Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Old stones in France  (Read 15611 times)

Rob C

Re: Old stones in France
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2017, 11:56:10 am »

Thank you. Yes it is, you still can climb it (although unadvisable when carrying a heavy camera) to access the towers.

They had people bringing in the groceries, and it didn't matter how hard it was.  ::)

But in the end it finished with tears, and the poor old Cathars were mostly all killed off by even more religious intollerance. You know: kill 'em all; God will know His own. And that but a few hundred years ago. Fast-forward to today.

It makes you wonder: the Christian religion is supposed to be about love, charity and forgiveness, yet all it usually brings when people become fanatics is war, hatred and death, even between tribes that have the same basic belief! You could not make it up. God must despair of what's done in His name.

Rob

Blue439

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2017, 07:37:43 pm »

But in the end it finished with tears, and the poor old Cathars were mostly all killed off by even more religious intollerance. You know: kill 'em all; God will know His own. And that but a few hundred years ago. Fast-forward to today.

It makes you wonder: the Christian religion is supposed to be about love, charity and forgiveness, yet all it usually brings when people become fanatics is war, hatred and death, even between tribes that have the same basic belief! You could not make it up. God must despair of what's done in His name.

Rob

Hi,

Peyrusse has had nothing to do with Cathars. You're probably mistaking it with Peyrepertuse, which looks and sounds a bit similar but is in a completely different region of France.

As far as gods are concerned, I don't believe in any of them. Religious beliefs are a strange thing, which inspired Man some of his most astonishing creations, and some of his most atrocious deeds. Personally, I steer well clear of any such beliefs.

Blue439

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2017, 02:28:21 am »

The ruins of the Des Cars Castle's keep in the Limousin region. The very tall chimney conduit that survived is a later addition, from early Renaissance.

francois

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2017, 10:22:40 am »

Impressive perspective!
Francois

Blue439

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2017, 09:01:22 am »

Thanks François.

This is a favorite landmark of mine: in a ripe field, a very small, very humble chapel from Year 1000... Some say it does play a key role in the quest for the Holy Grail... Who knows?

Blue439

« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2017, 05:33:52 am »

The menhir (standing stone) of Kerloas, the tallest still standing:

Blue439

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2017, 08:46:12 am »

Mediæval bridge over the Couze d'Ardes river in Auvergne, central France. This is where I spread part of my Mom's ashes, as this was the river where she played when she was very young.

Such seemingly “impossible” bridges are often referred to as “Devil's Bridges”. When you stand at one end, you cannot see the other end.

Blue439

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2017, 05:22:39 pm »

St Fiacre chapel in Concarneau, Brittany. I love the color of granite under a slanted light.

Blue439

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2017, 02:38:12 am »

The unusual ruins of the Allègre castle in Auvergne, central France:

Blue439

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2017, 02:41:01 am »

The ruined church of Quimerc’h in Brittany:

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2017, 03:47:30 am »

Looking at all of these pictures really makes me want to travel France again. Are you being paid by the France Tourism?
(Just a joke!)

Blue439

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2017, 04:13:44 am »

Ha ! ha! Thank you! No, I'm not, but that's an idea, now... Maybe I'll drop them an email...  ;)

Blue439

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2017, 05:37:24 am »

The haughty ruins of the Léotoing Mediæval fortress in Auvergne, central France:

Blue439

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2017, 03:24:39 pm »

La Prune ruined Mediæval castle :

Blue439

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2017, 04:21:44 am »

A very old (Mediæval) bridge over the Couze d’Ardes river in Auvergne, central France, now completely overgrown by grass, moss, and vegetation in general, although attempts have been made at clearing it a bit, so that at least its general shape remains visible:

francois

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2017, 05:23:10 am »

A very old (Mediæval) bridge over the Couze d’Ardes river in Auvergne, central France, now completely overgrown by grass, moss, and vegetation in general, although attempts have been made at clearing it a bit, so that at least its general shape remains visible:

Nice… Is this recent shot? If so then autumn seems to be well past its peak (for foliage)!
Francois

Blue439

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2017, 12:04:39 pm »

Nice… Is this recent shot? If so then autumn seems to be well past its peak (for foliage)!
Thanks, François. No, it is not a recent photo, it was taken last winter.

Now, this is the St Samson chapel on the northern coast of Brittany, with a huge granite cross that is very early Middle Ages:

francois

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2017, 07:55:09 am »

A wooden cross wouldn't last long on the coast of Brittany ;-)
Francois

Blue439

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2017, 03:46:38 am »

Well, François, you know, it would depend on the wood... There are large wood stakes in at least one place I know in Brittany that have been planted into the sea floor to be used as mooring poles for small fishing boats, and those stakes are covered by salt ocean water half the time, almost to the top, and they have been there since... the 6th century AD!

(Yes, you read correctly, the 6th century, not the 16th...)

;D

This is another one of the Kerloas Menhir, the tallest standing stone still standing. It is located not far from Brest in central Brittany. A much taller one was in the Morbihan (southern Brittany) but was struck down and broken in two by lightning.

Blue439

« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2017, 03:49:27 am »

Little chapel lost in the fields...

This is the last “Old stones” photograph that I will post to this site. I still have a few landscape ones that I will post until the end if this year, then I will leave, as my photos have obviously not “met their audience” (as they say) on LL.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up