Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: www.Photography.info - domain name?  (Read 1266 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
www.Photography.info - domain name?
« on: February 18, 2017, 10:08:21 am »

Hi everyone,

I am currently swapping my hosting company for my "www.Photography.info" domain name after the old company let me down big style.

I have owned this domain since the very beginning (one careful owner from new you could say), where I have run a small but moderately successful business through this site with the "Photography.info" name associated to it, but nothing too strenuous or using any advertising or anything, as I was moving into semi retirement at the time. Anyway to cut to the chase, the guy at the new hosting company tells me that this domain could be worth a significant amount, especially to someone wanting to run a large or even global photographic workshop company through it or something. I suppose I always knew the name was a good one and that it says everything you need to know in the name, but I only bought the name back in the day, because I am a photographer and thought it was an obvious choice and would be best suited to my needs.

So even though I am not actively seeking to sell the name as such, although I am sure I could be persuaded for the right amount, could anyone here advise me how much you think it could be worth if I do decide to sell it, as I really do not have any idea of what it is worth?

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Dave

Endeavour

Re: www.Photography.info - domain name?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 09:13:59 am »

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. :)

domain valuations are quite subjective. Its not like a used car, where there are numerous examples to compare against.

5 years ago it would have been "worth" more (in my opinion) because domain suffixes were quite limited. Now the available naming has been really opened up, people are able to get a lot more choice with their domain

Most domain valuations take into account more than just the name, but also things like traffic, SEO / rankings, age and links to the site etc (i.e. active domains go for a lot more, than dormant ones)
Also, a .info is valued lower than a top level domain like a desirable .com
you can google domain valuations which will take these into account, and you'll find the returned figures will vary wildly (I did a quick search for you, and of the few I tried, I got anywhere between $46.00 and $13,000)

As I said, if someone really wants it, they'll pay you for it. But I wouldnt bank on buying a villa in the sun on the proceeds ;)

Hope that helps

Simon
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 09:21:46 am by Endeavour »

pixjohn

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 10:29:18 pm »

My personal thought:

Photography.com = $$$$$

Photography.info = ¢¢¢¢¢¢

most pro sites use .com. How many pro sites have you ever seen  .info?

As stated above, its worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 11:24:03 am »

Thanks guys, that is really good to know and I say I am not really in the market to sell the domain, so the value to me is what it has always been and that is its a really good name for a photography website and nothing more.

Thanks again

Dave

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 11:49:13 am »

...it has always been and that is its a really good name for a photography website...

Hi Dave,

I would suggest that it is less of a good name for a photographer's site, but might be much more valuable for a photo education site, or a site about photography news and all things related to photography (the likes of PetaPixel). There are probably several budding sites out there, trying to be the next LuLa, DP Review, or  Fred Miranda, so if you are serious in trying to locate a buyer, I'd locate and approach them first.

Endeavour

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 03:58:03 pm »

I've just searched for Photography. domains using a domain search and register service.

Domain search and register results

As one would expect at this stage in the game virtually everything has been taken. I think your domain could be worth considerably more than some of the contributors here have suggested.

I believe there are ways of putting a domain up for sale or open to bids. It could pay you to do a little research.

I think you need to be careful not to fall into the emperor's new clothes or Dutch tulips trap when valuing domains.

The intrinsic value is based more on traffic, than name. i.e. lets say you buy photography.info for $20k  - what return on that investment do you think you are going to get over 5 years without putting in considerable effort on the site? and even then, you will always know you have a domain originally marked for informational, not commercial purposes

how much do you think google.com is worth without the business behind it?

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 08:32:40 am »

Thanks everyone for the info (see what I did there  :D)

But I do actually have an idea for the site which will make it information related, but this will have to wait a wee while until I have finished another project I am working on.

thanks again

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up