Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a bit of advice on lens selection for landscapes  (Read 1177 times)

aboudd

• Aboud Dweck - A Body of Work
Need a bit of advice on lens selection for landscapes
« on: April 01, 2017, 09:14:02 am »

This summer I am heading to Iceland and Yorkshire UK. I am taking a Canon kit for the street and general shooting in Yorkshire, and I want to take my Leica S007 to Iceland for landscapes. I have four lenses for the Leica, the 30,35,70 and 120. I would like to cut the weight of my pack down and get the kit down to 2 lenses. I was thinking the 30 and 70 (roughly equivalent to a 24 and 55), leaving the more modest 35 wide and 120 at home. If you have any thoughts on this, I would appreciate them.
A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer in your pants.
www.dweckgallery.com

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Need a bit of advice on lens selection for landscapes
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 03:17:15 pm »

Four thoughts...
A. It really is impossible to recommend leaving behind any of those lenses as it is highly dependent on your personal vision and shooting style. Go back over the landscapes you've shot in the past; Lightroom has a great Find module for that. What are you using the most?

B. I've been twice to Iceland - June and March. I've shot compelling landscapes from 18mm to 400mm. The only recommendation I would make would be to take two of the Leica lenses in carry-on with the body, and the other two in checked luggage. If your checking it all then take all.

C. If you're shooting professionally, then I think you would want all four of the Leica lenses. If not, then leave one system behind as even the Canon would cover all your needs if it's fairly recent with a good range of focal lengths. If jt's not wide enough, you can always stitch.

D. Have a look at my Flickr Iceland 2017 and Iceland 2016 albums as it will tell you which focal lengths were used for each photo. Although they were shot with an RX10iii, a 35mm equivalent focal length is provided. I typically shoot wide (18-28mm), but many landscapes in Iceland are at longer focal lengths because of the open, clear vistas, long distances and beautiful receding mountains.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 03:24:55 pm by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

aboudd

• Aboud Dweck - A Body of Work
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 03:48:54 pm »

I was in Iceland a few years ago during the summer on a 12-day shoot.  Unfortunately I took a fall the first day early in the morning (stepped into a spot missing a paver) and wrecked the S2 I was carrying. I had to do the entire 10 days with my backup Pentax K3 and a couple of lenses. I could do this trip with the Canon and a few lenses, but I really want the look and feel of Leica glass with the MF sensor. I'm thinking I might just take the complete Leica kit in the roller case and carry a shoulder bag for field use. I'll take  some Canon gear for street work too.

By the way Terry, - LOVE your landscape shots. Congratulations on some fine work.

www.dweckgallery.com
A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer in your pants.
www.dweckgallery.com

MediumFormat

• Travel & Architecture
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2017, 03:10:37 am »

For Iceland trip I mainly used 180mm S next to 30-90 lens on the S007. For sure take a long focal lens.

https://www.faran.gallery/blog/2016/7/15/the-harsh-winter-of-iceland
Art Director / Fashion & Portrait Photographer based in California SF - LA / Exploring Landscape & Architecture around the world.
XF - IQ3-100 - Alpa MAX / TC - Leica S007
Pages: [1]   Go Up