Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cameras for kids?  (Read 5021 times)

RMW

cameras for kids?
« on: February 28, 2017, 09:55:10 pm »

I have two young granddaughters who like to use my p&s camera.They take pictures of everything. I'm thinking of getting them each their own digital camera. Something a bit challenging perhaps. And inexpensive. One is 10 years old and one is 8.
Any ideas or suggestions will be most appreciated.
Thanks for reading.
Richard

mbaginy

Re: cameras for kids?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 01:41:05 am »

Richard, I've struggled with the same issue for a Long time.  I was searching for a rugged camera for my neighbor's daughter.  All point & shoot camera I handled at my local dealer weren't ideal - mainly the battery cover was extremely flimsy and bound to break off quite easily.  Finally I bought her a rugged, water-proof Olympus point & shoot.  Can't recall which model, it's surely no longer being produced anyway.

But Olympus and Nikon still offer similar cameras.  Even Leica do.  I'd be afraid to buy any camera though, which I hadn't been able to inspect myself.

Fujifilm produce a number of Instax cameras but they print a Polaroid-style photo, which can quickly run into money.  It is fun though.  I use an Instax Printer for some Fujifilm images and that's great at parties.

degrub

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 10:49:05 am »

Is it exciting because they are doing it together or are they individually going around exploring with the camera by themselves ?

i started my 3 at about that age - cheap P&S with movie and sound capability. Less than 75 USD. Don't expect them to last and when they drop and break it is a life lesson in taking care of their things. Later when they were teenagers, i got them used Olympus E-PM2s with kit lens. Phones took over the role when they were in high school/college, but they still use the Olys.

RMW

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 11:49:15 am »

Hi Mike and "deGrub".
Thanks for the good recommendations.
Per Mike's suggestion, I think I'll go to a camera store, how nostalgic, and see and hold what they have.
"de Grub": the girls explore mostly on their own. The story of how you gave your daughter a camera at 3 years old is intriguing.My father gave me a camera at 7 years old and here I am 6 decades later still a shutter bug.
Richard

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 05:02:57 am »

I started shooting on the original Olympus XA at 6. At the time getting film developed was expensive, so there was the added challenge of not wasting any of it.

I think the cheapest point and shoot will be nice. It doesn't need manual controls either, they will find ways to get around the limitations and learn something in the process. Then, if they really are serious, they will ask for something more flexible.

Another solution, that is fun but kind of expensive (because of the prints) is the Polaroid Snap Touch (get the Touch version, very important). It's like the Fuji Instax, but shoots in digital and lets you print only what you want. It's not flimsy, but obviously will need more care than a cheap point and shoot.
Instagram (updated often)

Otto Phocus

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 07:17:46 am »

Cameras for kids?

Nice trade if you can pull it off.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

aaronleitz

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 11:36:02 am »

I don't think 8 and 10 are that young. I "gave" my son my old Canon G9 when he was 3. He has taken some really interesting photos with it. My suggestion is to search Ebay for older point and shoots. Canon powershots can be had from $15 to $75 depending on the age and model. You want them to get out and photograph without worrying about breaking an expensive camera. Alex Majoli has done incredible work with an Olympus 5050 which is a $40 camera. 

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 12:58:51 pm »

I gave my son my old Canon S2 when he was 5 or 6 and he used it a lot and it still actually works (he just turned 14).
A few years later I gave him my old Pentax K-x 12MP dSLR with a kit lens and then later an old manual 50/1.7 and he has gotten good use from that as well.

We also have one of those Olympus Tough Cameras, a TG-2, IIRC. That Tough TG series are good cameras and live up to being tough as long as you close the compartment doors properly.
-MattB

RMW

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 09:37:49 pm »

Thank you all !
It seems like a used P&S for each grand daughter is the way to go.
And if one of them changes her name to Ansel I'll let you know right away.
Thanks again.
Richard

jmichael

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 11:19:48 am »

Cameras for kids?

Nice trade if you can pull it off.

Lol. Hi Otto. I started shooting at age 6 with a 6x9 folding camera. Started processing and printing around age 8. Shot a wedding age 12, made $250 profit, still have the negs and they still look great. Oh, and the $250 was back when gold was $35/oz. Kids can do a lot and aren't yet afraid to experiment. I say go for it.

Jim

Deardorff

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 11:02:53 am »

Thank you all !
It seems like a used P&S for each grand daughter is the way to go.
And if one of them changes her name to Ansel I'll let you know right away.
Thanks again.
Richard

Better if they change it to Dorothea, Margaret or Imogene.

Buy them a few generations old Canon or Nikon DSLR? Dirt cheap, excellent quality still and if they are interested the camera features won't slow them down.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 10:49:06 am »

Olympus, Ricoh/Pentax, Sony, Panasonic, Fujifilm, Canon, Nikon, all make some sort of waterproof cameras, down to 3 or 10m of water depth. Those are the ideal ones for kids.
Pages: [1]   Go Up