Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Color Printer Utility – New Problem ? (Mac OS El Capitan 10.11.6)  (Read 22997 times)

Simon J.A. Simpson

Simon, there are more than one setting in PS that determine the "policies" PS is using when opening existing files or creating new ones, so much so, that we'd all get hopelessly confused trying to list all the options.

I am confused.  Where are all these other options other than in the Color Settings dialogue ?

I find that the best way to gather a little piece of mind is to go to the dialogue box at the very lower bottom of the image window and set it to always show the document profile.

I have this set as default.  Have for a very long time.

The null transform trick does, however, as Doug correctly pointed out, tell PS to leave the image alone and perform no further conversion. I guess it is fair to say a specific part of the PS color managed environment does get "turned off"  when source and destination space both have been assigned the same profile…

This is interesting, as it was well documented some years back that the null transform method stopped working on the Mac after a update to the OS or PS (not sure which now).  I confirmed this for myself and so stopped using it, substituting ACPU to print targets instead.  Doug and you seem to be saying this is working again.  Can one, or both of you, confirm whether this has been tested on a Mac ?  And, if so, which version of OS and Photoshop it you have confirmed this with ?  Thank you.

Doug Gray

This is interesting, as it was well documented some years back that the null transform method stopped working on the Mac after a update to the OS or PS (not sure which now).  I confirmed this for myself and so stopped using it, substituting ACPU to print targets instead.  Doug and you seem to be saying this is working again.  Can one, or both of you, confirm whether this has been tested on a Mac ?  And, if so, which version of OS and Photoshop it you have confirmed this with ?  Thank you.

This was my understanding as well. But, as I stated earlier in the thread, I'm a Windows Photoshop user. After Adobe removed the no color management option I have made a point of checking the null-transform on subsequent updates from Adobe and Microsoft and so far it works flawlessly.

What exactly happened that caused Adobe to do this I don't know. I suspect some sort of metadata in the printer data path that was interfering with the null-transform. What goes on in Mac OS's data path is quite opaque. Not that Windows isn't opaque too but it hasn't had these peculiar, unasked for, transforms. At least as of today.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com

What exactly happened that caused Adobe to do this I don't know.

It was Apple that forced the issue...it was Adobe who basically figured out the null transform work-around but that didn't fit into Apple's ecosystem view so Adobe undid the work-around :~(

Simon J.A. Simpson

Thanks for clarifying that Jeff.

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS

This is interesting, as it was well documented some years back that the null transform method stopped working on the Mac after a update to the OS or PS (not sure which now).
As far as I am aware, programmatically the null transform "trick" is the only method available for displaying non-color managed color on secondary displays with OS X >= 10.6, while it doesn't work on OS X < 10.6 where using an explicit Device Color call is sufficient.

[ As a programmer, this seems like a straight up bug on Apples part. ]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up