Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how useful is Olympus warranty for lenses  (Read 4141 times)

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
how useful is Olympus warranty for lenses
« on: April 17, 2017, 04:56:14 pm »

How useful is an Olympus factory warranty for Olympus PRO line of lenses?

I need to replace my Olympus M.Zuiko ED 12-40mm f2.8 PRO lens, which was damaged when my camera bag strap came undone and the bag dropped onto a stairway. I had an extended warranty from Olympus, but it did me no good because it doesn’t cover physical damage.

Online prices for lenses without warranties are cheaper. For example, 42nd St. offers $700 w/o Olympus warranty and $950 with. My lens performed flawlessly for 3-1/2 years and my inclination is not to pay for a factory warranty this time if the product has a good history of reliability. Has anyone ever needed an Olympus warranty to cover manufacturer’s defects in a PRO lens?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:35:24 pm by pcgpcg »

BradSmith

Re: how useful is Olympus warranty
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 02:40:58 pm »

yes, on an OM-1 camera body.  After a wheel stopped working, Olympus repaired it under warranty.  Returned to me 6 days after I put it into the mail.   

Your post left me with the impression that you think the warranty should cover damage that you caused, and since it doesn't, it isn't worth much.  Have you ever seen ANY warranty that would cover damage YOU caused?

Brad

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
Re: how useful is Olympus warranty
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 02:58:29 pm »

I should have been more explicit in my post, and stated that my inquiry is on the need for a factory warranty for the Olympus PRO line of lenses, not Olympus products in general. I've edited my original post to reflect that.

yes, on an OM-1 camera body.  After a wheel stopped working, Olympus repaired it under warranty.
Actually I had the exact same experience.

Your post left me with the impression that you think the warranty should cover damage that you caused, and since it doesn't, it isn't worth much.  Have you ever seen ANY warranty that would cover damage YOU caused?
I knew it wouldn't cover physical damage. That's why, when I bought the body and lens I also bought a 4 yr. warranty from a third party to cover accidental physical damage caused by me, and that warranty is replacing the camera body with a new one, but not the lens. I should have purchased two warranties. When I buy a new lens, I will definitely, once again, buy a warranty that covers accidental physical damage, but I am considering not paying for a factory warranty, which only covers manufacturing defects, since I have never heard of an Olymous PRO lens that failed due to a manufacturing defect. That's what I'm fishing for - has anyone had a PRO lens fail due to manufacturing defect?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:36:05 pm by pcgpcg »

TonyVentourisPhotography

• Unlocking Olympus
Re: how useful is Olympus warranty for lenses
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 09:06:23 pm »

I have never had a lens fail within a warranty period.  I've broken lenses on several occasions.  They warranty the lens based on their work for a period too.  I had a lens that failed related to a repair and they were great about correcting it very quickly at no cost.  I have their pro service plan too so I have discounted repairs.  Over the years I have seen all kinds of interesting failures on equipment.  On a lens that is $800 or more I prefer to have a warranty.  Just in case.  On their lenses like the 45 or 25mm that can be had for under 400 I am more comfortable with out.  Then again the base repair cost for a pro lens is pretty cheap and covers most repairs.  I've broken both the 12-40 and the 50-150 in several ways!  I don't think I ever paid more than 200 for a repair.
Tony
Unlockingolympus.com (ebooks & blog on getting the most from your OMD & Pen)
tonyventourisphotography.com (Commercial Photography)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: how useful is Olympus warranty for lenses
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 07:03:12 am »

If you drop the lens, or if the lens is damaged by something that is excluded by the warranty, then the warranty is not useful. You need to consider that carefully. Accidents happen; I once dropped a Canon 16-35 f2.8 L (back in 1998) onto a forest floor, the lens stopped zooming.

I got it repaired, but the warranty did not cover dropping accidents:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up