Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson P800 - Paper not Centering  (Read 11237 times)

pearlstreet

Re: Epson P800 - Paper not Centering
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2017, 03:17:40 pm »

Now the printer is not printing the top 1/4 of the image -image size 12x18. It prints a smaller size perfectly. I had this problem the other day and called Epson and they told me to uncheck optimize enlargement which I did and that worked. But now I don't have it checked and it did it again. I've reinstalled the epson driver but this is driving me nuts.

pearlstreet

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2017, 03:49:45 pm »

Found this info but no idea where library/caches is.

Anyway, what worked and hopefully will help someone else:

* Delete com.Epson folder from ~/Library/Caches
* Delete printer from Printers & Scanners in Systems Preferences
* Re-Add printer in Printers & Scanners. I used Epson IP and Epson P800 driver (not AirPrint, although testing with AirPrint during debugging showed the same issues as the Epson driver).

pearlstreet

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2017, 04:49:07 pm »

I reinstalled my printer driver, updated the firmware and reinstalled photoshop and lightroom and got a good print. Hopefully it will stick. I'm restarting everything in-between prints in case it is a cache issue. I also unchecked paper size check in the menu on the printer itself.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 05:14:57 pm »

You've been dragged under the bus on this one, so hopefully all that uninstall/reinstall activity resolved it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

pearlstreet

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 05:47:56 pm »

So far so good, Mark. Three more prints to go. Thanks for your support. :-)

Rand47

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2017, 10:34:08 am »

I also unchecked paper size check in the menu on the printer itself.

Now I'm mad at myself for not suggesting this when I first read this thread!  Because one paper type was OK and another not, I figured this couldn't be the problem. 

My P800 drove me stark raving nuts until I finally found and unchecked this "on the printer," which allows the driver to control it "alone."

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

pearlstreet

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2017, 11:05:09 am »

Now I'm mad at myself for not suggesting this when I first read this thread!  Because one paper type was OK and another not, I figured this couldn't be the problem. 

My P800 drove me stark raving nuts until I finally found and unchecked this "on the printer," which allows the driver to control it "alone."

Rand

Thanks for the confirmation, Rand. Printing is always a bit of a mystery to me. :-)

Garnick

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2017, 02:39:08 pm »

Rand

Hmmm - this is interesting. Yesterday morning I had started a reply to this thread that suggested Sharon should take a peek at that setting(Paper Size Check) and make sure it was turned on/checked.  However, after reading a number of her posts it seemed that occasionally she would be able to get a good print, no skewing.  Also the fact that it seemed to be relegated to one specific paper type.   For me that sort of eliminated the PSC setting, since it is not capable of being turned on or off unless done intentionally by the operator.  The PSC is very important for printing in a number of ways.  One of the most often mentioned issues happens when the PSC has been turned off for some reason and then not turned on again before printing on roll paper.  When that happens the printer will spit out 12-15" off paper before it starts printing, therefore apparently wasting that amount of paper.  If that happens in my workflow I flatten that paper and cut 8.5x11" sheets for testing, so very little actual wastage.  I then make sure I turn PSC on again before the next print.  I would still tend to rule out the PSC setting for Sharon's issue, since she did three different "fixes" before trying to print again.  In that case it's almost impossible to determine which "fix" actually worked.

Sharon - I'm very glad you are finally back to the point of printing on this paper issue free.  I also agree with Mark Segal that you have definitely been "dragged under the bus" with his issue.  However, if you feel up to it after all of this, and if you are curious at all, I would suggest that you turn PSC back on again and see if the issue returns, since I assume you have left that setting turned off.  If indeed the issue is no longer there when you have PSC on, that would of course imply that the re-installs you did are what actually fixed the problem.  Just a suggestion obviously, one that you may not want to try now, and I'm sure we would all understand that decision.  :)

Gary       

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 02:42:37 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

pearlstreet

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2017, 02:46:34 pm »

Hi Gary, I would be glad to test it once this is over! I'm leaving on Thursday so I have to finish this order before I leave. I'll report back here with the results but I won't be able to test it till next month.

Thanks for your response!

Sharon

Garnick

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2017, 06:10:09 pm »

Hi Gary, I would be glad to test it once this is over! I'm leaving on Thursday so I have to finish this order before I leave. I'll report back here with the results but I won't be able to test it till next month.

Thanks for your response!

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

:) I understand completely, why tempt fate?  My "request" was born out of curiosity on my part, but if you do choose to run this "test" eventually please let us know the result.  One positive aspect is that if you do run into a problem again you can always turn PSC off and be back where you started.  I very much suspect it was one of the segments you re-installed that did the trick, but of course there's also the fact that it seemed to affect only that one paper type.  Still somewhat of a conundrum wrapped in an enigma me thinks  :-\

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Rand47

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2017, 08:34:53 pm »

For me, having the PSC on was much like "double profiling" in color management.  The printer was fighting the driver & Lightroom (in my case) settings re size and placement of the image on paper.  Once turned off I had zero further problems.  Since I print exclusively out of Lightroom, making and storing print templates greatly simplifies my workflow and minimizes operator mistakes in settings re size, default margins, print centering, proper media type and concomitant ICC profile, etc. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

FrankG

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2019, 04:58:41 pm »

@Mark D Segal. Why set up a custom 13x19 if you can select 13x19 from the paper size choices?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2019, 05:06:13 pm »

@Mark D Segal. Why set up a custom 13x19 if you can select 13x19 from the paper size choices?

It's to lock-in correct margins so everything is centered the way the OP wants it.

FrankG

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2019, 05:19:26 pm »

Thank you.
I understand that the objective was to print a 12x18 image on 13x19 sheet with equal margins all around (.5).
I don’t understand why selecting a 13x19 shhet size with Center checked would not provide the same result?

Excuse my ignorance, but I’m trying to learn about margins and non printable area and how to Center smaller images on larger sheets. If the image and paper aspect ratios are the same, then equal margins all round. If the ratios differ then equal top/bottom and equal left/right.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2019, 05:37:47 pm »

Thank you.
I understand that the objective was to print a 12x18 image on 13x19 sheet with equal margins all around (.5).
I don’t understand why selecting a 13x19 shhet size with Center checked would not provide the same result?

It principle it should, but when it doesn't work as intended, the alternative that does work is a custom preset.

FrankG

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2019, 05:55:11 pm »

Good to know.
Also, if the Center box is Un-checked them setting the margins becomes available.
Would this be the equivalent?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2019, 11:01:29 pm »

Good to know.
Also, if the Center box is Un-checked them setting the margins becomes available.
Would this be the equivalent?

Different things happen in different places. In Photoshop's Print Module, if you uncheck Centered, the positioning opens up. If you check Centered it doesn't, because you've just selected the positioning. In the Epson driver new Preset, you can set the paper size to the default size you want there, and all 4 borders to None. So if you check Centered in the Photoshop Print Module and Borders to None in the Epson driver Preset, the print should come out centered. In Lightroom's Print Module, you use Page Set-Up to set the paper size and orientation (Portrait or Landscape). You use Print Settings to access the Epson Driver and make or select your printer preset, same as for Photoshop and you Save them. Then in the Print module itself you select the Cell Size and the Margins in the right panels. If you set all 4 margins to be the same size, the Cell should be centered on the sheet.

FrankG

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2019, 09:29:15 am »

Thanks.
I don't use Lr so only the first portion is relevant to me right now (Ps & Br) -

"...In Photoshop's Print Module, if you uncheck Centered, the positioning opens up. If you check Centered it doesn't, because you've just selected the positioning. In the Epson driver new Preset, you can set the paper size to the default size you want there, and all 4 borders to None. So if you check Centered in the Photoshop Print Module and Borders to None in the Epson driver Preset, the print should come out centered."

Q: Is selecting a preset paper size (e.g. 8.5x11) with margins set to zero vs a standard paper size (e.g Letter) preferable because then there are no margins or non printable areas (what are the little zebra stripes?) forced on you as they are in the former, and it can truly centre the image relative to the paper edges ?

As an aside you can even tweak a side to compensate for minor paper shift in the printing process.
Also, would selecting a standard paper size but with the Borderless Auto Expand option not offer a similar use of the full sheet to centre the image to the edges ? Hovering over these options show that the paper is still the same size vs expanding it with the Borderless>Retain Size option.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2019, 09:34:21 am »

I just mentioned what I found works in my Epson SC-P5000. I recommend you experiment using your printer with these several different settings options you mention and observe what happens. Only a bit of time and a few sheets of paper.

FrankG

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2019, 11:15:44 am »

OK thanks. Will do.
Let me just ask this - when you use your paper size presets and you preview the image, do you see the 'zebra stripes' at all ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up