Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transporting gear to shoots?  (Read 2493 times)

PeterNelson

Transporting gear to shoots?
« on: March 20, 2017, 01:56:41 am »

I have some questions about transporting gear to shoots.

The summary of the question is that that I find that if I'm going to an important or unlikely-to-be-repeated shooting opportunity and I want to bring the most professional, least compromised gear, and complete redundancy (bodies and lenses) incase of equipment failure, I can't even come close to the carry-on weight limits for airlines.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:40:44 am by Chris Sanderson »

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
Re: Transporting gear to shoots?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:47:37 am »

If you or your client do not want to pay overage charges, you may need to rent gear at the destination. I would also research shipping fees and compare to the airline charges. There may also be ways to circumvent those fees with airline memberships or a media pass(?) that I saw an article on another forum, fstoppers I believe.

BrownBear

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:22:24 am »

We always shipped the gear in hard cases to and from the client via Fedex, charging the freight both ways to the client.  Of course, we also bought stock in Fedex!  ;)

We also rented some gear, lighting equipment in particular.  Quite reasonably so in many cases- usually for less than the cost of two way shipping.

algrove

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 10:16:05 am »

I sure hope the TSA does not extend their new travel ban from those 13 countries where one can no longer take cameras and laptops in hand luggage. There is no way I will check my XF gear and laptop into the hold as I probably would never see them again. Sure I have insurance, but arriving at a destination without camera and laptop is nothing short of disaster.

Wonder if the lenses can be carried on while leaving the bodies/batteries in checked luggage. Putting anything in checked luggage now means hard luggage necessary instead of my nice golf bag. PITA.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 09:39:32 pm »

Note that so far if you fly on a USA airline this ruling does not apply.

To the OP: everything in your statement depends on the meaning of the words "most professional, least compromised". These terms don't have any sort of generally accepted definitions -- for some, it would be nothing short of a 100 megapixel medium format digital system costing six figures, and yeah, you're not getting a redundant full system in a carry-on bag, let alone the required tripod. For other photographers, the smaller "mirrorless" systems provide professional level results, and it's relatively easy to get a complete and redundant system into a small carry-on. (I've not yet had my camera bag with this kit weighed at the counter. If they insist on weighing it at check in, just pull out a camera and a lens and sling it over a shoulder to reduce the bag weight.)

Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up