Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AMD is finally competing again!  (Read 4339 times)

Erland

AMD is finally competing again!
« on: March 07, 2017, 11:15:52 am »

Hi!
Just wanted to share Lightroom performance with the new AMD processor against Intels cpu's.

Will be interesting to se how quick the UI is with these as well. But as an overall kit, this will be awesome I think!

//Marcus

Service Technician Digital Printers and Peripherals.
Epson Stylus Photo 1400.

Endeavour

Re: AMD is finally competing again!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 02:14:39 pm »

But as an overall kit, this will be awesome I think!

//Marcus

seriously? you're forming that opinion based on that chart?

1 swallow does not a summer make...

scyth

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 03:40:48 pm »

because of the perception formed (again, not the first time for AMD) based what was happening during the last few years they can actually compete on price only for quite some time... am I going to buy AMD based anything (desktop or notebook) ? no - unless they will be delivering in all kind of tests for several years in a row now... or I go bankrupt, for example... even then AMD based equipment has to be a lot cheaper

Erland

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 03:49:51 am »

Haha, I know Endeavour!

Well honestly I am not a big fan of AMD either, Scyth. But I think it is rather good that Intel gets some competition on the CPU market.
And comparing the CPU against intels in many workloads except games, it really does compete...

I probably won't buy an AMD computer, since I use Mac's only, but if Lightroom runs better on an AMD system in general (I know, to early to say) perhaps this discovery could help in making Adobe fix the slow UI problems in lightroom. This is only a wishful thinking, but since the old AMD CPU's are slow on everything in Lightroom I am hoping this new line's performance shown in exporting, also affects the UI.
Service Technician Digital Printers and Peripherals.
Epson Stylus Photo 1400.

Pictus

• Retouching

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
AMD is finally competing again!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 03:51:18 am »

Ars Technica https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/amd-ryzen-review/ and Anandtech http://www.anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700 put good reviews to the chip... it does not has the same performance as the top Intel... but it has half the price and consuming less energy...

Even if you don't plan to use it... maybe it gets intel chips cheaper...

http://dgpfotografia.com

Endeavour

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 11:21:47 am »

I agree competition is a good thing

are the motherboards cheaper and readily available too? There is more to switching your architecture than just buying a cheaper CPU

it's not something I'd jump to lightly

scyth

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 01:51:42 pm »

But I think it is rather good that Intel gets some competition on the CPU market.

if they get Intel prices cheaper good for us, but even less incentive to buy AMD computer then

And comparing the CPU against intels in many workloads except games, it really does compete...

it is like with raw converters.. a lot of converters do certain things better in many workflows than Adobe and some are even free... yet

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 02:02:43 pm »

are the motherboards cheaper and readily available too? There is more to switching your architecture than just buying a cheaper CPU

it's not something I'd jump to lightly

Usual suspects are releasing motherboards to it: ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte... From basic to full featured ones...

What you are not going to find is Thunderbolt 3 on then... For the rest of things... There will be there...

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

kamma1

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 03:03:34 pm »

My i7 7700K is 200 euros cheaper than that Ryzen chip, and there's really not much performance difference.  Perhaps there would be more with Photoshop, but still....

JonnieGS

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 02:24:40 am »

Processing performance is one thing, but these days, the whole Northbridge is built into the chip, including on-board video (if you're using it).  AMD are providing a bit of competition to keep Intel on their toes, however, Intel's main competition comes from the ARM Chip used in many mobile devices.  Isuspect that some of the slow UI performance in Lightroom might be something to do with coding as well as hardware.  As an aside, I sruck an SSD in my laptop recently, and there was a marked improvement in performance.

Reiep

• Pierre Pichot - Urban Photographer
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 11:07:04 am »

A bit late to the party, but it may help...

Ryzen vs Photoshop CC 2017: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CC-2017-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-1800X-Performance-907/
Ryzen vs Lightroom 2015.8: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Lightroom-CC-2015-8-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-1800X-Performance-910/

If Adobe finally makes really multithreading-friendly apps, Ryzen will be a killer CPU for Lr or Photoshop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up