I just want to add one small point because it's too easy to skip past it. Whenever we talk of governments spending money, we usually think of it as a cost that taxpayers have to bear, but for some reason we never calculate the benefit. This is very odd, no business runs that way. Think of the US interstate system. Was that a cost or an investment? In how many ways has the US benefitted from that infrastructure investment? Can anyone in the US imagine modern life without it?
A similar argument can be made for health care reform. People only worry about how much it costs. But what is the benefit to society of having lots of healthier people living and working longer? Think of the multi-generational cost of having a father get sick and not be able to afford health care, what it does to the education of his kids, etc. Why don't we ever calculate the value of that? Corporations do EXACTLY that when they cost out internal fitness and health programs. If business does it, doesn't that mean that it's good? (Relax, I'm teasing.)
So, say we decide it's too costly to worry about climate warming. Okay, but what is the cost of Miami being submerged?
I watched an interesting documentary about the long-term planning going on in Holland with respect to sea levels rising. There are planning committees all over the place thinking about it, down to the neighbourhood level of deciding which homes will survive and which will be sacrificed. I am sure it's not an easy discussion, but not having it will be worse and cost more. My point being, if we think something is important, we can do it.
I remember the whining from automotive gear heads (I used to be involved in car rallying) about pollution equipment and the cost of cleaning the air and the loss of horsepower, etc, etc, etc. Have we ever had better cars than now? The worry all turned out to be nonsense. Occasionally I am stuck in traffic behind a 60s muscle car that is on the way to a cruise. The exhaust stinks so bad, I usually back off to avoid inhaling it. We used to think it was normal. Just because we're used to something working a certain way does not mean that it's the best way to do things. How many times do we need to relearn this lesson.