Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Blue Ring Schneider LS lenses are re-designed from old non-blue ones?  (Read 3054 times)

narikin

I think I read that a few of the blue ring lenses are actually optically redesigned, rather than simply updated interface, compared to black ones.

Anyone know which lenses these are?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

New

35LS
150 F2.8
45mm LS
120mm Macro I think is all new

Reworked from nonBL

40-80
75-150
150 F3.5
80mm
240mm
55mm
110mm

This is a start I believe I missed a few

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

narikin

Thanks Paul.

So the 110mm is optically exactly the same as before?  Big price difference to buy the black version!

thanks.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

Yes I believe the 110 is just a rework but I would need a dealer to be sure. The 110 is a lens I have never used.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto

This is on the Digital Transitions website -

Until today the most recent two lenses released in this collabration are the Schneider 35LS and Schneider 120LS which had an interesting design change from the previous Schneider LS lenses – a prominent Blue Ring. These new “Blue Ring” lenses had several improvements from previous lenses.

Serialized: Every lens is now electronically identifiable. Some customers like rental houses that have several Phase One bodies and several copies of a given Phase One lens (e.g. five copies of the Schneider “Blue Ring” 120LS). The Phase One XF can identify and calibrate focus for each specific Blue Ring lens. The serial number will also be embedded in the metadata, making it easier to track down which specific lens was used in a given photo shoot.
    Tolerances: Both the physical design of the lens (how it holds the optical elements in place) and the manufacturing process in place during manufacturing have been improved. This means tighter quality control and better optical results.
    Feel: The “Blue Ring” lenses now match the polished and professional look and feel of the XF Camera System. The metal focusing ring and AF/MF selector ring is made from precision milled aluminum and the lens hood is a solid metal design with a subtle and practical rubber lip.
    Warranty: Like all Schneider LS lenses, the new “Blue Ring” lenses feature a five year warranty when purchased in a kit with a Phase One IQ3 digital back. This warranty includes a loaner lens provided during any repairs or service of the lens. Combined with the tightened quality control and more robust industrial design this warranty provides great assurance that purchasing these “Blue Ring” lenses is a long term investment.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

So the 110mm is optically exactly the same as before?  Big price difference to buy the black version!

The 110LS BR uses the same optical design as the 110LS non-BR; this was a very strong lens in the non BR days and continues to be very strong. The improved physical chassis and tighter manufacturing tolerances are both present and welcome, but have small impacts.

The LS non-BR lenses are definitely worth considering for those that don't want or need the improvements CGarnerHome listed. We have several refurbished LS non Blue ring lenses in inventory with full warranty.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

Unless updated, the 5 year warranty for the lens only applied for new backs not upgrades. Which eliminated probably 60 to 70 percent of purchase.

P1 may have changed this policy. If not they should.

Also the BL versions are a bit heavier than the non BL rings.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

algrove

I use the 110 BR LS lens extensively and find it an extremely sharp lens. I like that there are so many lenses using the same 72mm filter size-55, 80, 110, 150/3.5. Know nothing about the 45, but if it uses a 72mm filter, then it could be a possible stitching lens for WA needs. I have the 35 and it is an incredible lens.

stonebird

• Travel and Wild Photographer

80mm is re-designed too.
Alpa MAX • WA • STC • TC | Arca RM3DI | HR23 HR32 HR50 | SK120AA SK210 | IQ250 • P45+ | Travel and Wild Photographer
Pages: [1]   Go Up