Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Puget Systems computer . . .  (Read 2532 times)

Rand47

New Puget Systems computer . . .
« on: May 04, 2017, 12:26:09 am »

I just had Puget Systems build a Lightroom/Photoshop workstation machine for me.  It is based on their "Serenity" medium size box.  It's a pretty robust build (i7 7700k, 64 gigs RAM, 2 SSD, one platter for data, Quadro card, etc.), but what astounds me is that it is absolutely silent!  The machine I replaced has "normal noise level" for a workstation, and the difference is dumbfounding.  I literally have to watch the power LED strip go out to know it has shut down.

I have no association with Puget Systems other than perusing their web site for the past few years, drooling.  I can say that the whole purchase process was a delight.  Everyone I interfaced with was helpful, professional, and knows his/her stuff.

Rand

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 10:09:19 am by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

kentphelan

Re: New Puget Systems computer . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 01:43:02 pm »

Good to hear.  Puget Systems is on my radar as a possible replacement to my Mac based system.  I have a 2013 MBPr setup, with NEC PA271W monitor, coupled with an OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock.  Everything else in my world is connected to the dock.  Since relocating and turning pro last year I have been shooting a lot more.  My MBP is struggling to keep up (and it is already maxxed out).  I am put off by the new MacBook Pros, and the rumored iMac Pro is just that... a rumor, and who knows what it'll cost or how many internal features will be soldered in.  Not fond of Apple's current direction.

As a longtime Win user at work, I do not relish the thought of an Adobe CC environment on Windows.  I've done it before but it was a while ago (pre Lightroom)  But if it works better, and is cheaper and easy to replace down the line, well, I think I should at least investigate Win desktop solutions.  Puget Systems caught my attention because they appear to have done their homework and offer specific machines for specific environments.  And to boot, for me, they are local (I'm in the Seattle area).

I have no idea what Windows 10(x) is like to use.  My last Winbox at work was a Dell Mobile Workstation running Win 7 Ultimate.  I fear switching LR platforms will be daunting, but hand holding from Puget Systems might make it doable.

Thanks for posting and please report back with any updates.

--Kent

JimGoshorn

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 02:14:06 pm »

I went from Mac to PC and had Puget build it. Vey happy with their service and the PC. Genesis 1 case, Xeon 6 core 3.60, 65 Gb RAM, 2 SSD's, 8 Tb HD and a nVidia 1070 running Win 10 Pro, added an extra fan and it is whisper quiet.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:17:35 pm by JimGoshorn »

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 03:57:12 pm »

The Fractal Design Define R5 is indeed a nice case.  If you build a PC yourself it's possible to pick one up for $90 or so, making it relatively good value too. I've certainly enjoyed using it in my system -- so much quieter than a regular desktop. A laptop sounds like a raucous animal in comparison! I added an extra fan at the front.
Pages: [1]   Go Up