Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D820 (more convincing rumor)  (Read 37355 times)

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
Nikon D820 (more convincing rumor)
« on: May 05, 2017, 05:26:17 am »

This latest rumor of the replacement for the Nikon D810 looks pretty reasonable to me.

https://nikonrumors.com/2017/05/04/new-set-of-rumored-nikon-d820-camera-specifications.aspx/

Not all of what I want, but probably at least a baby-step forward.
Modify message
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Re: Nikon D820 (more convincing rumor)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 05:32:00 am »

Sounds pretty standard and underwhelming....

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 08:40:59 am »

I'm hoping for a Df2 - mirrorless, about the size of a Fujifilm XT2. If Nikon could build in an aperture control around the lens mount (for G lenses) instead of a control wheel, that would be nice.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 08:48:08 am »

The sensor upgrade makes sense, to compete against the 50mp from Canon, and 42mp from Sony.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 09:29:42 am »

If it has the D5 AF and AWb this is a no brainer. The mirrorless craze and the terribly effective web gerrilla led by other brands has resulted in these progresses being sadly overlooked by many, but the AF of the D5 is pure magic. Combined with lenses such as the 105mm f1.4 or the 70-200 f2.8 this will make it hard to pick up the H6D...

I hope it will have as much base ISO DR as the D810.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 07:14:49 pm by BernardLanguillier »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 09:34:49 am »

+1
At the same time  with all these 50MP camera's it could be the best deal.
As Bernard pointed out concerning the AF and if the image quality exceeds the already very very good D810 at 64 ISO.

Personally i am more than happy with the d810 and it would really be a lot better in some ways to make me buy it.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

BJL

Re: rumored Nikon D820: is there room for more radical improvements?
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 04:28:01 pm »

I agree that it is an incremental update, but any new Nikon D8XX is going to be in the rather mature category of "high resolution 36x24mm format DSLR" so I am not sure that there is room to be much more "whelming", within the bounds of current technology.  Some might vote for "many more and smaller pixels" or "8K video", and I wouldn't mind an accessory tilt-able EVF, but what are the wish lists within this category? (I rule out "true global shutter", because clearly that technology still involves a significant sacrifice in dynamic range through lower full well capacity, and so is not yet suitable for high quality still photography.)

By the way: does the rumored 45–46MP pixel count indicate that this will not use a Sony sensor?  It would seem strange for Sony to produce a sensor of just slightly higher pixel count than the 42MP one in several of its own recent cameras.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 04:54:56 pm »

Want it said that it was the first time Tipp ? So my guess as would be it's complete BS and has no real value at all.

In the end we can only wait and see.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 05:45:00 pm »

The only thing that would called anything but evolutionary is a move to mirrorless, right?

This is becoming totally un-related to photography, isn't it?

I mean, amazingly accurate and fast AF, potentially the best image quality, amazing AWB in mixed lighting,... with the wonderful 105mm f1.4 at f1.4 (this being the key point). If these traits are confirmed (and how could they not be there realistically?), I say have fun with "your" mirrorless, I'll focus on creating beautiful images with my old DSLR. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 02:13:59 am »

By the way: does the rumored 45–46MP pixel count indicate that this will not use a Sony sensor?  It would seem strange for Sony to produce a sensor of just slightly higher pixel count than the 42MP one in several of its own recent cameras.

Sony is already manufacturing the 20MPx full frame sensor of the D5 that no other manufacturer is using (the same goes for the d500 Dx sensor). So, looks like if Nikon is willing to pay for it, Sony will make it.

A bit more of MPx and even better DR will make this camera a great seller between landscape photographers like the D810...

Michael Erlewine

• MacroStop.com
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 04:57:50 am »

The move from the Nikon D800E to the D810 did not make a big splash in the camera world (at least not right away), but those of us who work daily with the D810 heralded it as a major step forward for our work, in particular the ISO 64 and a LiveView that was actually usable. I stopped using the OVF completely. Now, here comes the D820 (or whatever name), again with perhaps minor incremental improvements that may, again, in actual use add up to a significant improvement in the overall system. Plus, we can use our arsenal of old lenses!
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com. Founder MacroStop.com, MichaelErlewine.com, YouTube.com/user/merlewine

BJL

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 08:49:11 pm »

Sony is already manufacturing the 20MPx full frame sensor of the D5 that no other manufacturer is using (the same goes for the d500 Dx sensor). So, looks like if Nikon is willing to pay for it, Sony will make it.
True, but with the D5 and D500, Nikon went for a lower pixel count as a trade-off to better serve a high frame rate, high ISO speed niche that Sony was not pursuing. I find it harder to imagine what would motiviate this just slightly higher pixel count.

But as Christopher suggested, even with a couple of sources claimed, this is not a very solid rumor, so I should not read too much into it.

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 04:11:38 am »

The only thing that would called anything but evolutionary is a move to mirrorless, right?

This is becoming totally un-related to photography, isn't it?

I mean, amazingly accurate and fast AF, potentially the best image quality, amazing AWB in mixed lighting,... with the wonderful 105mm f1.4 at f1.4 (this being the key point). If these traits are confirmed (and how could they not be there realistically?), I say have fun with "your" mirrorless, I'll focus on creating beautiful images with my old DSLR. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

A bit too defensive no? Amazing fast and accurate AF is no longer the sole domain of DSLRs (e.g. recent Sony A9, even the older Sony A6500). I think you should also be able to create beautiful images with a Sony ILCE:)

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 07:19:13 am »

A bit too defensive no? Amazing fast and accurate AF is no longer the sole domain of DSLRs (e.g. recent Sony A9, even the older Sony A6500). I think you should also be able to create beautiful images with a Sony ILCE:)

This was all tongue in cheek, I don't really care. I'll buy a a9 if it performs per my expectations, helps me take nicer images and better than what I have today.

Cheers,
Bernard

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 04:36:02 pm »

A bit too defensive no? Amazing fast and accurate AF is no longer the sole domain of DSLRs (e.g. recent Sony A9, even the older Sony A6500).

Well... it is. Reality vs marketing. I still use a D700 and this "2007/2008 AF system" is still more snapy than any mirrorless I know of.

Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

BJL

I still use a D700 and this "2007/2008 AF system" is still more snapy than any mirrorless I know of.
Which mirrorless have you experienced for AF?

It seems agreed that EVF cameras using only contrast detect AF are well behind SLRs for AF speed, in particular when tracking moving subjects and such, but some of the new on-sensor PDAF/hybrid systems from Canon, Olympus and Sony have got impressive reviews for C-AF and such.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2017, 06:54:17 pm »

I used the XT2 and the A7r2. Yes, the A7r2 can catch the eye (...) but damn, nowhere near what can achieve the old D300s, the old D700 and even less D4/D500/D5 (canon is in the same league as Nikon, AF wise now). Probably why Canon or Nikon don't even argue or try to fight at a "marketing" level on the superiority of the DSLR AF system.

In the other hand, Mirrorless brands ALWAYS push on the "superiority" of their AF >> marketing. Some pros are seduced, rent or buy to try it out and often marketing is followed by deception. Then your bank account can be lubricated by brands to tell how much better the XT2 AF is, compared to the D4s, and I do not even talk about Sony. Level 125 master degree in lubrication.

By the end of the day, real people living from photography all day long since years, who invested in serious brands with serious pro service behind since decade, are considered like marginal people (on forums) because they are in the reality of the job. Yes, the CAM AF module in the D300s/D3/D700, old stuff, is even today more efficient than 90% of the mirrorless marketing landscape.

The AF system we can find in the D4/s/D750/D500/D5 ... is completely overkill considering most photographer's needs. It is just phenomenal.

One should prove me that 400 AF point are better than 51 even in action and at a moderate price. Equivalent ? Ok. Superior ??? this will vastly depend on the photographer.

Since forums (all) have been raped by zealous lubricated marketer accounts, it is now impossible to be serious or to speak about anything on internet.

Reality vs marketing.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 07:04:26 pm »

The move from the Nikon D800E to the D810 did not make a big splash in the camera world (at least not right away), but those of us who work daily with the D810 heralded it as a major step forward for our work, in particular the ISO 64 and a LiveView that was actually usable. I stopped using the OVF completely. Now, here comes the D820 (or whatever name), again with perhaps minor incremental improvements that may, again, in actual use add up to a significant improvement in the overall system. Plus, we can use our arsenal of old lenses!

I agree with you 100%.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 07:31:51 pm »

Simple example of Old AF system in AF-C mode. There is trees and branches between the girl and me, a lot. The D700 AF-C (with the 180 f2,8) kept track numerous times. Simply put, I never ever blamed the Multi-CAM 3500FX module and even less the recents Nikon AF modules. Never. And you know what ? They can't be blamed. If one blame this AF system he should look at his own skills first, not the material.

Maybe the Sony A9 is equivalent to the old D700 in focusing, or maybe not. Nikon simply didn't released EVF "pro" cameras because reality is different than forums (and if you start to trust forums..  Nikon is DYINNNNGGG !!!). The tech isn't perfectly efficient yet (and many don't like EVF... plain and simple). For Sony it seems to be efficient but at 5000 USD...

So the good EVF probably exist but the price for DSLR performance might be too high yet.

The so called EVF performances are vastly fabled and hyped over sales blogs and amazon platforms... and, as I said, all forums are now polluted by large amount of nonsenses.

That said, the upcoming D something will be a good camera, as usual. Not a hyped camera (they already tested with the Df).
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 07:48:20 pm by Hulyss »

Paulo Bizarro

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 04:09:03 am »

Well... it is. Reality vs marketing. I still use a D700 and this "2007/2008 AF system" is still more snapy than any mirrorless I know of.

Well, it isn't. Reality vs. lack of trying. You need to try the cameras I mentioned.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up