Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon product support  (Read 9688 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Canon product support
« on: March 06, 2017, 06:31:13 am »

Anyone else notice that Canon (at least in the UK) have stopped supporting the 70-200 f2.8 IS zoom ?
They will no longer repair it or stock spares for it.

OK, it's been discontinued for a few years now, but it can still be brought brand new from Amazon. ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-70-200-2-8-USM-Lens/dp/B00005LESG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488799691&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+70mm-200mm+IS )

Pretty poor IMHO

BrownBear

Re: Canon product support
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 07:40:37 am »

Seems outa whack, but I gave up on Canon many years ago over other issues.

In contrast, Nikon has worked with me on repairs to several lenses that have been out of production for decades. They appear to have a stable of approved second party repair shops, to whom they'll refer your repair with your permission.  Recently had the aperture ring freeze on a first model 300 f/4 AF (pre-VR).  Hadn't made them for at least 20 years as I can recall, but Nikon shipped it on to another repair shop, who did the repairs quickly and quite reasonably.  You'd think Canon would provide the same kind of support for their long-time users.

vulture

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 02:08:56 pm »

Anyone else notice that Canon (at least in the UK) have stopped supporting the 70-200 f2.8 IS zoom ?
They will no longer repair it or stock spares for it.

OK, it's been discontinued for a few years now, but it can still be brought brand new from Amazon. ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-70-200-2-8-USM-Lens/dp/B00005LESG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488799691&sr=8-1&keywords=canon+70mm-200mm+IS )

Pretty poor IMHO

Not only the 70-200 f2.8 IS zoom - a whole list of products! Also the 400 f2.8 IS (first generation). They took it off the CPS service qualifying list. Canon is simply letting down their customers. Time to leave.

Rhossydd

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 03:09:52 pm »

- a whole list of products!
Indeed. I can accept they'll need to drop support for some older items eventually, but a product still being sold new ?

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 03:23:37 pm »

Where exactly is this written, please?
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Rhossydd

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 03:45:34 pm »

It's detailed in a CPS mailshot, but I'd heard it earlier from a friend who'd been refused a repair by Canon the week before.

vulture

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 01:55:40 am »

Members of CPS (Siler, Gold or Platinum) got a mail shot with the complete list.

viewfinder

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 03:45:12 am »

This is the same 'canon story' of scant respect for it's customers.    I dumped Canon (or more accurately, Canon dumped me!) in 1983 when my three F1 bodies and 9 FD lenses became instant junk according to Canon, just because they thought black plastic and AF were the only way to go.   Never bought another Canon product,...apart from a camcorder (Hi800) which failed as soon as it was out of warranty.......

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 04:14:49 am »

Not surprising, the lens is over 10 years old, was introduced in 2001. They are only obliged to support a product for 10 years. Happens all the time.

BrownBear

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 05:51:35 am »

Not surprising, the lens is over 10 years old, was introduced in 2001. They are only obliged to support a product for 10 years. Happens all the time.

So we're only talking 10 years of support for Canon products once they're out of production?  Another on the list of reasons to stay off their playground.  I'm still using (and yes I can still get them repaired) half a dozen Nikon lenses I bought in 1977.

Ghibby

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2017, 08:46:04 am »

The lens is not really commonly available new, its just ancient stock that been sitting in a shop / warehouse for the last 10 years, would you really want to get one? Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole unless it was a real bargain basement price. If so you could always buy one and use if for parts if it is so important to keep a copy running.

I thought it was just removed from the premium CPS service run by Canon, it will still surely be repairable by independant places.  You could try H Lehmann in the UK, I used them once before, good service and authorised by Canon but you may find they carry a good stock of parts for older lenses.

As far as discontinuation of a premier service for a 10 years out of production lens goes I don't have a problem with that, afterall the whole point of CPS is to keep working pro's going with a quick service, they have to cater to those invested to more recent products so have to draw the line somewhere. Every time I have used them the quality of work and service time is impressive and not even that expensive with many lenses carrying a fixed price repair regardless of problems found.  However if Canon as a company can't repair an older lens or at least look at it and advise what needs attention and work within the parts stock that must still be partially available it is a bit crappy, especially for L series lens.

It will be interesting to see how other still qualifying products last for CPS eligibility, I notice the old 5Dmk 2 is still there but the EOS 50D introduced at exactly the same time has been taken off on the list sent out yesterday, they must have sold a lot more 50D's than 5D2's and you would think availability of parts is related to final production numbers for a given model so how long will this old workhorse be supported?

Ben

prairiewing

• Pat Gerlach, Photographer
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 08:51:25 am »

Maybe I don't remember this correctly but wasn't the 400 2.8 IS their "current" model until about 2010?
Pat Gerlach
   Pat Gerlach, Photographer

hogloff

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 09:03:39 am »

Maybe I don't remember this correctly but wasn't the 400 2.8 IS their "current" model until about 2010?

Yes it is only after less than 7 years it is being put to rest. That is totally unacceptable, especially for a professional lens costing big bucks. Shame on you Canon.

NancyP

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 08:06:31 pm »

Does anyone know if there is really an issue with insufficient stock of parts?

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 01:30:24 am »

Does anyone know if there is really an issue with insufficient stock of parts?

They said this:

As a product reaches the end of its serviceable lifetime, Canon Europe can no longer guarantee that repairs will be possible due to the supply of spare parts.
Instagram (updated often)

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 05:41:30 am »

So we're only talking 10 years of support for Canon products once they're out of production?  Another on the list of reasons to stay off their playground.  I'm still using (and yes I can still get them repaired) half a dozen Nikon lenses I bought in 1977.

Can you get them officially repaired by Nikon? Of course manual lenses are easier to repair, many of them around, plenty of spare parts for some brands.

The question is, does Nikon follow the same procedure from Canon, of not ensuring the existence of spare parts and/or support for lenses older than 10 years?

As I said, this is nothing new, I have used Canon for 20 years, I was always aware of this potential problem. Also, they are transparent about it.

hogloff

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 09:13:39 am »

Can you get them officially repaired by Nikon? Of course manual lenses are easier to repair, many of them around, plenty of spare parts for some brands.

The question is, does Nikon follow the same procedure from Canon, of not ensuring the existence of spare parts and/or support for lenses older than 10 years?

As I said, this is nothing new, I have used Canon for 20 years, I was always aware of this potential problem. Also, they are transparent about it.

But some of the lenses are only 7 years old...that is an issue.

NancyP

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2017, 04:11:43 pm »

Those are the risks you take in having an electronic diaphragm without an option for direct mechanical control.
That being said, for some lenses it might be possible to find an "S.K.Grimes" type repair facility. (SK Grimes is the "if it is no longer made, we can mill it" service facility for obsolete large format shutters and lenses, among other things).

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2017, 04:14:13 pm »

End of Life for most equipment is 7 years after it was last produced. That does NOT mean you can't get an item serviced (meaning cleaned and checked, or CMS in Canon parlance). I have a 300/2.8L in with Canon CPS Repair right now. It's 27 years old! (I actually shocked myself when I double checked my database of equipment.) They will no longer repair it because of lack of parts, but can still clean and check it so it is operable -- as long as no parts are needed.

The 70-200/2.8L you may find on Amazon is an old stock item (even if it say new, which it may be), especially since that lens has not been produced in 7 or 8 years. Less reputable camera dealers will often try to unload these old items at close to the original sales price.

NancyP

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2017, 10:36:14 am »

All this being said, I haven't yet had an issue with a Canon lens, including used lenses, other than zoom creep on the EF-S 15-85, expected given the age (6 years). If the open-box Shorty Forty gives up the ghost, well, it's earned its $125.00 cost already.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up