Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple working in a new Mac Pro and Pro Display... for 2018  (Read 3245 times)

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
Apple working in a new Mac Pro and Pro Display... for 2018
« on: April 04, 2017, 09:05:07 am »

Hi,

Looks like a lot of professionals complaining has make Apple do something unusual, disclose their future plans: https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnpaczkowski/apple-says-it-is-completely-rethinking-the-mac-pro?utm_term=.tmJBq7qn6K#.yf5DWbWy0J . In that interview, Phil Schiller and Craig Federighi recognized that the bold design of the actual Mac Pro put then in a bad position to upgrade it now. They are making a new redesign together with new Pro screen... it will be released by 2018.

Meanwhile, they are making discounts to the actual line.

Regards,

David

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
Re: Apple working in a new Mac Pro and Pro Display... for 2018
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 10:12:49 am »

TechCrunch has a more detailed piece about the interview with Apple representatives about this news around Mac and its future: https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/04/apple-pushes-the-reset-button-on-the-mac-pro/

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 01:22:29 pm »

Thanks for the link to what I had not seen. Good to see that Apple is working on the high-end products for the professionals. A new external display is interesting. Although I like very much the LG 5K display it is not pretty on my desk ;)

adias

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 05:32:26 pm »

Thanks for the link to what I had not seen. Good to see that Apple is working on the high-end products for the professionals. A new external display is interesting. Although I like very much the LG 5K display it is not pretty on my desk ;)

IMHO the LG 5k is the best display Apple ever sold. The black frame is ideal for photo editing too. :)

BJL

Apple working on a new Mac Pro, Pro Display, iMac Pro
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 07:19:40 pm »

A nice counterpoint to the April Fool's Day story!

My scoring is:
- Good: Apple has acknowledged the weaknesses of the "R2D2" Mac Pro design, and is committing to a fundamental redesign.
- Better: expanding the iMac line at the high end to an "iMac Pro", because that is the price/performance place I am in now.
- Best: would be if there were also a Mac Mini Pro line; the guts of the "iMac Pro" in a little desktop box. I could even turn it sideways to have easy access to the SD card slot and all those USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports.

P. S. A write-up by another of the group that Apple talked to, John Gruber: http://daringfireball.net/2017/04/the_mac_pro_lives
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:34:23 pm by BJL »

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 02:19:14 am »

For me this event was Apple trying to say to the Pro market that Apple is not forgetting you... More than saying that the design of the actual Mac Pro isn't upgradable...

I commented with the release of the latest MacBook Pro that the problem was not having to use a lot of dongles (Apple is always changing the connectors... We, Apple users, we should be used by now... And anyway... Usb-c will be the standard connector in two or three years for new devices)... It was the continuation of the sensation it created to Pro users that Apple forgot about them... There was the accumulation of several things... Looks like they needed to send a clear message this was not the case... Specially if the Mac Pro is not going to be updated until next year.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 06:11:05 am »

For me this event was Apple trying to say to the Pro market that Apple is not forgetting you... More than saying that the design of the actual Mac Pro isn't upgradable...

I commented with the release of the latest MacBook Pro that the problem was not having to use a lot of dongles (Apple is always changing the connectors... We, Apple users, we should be used by now... And anyway... Usb-c will be the standard connector in two or three years for new devices)... It was the continuation of the sensation it created to Pro users that Apple forgot about them... There was the accumulation of several things... Looks like they needed to send a clear message this was not the case... Specially if the Mac Pro is not going to be updated until next year.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

I do not agree that the MBP 2016 was a statement about forgetting the pro user. The lack of upgrades to the Mac Pro was and also that we did not get an Apple design external monitor. The MBP 2016 is good for pros where the performance is adequate, which (of course) it will not be for all. As a photographer using mostly 50MP files from the Canon 5DSR the speed when using the LG 5K display is fine for my purpose in the sense that I'm hardly ever waiting for the machine to respond. I can keep a fluid editing workflow with this machine. If I was editing 100MP files from the Phase One camera I might have a different opinion :)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 06:12:37 am »

IMHO the LG 5k is the best display Apple ever sold. The black frame is ideal for photo editing too. :)

Yes, the quality of the display is fantastic. It's the design of box around the display that is not elegant. Just look at the back of it and the stand. Since I don't have an alternative I can live with it, but it is not pretty ;)

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 06:48:56 am »

I do not agree that the MBP 2016 was a statement about forgetting the pro user. The lack of upgrades to the Mac Pro was and also that we did not get an Apple design external monitor. The MBP 2016 is good for pros where the performance is adequate, which (of course) it will not be for all. As a photographer using mostly 50MP files from the Canon 5DSR the speed when using the LG 5K display is fine for my purpose in the sense that I'm hardly ever waiting for the machine to respond. I can keep a fluid editing workflow with this machine. If I was editing 100MP files from the Phase One camera I might have a different opinion :)

Yes the machine it is ok for some Pros... but for me that was not exactly the issue. The issue was that you created an event called "Back to the Mac" (I think that was the titlle or something like that), you just release a laptop, with some handicaps for some Pro users (just 16GB of RAM, not the best option in mobile GPU, and nice price increase thanks to the touchbar...) and that it is... forget about the rest of the lines in the Mac: iMac, Mac Mini and Mac Pro (this two last with very long overdue updates). Then you are also in the last years dropping support on your Pro apps, like realesing Final Cut X that, if you read many video forums, make a lot of people to move from Final Cut 7 to other programs, dropping Aperture... etc... Pro people was worried... and what it is more problematic for Apple, nowadays there is little need to stay in that platform, unless you are using Final Cut X, Logic Pro or developing apps for iOS with XCode, the rest of programs that you are probably use (Adobe Cloud Suite, Lightroom, Capture One, ... ) have a version for Windows.

So, for me this event it is for all those Pros that maybe were thinking move to Windows... telling them, it is ok, we are not forgetting you.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2017, 06:50:50 am »

Yes the machine it is ok for some Pros... but for me that was not exactly the issue. The issue was that you created an event called "Back to the Mac" (I think that was the titlle or something like that), you just release a laptop, with some handicaps for some Pro users (just 16GB of RAM, not the best option in mobile GPU, and nice price increase thanks to the touchbar...) and that it is... forget about the rest of the lines in the Mac: iMac, Mac Mini and Mac Pro (this two last with very long overdue updates). Then you are also in the last years dropping support on your Pro apps, like realesing Final Cut X that, if you read many video forums, make a lot of people to move from Final Cut 7 to other programs, dropping Aperture... etc... Pro people was worried... and what it is more problematic for Apple, nowadays there is little need to stay in that platform, unless you are using Final Cut X, Logic Pro or developing apps for iOS with XCode, the rest of programs that you are probably use (Adobe Cloud Suite, Lightroom, Capture One, ... ) have a version for Windows.

So, for me this event it is for all those Pros that maybe were thinking move to Windows... telling them, it is ok, we are not forgetting you.

Just to make it clear I was only referring to the MBP and not the rest of the pro lineup. As mentioned I agree that there are some pros that will feel limited by the cpu power and memory limits, but most of them are likely not candidates for the MBP anyway. I think Apple did well with the MBP given the time they are making it ready for. The rest is another story and there I agree with you.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 09:44:10 am »

i just read some news that Apple may show up with some sort of iMac pro...
based on a 4 core xeon E3 ; Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1280 v6 8M Cache, 3.90 GHz
it is possible for it only uses 72 watt.
we will see...

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la
Pages: [1]   Go Up