectively on a Sony body if Nikon falls behind in the sensor stakes.

Also, the 24mm tilt-shift is decidedly sub-par, and it's probably my most-used lens.

shadowblade

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2017, 11:19:48 pm »

Any idea who are the cheapest Hong Kong retailers at the moment? DigitalRev used to be my go-to place, but they've gone expensive since their blog/video business took off.

scyth

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 11:20:50 pm »

The main reason being their recent lenses that are just outstanding in terms of look and technical excellence, best AF on moving subjects and best in class low ISO (D810) and high ISO (D5) image quality.

Cheers,
Bernard

it does not look like OP needs AF on moving subjects or low light / high gain / few MP raws ... nikon lenses can be used on Sony dSLMs and best in class low ISO is just a tiny bit ( http://photonstophotos.net/Charts/PDR.htm#Nikon%20D810,Sony%20ILCE-7RM2 )

scyth

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 11:28:40 pm »

Also, what's currently the cheapest place to buy cameras and lenses, including shipping to Australia? It's no longer DigitalRev, and it's certainly not anywhere in Australia itself...

ebay = take a risk with grey one = http://www.ebay.com/itm/272464729168

and for Canon lenses on Sony dSLM = there is a good discount on Simga MC-11 adapter now = https://www.adorama.com/sgmc11c.html = $149... you can get one for each EF lens you need @ that price
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 11:32:51 pm by scyth »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 11:56:30 pm »

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the robbery, but nice to hear that you concern is gear.

I am shooting a similar setup to yours. If you need the T&S lenses there is no such gear from Sony. The G-Master lenses may be great, but I think that the Canon lenses are better priced. So, I would stay with Canon lenses. With Canon lenses you have the choice to use them on Canon bodies or Sony bodies.

Jim Kasson suggested that Fuji GFX may be an interesting alternative.

Personally, I am not very interested in Nikon. But I know to little about that system.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up