Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mirrorless - tilt-shift - macro - wide angle view camera movements - bellows???  (Read 3852 times)

IrwinL

This is not commercial - I am not selling anything at this time. Image below.  I am perhaps soon launching a Kickstarter campaign for something simple and simplistic - an ecosystem agnostic bag bellows.

Someone asked for comment said: "Enables fun and fascinating tilt-shift photography with any camera and lens - works with wide angle lenses - works with any brand of equipment without adaptors - light weight and packable - very affordable"

The project was originally a more complicated view camera for digital mirrorless  cameras (i.e. Sony a series). From what I could tell, it was the only view camera in existence that worked with flexibility with mirrorless backs and wide angle lenses. The camera was complicated to make, and would be expensive to sell - at the last minute I decided against launching the campaign as it did not seem right for a few reasons.

Instead, what I am now thinking is to launch a Kickstarter for the one unique innovative piece of the abandoned camera - the piece that allowed it to work with flexibility with various lenses and wide angle  - just the bellows as a product for $50.00 CDN (36 USD). 

This scrunchable piece of neoprene can be used handheld for playful view camera movements, or, it can be used as an integral part of a view camera system - a view camera system that works with wide angle.  That view camera system may be a slightly modified Horseman LX or something like it; or it may be put together pieces: a lens collar, a camera plate, 2 panoramic heads, a focussing rail or two and this bellows - as expensive or in-expensive as you work ($250 - $3,000++) - or combination of partially handheld and supported.  Take the bellows, add a camera and a lens - you have view camera movements without limit on how close the lens can get to the camera - it works with wide angle lenses.

With it, you can explore: Miniature Faking - Perspective Control - Image Stitching Tilt-Shift Photography - Macro Photography Architectural Photography - Landscape Photography - Packshot Photograph - General-Purpose-Non-Hyphenated-Photography. Conceptually it is a view camera which scrunches into a pocket (sort of).

It can work along with, or serve similar purpose to equipment such as a view camera, or a macro extension tube set, or macro focussing bellows, or closeup filters, or a tilt-shift lens, or a tilt-shift lens adaptor (i.e. Mirex), or a panoramic head (stitching), or as a universal metabones like device (no electrical connection), It is sort of like a Lensbaby that works with all lenses, It works with a cameraphone as well (with a simple plate with a hole in it).

The reason other bellow/view camera systems have issue with wide angle lenses is because  'standard'' assembly has thickness preventing the camera from getting close to the lens - thus they cannot be used wide angle lenses.

This bellows attaches differently, it wraps around the lens bayonet and around the camera lens attach extrusion - it is then tightened with a stretch cord loop with locking mechanism - light-tight.  With this system,  the minimum flange focussing distance restriction  is 0mm (zero) - the two can touch. It is like a light-tight sock bellows. Because of the simple patent pending system, there is no need for adaptors - the mounting is flexible enough to work with all circles around the size of a lens bayonet - it is ecosystem agnostic - it works with almost all cameras and lenses out of the box - just put flexible cylinder overtop and tighten - light-tight  (2.4 oz). Take a camera and lens - add the bellows - you have view camera movements - macro focussing with tilt-shift capabilities one can plug various cameras and lenses into.

For example - if you wanted to tilt a Canon TS-E-24 more than the 8.5 degrees limit, or shift it more than the 12mm limit - this is the tool - plus it adds macro capabilities to the lens and corrects its incorrect off axis shift.  Works with Sony, should work, but not tested with Nikon, Hasselblad, Canon, Sigma, Fuji, and more - no adaptors required (a small macro extension tube (6mm) may be required at the camera lens mount for better grip of the bellows if the camera body does not have an extrusion at the lens mount. (I found the TS-E-24 frustrating, 8.5 degrees is where the fun begins - where things begin to get interesting).

I got feedback from people i knew on the expensive complicated camera project, and part of that feedback is what led to me abandoning the project, rethinking it, and simplifying down to its most useful / unique part - something cheap and easy - 1/72th the price.

It is a way to get into tilt-shift macro photography for $36.00 including shipping (price may change - this is not for sale - this post is seeking feedback - price is part of the description of the product). Can be used as a gadget or as a serious tool part of a serious tool system.

In the last few days I approached a few  posters via private message seeking feedback - a few people on here and few on another site. Part of the request email asked to "politely tear it to shreds".  The tone of the draft campaign  is off - it was a campaign for a $3,600 view camera in the process of being edited into a campaign for a 50 CAD bellows (the price may change - I am still waiting for information).

Some people said they would review and have not gotten back to me, others who did were helpful - Thank you again.

The one single thing that is unique about this product is that there is no other product on the market like it, or a product that does what it does with regards to flexibility. It is not fancy, but it does a lot. There are a lot of devices that do similar things functionally - this does it simpler -  it works with a lot of ecosystem without adaptors. It is just a simple thing that allows view camera movements with a mirrorless back so you can explore things mentioned above.

Perhaps $36 is a lot for something simple, but I do not think 36 USD is a lot of money in the photo space (less than half the price of a lens plate or camera plate per ecosystem for other view cameras system, the price of a lens cap or a camera battery). Perhaps the device is not ideal, but it serves a purpose. This is the first go to check it out - the design can refine over time - materials, sizes, bellows types etc.

I am seeking feedback - I want to start a discussion to find what people think.
Would you buy this?

If you or someone wanted to get into tilt-shift or macro photography - is this a good way to start (especially versus other 36 dollar options)?

Do you wish you had this when you were.....................

What do you think about it?

Thank you,

Irwin   
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 06:04:07 pm by IrwinL »

smahn

Looks clever. But without a view camera standard, what holds the lens in place?

IrwinL

"Looks clever. But without a view camera standard, what holds the lens in place?"

Thank you for the "clever".

What holds the lens in place is a lens collar.  That lens collar could be mounted on a parametric head for smooth movements or mounted somehow else (handheld).  A lens collar mount is more stable than a typical view camera standard which cantilevers the lens.

cullings

I would like more info on the "bellows" kickstart program.
Please send a Web page address or email address where I could get more info.  - John Cullings

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography

Not sure I would want something like this. A more affordable mini view camera that would work with most mirrorless cameras would be interesting. There is the Cambo version out now for around $2600. If one could be made a lot cheaper than it is probably something I would be interested in, like say the $500-800 mark, but this is just me. I understand the complications and that range is probably unrealistic unless done with cheap plastic etc. For me I can see some need for something like this but I would not use it much, just my $0.02 worth of opinion. I would be less inclined with the neoprene bag etc.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Phil Indeblanc

I think he is just making and offering the neoprene bag, not the camera or other parts. 
Its a cool gadget to have in the bag if you want to test around with bellows like effects.

I think its a great simple idea to have the lens light leak solved with draw strings. May need some internal collar, but I think its great.

If it got popular, you can make aluminum mount specific rings to have the bellows seal up to the camera and lens more securely. I would add a tripod thread on the front lens ring.

What can these be priced at?....$20~ online to maybe $50 in stores?)

I would suggest a different hand model on that lower right pic :-)

Love seeing new ideas like this.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...
Pages: [1]   Go Up